Pow r ball .380 ammo - Page 2

Pow r ball .380 ammo

This is a discussion on Pow r ball .380 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; got a Markarov imported 20 yrs ago..target sights..in .380 (9x17) love it...can shot the O in the coke can at 50, every time..just about shot ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pow r ball .380 ammo

got a Markarov imported 20 yrs ago..target sights..in .380 (9x17) love it...can shot the O in the coke can at 50, every time..just about shot up the black talon I bought 10 years ago...but would have no problem packin ball in it..really think ball is a better choice because it will slick through 3 or 4 layers of cloth and get to the meat..maybe after going through some glass or a cheap door...will not feed it +p or hot stuff...lives in a purse mostly and its operator is very confident with it...just the way it is..and I cant disagree with her....

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I personally find that shooting my LCP or 3AT is more punishing recoil wise than any guns I own. 9 oz pistol and physics takes over. My Bersa Thunder .380 is more pleasant, but still snappier than my Glock 26 9mm. Which one do you shoot that has lower recoil and still is small enough to fit in your pocket?
    A Sig P238HD will be more pleasant to shoot than a Bersa or a LCP. the lightweight of the LCP/P3AT is an issue where recoil is concerned, as is the fixed barrel of the Bersa with aluminum frame. I first discovered this with my Colt Mustangs, but as the 238 is nearly identical the same still applies.

The micro 9s come close, but have some reliability issues (not that my first 238 was much better) for what I like in a gun, only the Kahr MK9 comes close to my ideal sub-compact auto in 9mm.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    On the topic of 380 powrball, I would very much avoid this round. I am by no means a person that thinks a 380 won't do the job, or that you need to have a .45 acp for minimum protection exc. But as someone who has done a fair amount of quasi scientific 380 testing, these light "exotic" rounds just don't penetrate anywhere near as well as a normal HP or FMJ.

Shoot FMJ or heavy HP's, they will give you the penetration you need, and I would much rather err on the side of a 9mm hole with adequate penetration than try for the home run and strike out...badly.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

See the testing at GoldenLoki.com

All the testing I've seen with PowRBall shows it to come apart, and underpenetrate. I'd recommend FMJ in the .380 caliber, possibly the Cor Bon 90 gr JHP.

Keep in mind the FBI calls for 12-15 inches penetration. FMJ gets 16-17, while the best JHPs get no more than ~ 13 once they expand.

Performance might be a bit better out of longer barrels, though probably not by much.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

[QUOTE=bmcgilvray;2025023]OOOooo...I don't know about that. I sure like the looks of their .38 Special figures and I've obtained a bit better than their quoted performance when shooting their ammunition over the chronograph from my 2-inch .38 Special revolver. I sure like the looks of that heavier bullet too.

380 Auto +P Ammo - 90 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1200fps M.E. 288 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box

[/QUOTE

May want to take a look at this guy's reviews. He also has a bunch of them in other calibers.

The PowRBall is basically the Glaser Safety Slug with a lead core, they borrowed the bullet jacket.
    So expect fragmentation.

I haven't done any test myself, but out the two that you mentioned and in that caliber, I opt for the HCD. I've read plenty of stats on both and the evidence seems to favor the Critical Defense stuff.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I like the looks of the new BB barnes dpx .380 load.

Pow r ball .380 penetration test

I did a penetration test with pow r ball though my lcp.
    I wanted to simulate a car door. I bent an aluminum cookie sheet over a piece of resin molded ply wood(probably not as strong as normal ply wood) after that I set 2 1 liter soda bottle full of water and then a fire log.
    I shot at 10 feet and it penetrated all 3 and was stuck into the fire log with good expansion, nice peel backs and sharp edges.
    They really do work and they cycle well in my lcp. However I carry zombie max ammo currently. After the recent attacks I get humor out of having the stuff in my gun. I really think it's actually pretty good ammo. Correct me if I'm wrong but it is the same as critical defense.

I recently tested this with denim and SIM-test. It's fine if your gun won't cycle normal JHP ammo and you don't want to carry FMJ. Pocket Guns and Gear: Ballistics testing Cor-Bon Pow'Rball .380 Auto
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

After 150 rounds of FMJ thru my Bersa Thunder .380 I carry and shoot Hornady Critical Defense 90gr ammo.
    This ammo has low recoil, low muzzle flash and is accurate. Here is a video on it:
    Yahoo! Video Detail for Hornady Critical Defense .380 ACP 90 gr Ammo test

This ammo gets 11+ inches of penetration thru 4 layers of denim.

I have a box of Corbon Pwrball 70gr ammo but have not shot it yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links