Pow r ball .380 ammo

Pow r ball .380 ammo

This is a discussion on Pow r ball .380 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anyone use this or have done any ballistics test vs Golden Sabre or Hornady Critical Defense? Corbon Pow`Rball Ammunition PB38070, 380 ACP, Powerball, 70 GR, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pow r ball .380 ammo

Pow r ball .380 ammo

anyone use this or have done any ballistics test vs Golden Sabre or Hornady Critical Defense?

Corbon Pow`Rball Ammunition PB38070, 380 ACP, Powerball, 70 GR, 1100 fps, 20 Rd/bx - Able Ammo
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    anyone use this or have done any ballistics test vs Golden Sabre or Hornady Critical Defense?

Corbon Pow`Rball Ammunition PB38070, 380 ACP, Powerball, 70 GR, 1100 fps, 20 Rd/bx - Able Ammo
    I'm beginning to think that .380 is a marginal round for self defense period. 70 grain ammo sounds pretty light to me regardless of how it's supposed to expand and the price per round makes for some pretty expensive shooting.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

yes that is true BUT the penetration on this round is average 100-150 fps compared to other 90gr ammo. It shall transfer more energy as it dumps into a target.

yes that is true BUT the penetration on this round is average 100-150 fps compared to other 90gr ammo. It shall transfer more energy as it dumps into a target.
    What I'm looking at is that it's not 90 grain ammo, it's 70 grain ammo. My 230 grain .45 cartridges only travel at 850 fps. That's quite a bit slower than anything I have in .380...but I'd put my money on the .45

Go ahead and give them a try. I've got two dozen .380 ACP Glaser Safety Slugs collecting dust in a drawer somewhere. Still in the original packaging.

But after reading this forum, I'm not real confident in .380 no matter how hot the round. Other opinions may vary, we'll see.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Stick with ball ammo.
    Buy Fiocchi .380 FMJ if you don't think your gun can handle Buffalo Bore's stuff. Fiocchi loads a little hotter than domestic brands.

other people have used buffalo bore and said it shoots fine, the fiocchi you are saying is JHP or BALL AMMO?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    What I'm looking at is that it's not 90 grain ammo, it's 70 grain ammo. My 230 grain .45 cartridges only travel at 850 fps. That's quite a bit slower than anything I have in .380...but I'd put my money on the .45

Go ahead and give them a try. I've got two dozen .380 ACP Glaser Safety Slugs collecting dust in a drawer somewhere. Still in the original packaging.

But after reading this forum, I'm not real confident in .380 no matter how hot the round. Other opinions may vary, we'll see.
    look at the ballistics test online and see the specs. I too was a bit weary about .380 but now after owning one bad @ss gun IMO and very accurate i now bet my life with this gun. Buffalo bore 100gr ammo is rated more potential than .38sp if that means anything....

look at the ballistics test online and see the specs. I too was a bit weary about .380 but now after owning one bad @ss gun IMO and very accurate i now bet my life with this gun. Buffalo bore 100gr ammo is rated more potential than .38sp if that means anything....
    I've got two .380's and I too have read the numbers. I'm just starting to find that I'm more comfortable with larger calibers. I used to think .380 was an adequate defense caliber. Now, I'm wondering if 7.62 NATO is enough..

OOOooo...I don't know about that. I sure like the looks of their .38 Special figures and I've obtained a bit better than their quoted performance when shooting their ammunition over the chronograph from my 2-inch .38 Special revolver. I sure like the looks of that heavier bullet too.

380 Auto +P Ammo - 90 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1200fps M.E. 288 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

other people have used buffalo bore and said it shoots fine, the fiocchi you are saying is JHP or BALL AMMO?
    Fiocchi makes both but I am talking about their ball ammo (FMJ).
    I use Fiocchi .25 automatic in my little carry piece, they don't snap as hard () as other brands but feel like they zip faster...must be a slower powder.

OH I do wish Buffalo Bore would make a 55 grain .25 acp flatnose running high 800's.

Now how much and how large is your 38sp revolver compared to a pocket pistol?
    sioux565 likes this.

as advised above, I'd avoid the 70gr .380. The lighter, faster bullets have a tendency to fragment as soon as they enter ballistic gelatin (flesh)and don't achieve the penetration needed to reach vital organs. The only .380 that consistently achieves the FBI minimum pentration standard of 12" is full metal jacket, so I'm just guessing the the Powerball 70 grainer won't come close to that.

just curious why with all the small single stack 9mm's out today that have twice the power you still choose to carry a .380?
    I see by your screen name that you might be a James Bond fan. Anything to do with it?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    just curious why with all the small single stack 9mm's out today that have twice the power you still choose to carry a .380?
    Lower recoil and smaller package (pocket carry).

Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    Lower recoil and smaller package (pocket carry).
    I personally find that shooting my LCP or 3AT is more punishing recoil wise than any guns I own. 9 oz pistol and physics takes over. My Bersa Thunder .380 is more pleasant, but still snappier than my Glock 26 9mm. Which one do you shoot that has lower recoil and still is small enough to fit in your pocket?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Which one do you shoot that has lower recoil and still is small enough to fit in your pocket?
    I don't shoot a .380, I shoot a .25
    Make a 9mm the same size as say a Micro Desert Eagle and youch. You'll get some snap with the lighter designs, in a situation when you need to use one defensively you probably won't notice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links