Thinking of selling my .40 Glocks

This is a discussion on Thinking of selling my .40 Glocks within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like I always say, carry what you can hit the target with. And the gun that fits your hand. Beyond that, the .40 hits significantly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thinking of selling my .40 Glocks

ITW
    Like I always say, carry what you can hit the target with.

And the gun that fits your hand.

Beyond that, the .40 hits significantly harder than a 9mm. And a .45 lacks penetration is some situations.

I carry a 9mm with a good modern load. More ammo, easier to shoot, and a smaller framed gun for my medium sized hands.

To each his own.

Although ammo is easier to find, I don't really see a problem keeping an adequate supply around. Since in a SHTF situation you'll be concentrating on avoiding trouble more than you will looking for it.

Buy a case of disinfectant instead, for purifying water and preventing infection.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    This week our local paper had an article that our local police has changed from the Glock .40's they have issued since 1998 to S&W & Glock 9mms.

The reason for the change sighted better qualification scores by the Officers more shots on target because of less recoil and improvement of 9mm amminition.

Seems like the .40 cal. trend may be reversing itself.

im just the opposite.....i went from 9mm to .40...

i have both a Glock 26 and a 23, and i can absolutely shoot the lights out with the 23.....

most accurate handgun i have ever owned and it is now my daily CCW......

i really like the caliber
    jem102 likes this.

I'll just bet many of you now complaining about the .40S&W's recoil are the same who once called it the ".40 Short & Weak", and touted the 10mm as the "He-man's .40",-- until they tried it, that is.

See what happens when you take Dirty Harry seriously?
    Or perhaps you missed this line in the sequel Magnum Force: "I use a light special load..."

OD* likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    This week our local paper had an article that our local police has changed from the Glock .40's they have issued since 1998 to S&W & Glock 9mms.

The reason for the change sighted better qualification scores by the Officers more shots on target because of less recoil and improvement of 9mm amminition.

Seems like the .40 cal. trend may be reversing itself.
    With the current economic times I could see agencies going to a 9mm, just because of 9mm ammo prices. Most agencies get some sort of deal for making a gun or caliber change. Either cheap prices on the guns, cheap ammo, free ammo or all of the above.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

a lot of agencies are going back to using .45 caliber weapons

I don't like .40 much either. Sell them and get something you'll enjoy. As for the SHTF scenario, I would stockpile rifle ammo, not pistol ammo.
    varob likes this.

No sense keeping guns you don't like shooting, unless they have collector value.

I got rid of all my 9mm's years ago, once I was authorized to carry the .40S&W (or .45ACP) on the job. The 9mm was very easy to handle, but I lacked confidence in it, and still do, despite some improvement in its terminal ballistics since then. This was based on colleagues' actual experiences, not internet folklore.

There are always isolated examples to the contrary, but .40 is still overwhelmingly king in LE circles. Occasionally, 9mm has been re-adopted to accomodate less proficient shooters, sometimes as an option, but too often to the detriment of those who can handle more effective calibers, in the name of uniformity.

There are some departments using the .45ACP, but it continues to be very rare as an issued LE caliber, hardly a sea-change. More typically, but still very rarely, it is an option exercised by officers in departments with more flexible policies (as mine was).

I would add a new 9mm to my carry lineup, but only a proven, dependable weapon more compact than any reliable .40, but I haven't found one yet, so my next step down are older, stainess (i.e. NOT "Airweight") S&W J-frames.

eb
    I have no use for the .40 personally. I just don't need to stock yet another caliber in ammo inventory, 22/380/38/9/45 is plenty... And thats not counting rifles...

I like my xd40sc quite a bit. I have 9mm pistols too and like them also. It makes little difference to me. Buy what you like and get proficient with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Never been a fan of the 40. However, it does have pretty good specs. Since I own 9mms and 45s, I have no use for the caliber and don't want to have to buy more ammo.

If I had the choice of only having one handgun caliber, I might look into the 40. It offers decent specs with decent mag capacity.

I've only shot one 40, but didn't like how snappy it felt compared to the 45s and 9mms.

Love mine. Carry one or the other daily. If you don't, sell them. I had a PM9 and it didn't work for me and I sold it (to buy a 27) and couldn't be happier. Carry what you like. Practice with it as much as you can. If you don't like it, sell it and buy another gun!
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

40 S&W

I've carried 40's on duty for years. 9mm before that. And an occassional 45 as of late. My view and experience are that the 40 doesn't give up much to the 45. Penetrating auto steet or other heavier barriers it may have some advantage. 40 offer higher capacity, better feel and fit for small to middlin' hands. Now all mine were issued Glocks, 22, 23, 30, amd 21. I've settled on the 4o because I have a better grip and thus better control when firing. I can conceal 40s better and carry more rounds at less weight. just my rationale. Whatever you choose become proficient with it. Skills erode quickly.
    Glockwatcher likes this.
    "One mind, any weapon." - Hunter B. Armstrong

In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics.
    They will only remember who lived. - USMC Rules of Gunfighting

Thumbs up

Never was really a 40S&W fan, until I fired and purchased my p229R 40.
    1911-The most beautiful delivery system for 230 Grains of lead

Quote Originally Posted by DryHeat View Post
    I've carried 40's on duty for years. 9mm before that. And an occassional 45 as of late. My view and experience are that the 40 doesn't give up much to the 45. Penetrating auto steet or other heavier barriers it may have some advantage. 40 offer higher capacity, better feel and fit for small to middlin' hands. Now all mine were issued Glocks, 22, 23, 30, amd 21. I've settled on the 4o because I have a better grip and thus better control when firing. I can conceal 40s better and carry more rounds at less weight. just my rationale. Whatever you choose become proficient with it. Skills erode quickly.
    +1 across the board. Though 9mm are almost as good IMHO I would feel fine carry my G26 or G27
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links