Hornady Critical Defense

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a box of Hornady Critical Defense rounds, 165 Gr. I was looking at either these, Federal Hydra Shocks or Hornady FPDs. Anyone use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense

Hornady Critical Defense

Picked up a box of Hornady Critical Defense rounds, 165 Gr. I was looking at either these, Federal Hydra Shocks or Hornady FPDs.
    Anyone use any of these? Good points? bad points?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    At 165gr its hard to go wrong and they should feed like butter. I have them but I also carry other stuff in various weights. Maybe someday I'll find the one that groups the best and call it done.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

You might want to read this thread:

Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP

Personally, I'll take HST or PDX-1 over CD. Given your three listed rounds, I'll take Hydra-Shoks.
    murdoch likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Federal HST > Hornady

HST seems to expand bigger and better in the tests I have seen and comes in heavier weights for caliber which I prefer.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I carry the Critical Defense in 9mm and it cycles great.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The Hornady works and expands every time, I've seen instances of the Hydro Shok not expanding like it should, in an animal. Hornady also makes hunting ammo-they know what works. Also I had a friend once that was having some FTF jams with a compact gun in 9mm. Turns out it fed everything reliably until he went to the heavy bullets (147grn or larger). Would caution using heavier bullets in compacts/short-barrel guns. Have not tried the Fed HST. Their ammo is reliable for ignition, it's just the expansion part I would be wondering about. The Hornady's are 100% consistant from all tests seen.

I bought some CD for my glock 26 when I bought it.......researching now whether it will be my preferred carry ammo or not.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    My G26 shoots fine with this ammo.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Still trying to figure out why anyone carries this over HST, Ranger-T or Gold Dots.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Still trying to figure out why anyone carries this over HST, Ranger-T or Gold Dots.
    Three words:

Slick Advertising Campaign.
    Majorlk likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Ain't that the truth. My friend gave me 50 rounds of 9mm CD. I shot most of it right then and there, but had a few rounds left. They managed to get mixed in with some loose ranger-t 147 gr. It was a pain, but I found the 4 rounds of CD and threw em in the trash.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

I shot a box in 38 Special through my derringer.
    Holy cow it was like shooting a flamethrower...anyways you can't go wrong with the stuff, although I'd opt with something with more penetration.
    For the caliber they are on the light side.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    This is what I have been carrying daily and have been more than satisfied with it at the range.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    The Hornady works and expands every time
    Might want to double check before making definitive statements like this. No handgun bullet is ever 100%, they work at too low a velocity.

LS208 likes this.

VIP Member
    I've been poo pooed on this critical defence ammo subject on another forum, basically the gist was if it is hornady it's got to be good.

However, in shooting different kinds of plastic water filled jugs, I have come to the conclusion that .45 acp Critical defence bullets expand too fast, exit holes if you can call them a hole look like the jug was broke by a hammer not shot with a bullet.

Is it an issue in summer, probably not. Is it an issue in winter and heavy coats, maybe.

What I suggest is if you want to use them don't just base your decision on how they work shooting paper tgts. Go test them yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links