How does a JHP actually work?

This is a discussion on How does a JHP actually work? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know the purpose of a JHP is to expand when it hits its target to create a larger wound channel, but what actually makes ...

Thread: How does a JHP actually work?

How does a JHP actually work?

I know the purpose of a JHP is to expand when it hits its target to create a larger wound channel, but what actually makes it expand? What can cause it not to expand? Also if the JHP is dependent on velocity to expand Wouldn't a 4" barrel and a 3" barrel handgun require different types of JHP's to ensure expansion? Probably a super novice question but I never got how they worked, thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Pressure, creates sufficient force inside the hollow point that it overcomes the ability of the lead and jacket to maintain its shape and is forced outward.

Anything that gets in the cavity that prevents pressure from being exerted outward against the jacket.

Hollow points are generally designed to work within a velocity bracket. As long as the velocity remains within that bracket, the length of the barrel is irrelevant.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    It works off the principle of hydraulics. Picture the bullet speeding towards it's intended recipient, a nice warm fluid filled body. The bullet hits and fluid rushes into the large hollow cavity, forcing the pre-cut "petals" of the HP open, creating a large diameter cutting device. Now picture the bullet speeding along and hitting the body, except there is a couple layers of clothing to go through first. The hollow cavity gets filled and "plugged" by the bad guy's thick denim jacket, and when the bullet finally reaches the bodily fluid the fluid cannot enter the hollow cavity and force the petals open. That's all it is, a high speed bullet, fluid, and hydraulics.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Some brands such as Corbon Pow'RBall and Hornady Critical Defense already have the cavity of the bullet "clogged" with a specifically designed plug (rubber/plastic).
    The plug keeps materials such as clothing from entering the cavity, but once it enters a fluid-like environment the plug deforms to permit and assist in the expansion of the bullet.

Thanks guys I understand now

Links