45 lc versus 410 shells

This is a discussion on 45 lc versus 410 shells within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At basically arms reach range from a short barrel, would you rather rely on 45 lc or one of the 410 shells? It seems to ...

View Poll Results: Which load? 45 lc or 410?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45 long colt

16 88.89%
  • 410 shotshell

2 11.11%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JD

Thread: 45 lc versus 410 shells

45 lc versus 410 shells

At basically arms reach range from a short barrel, would you rather rely on 45 lc or one of the 410 shells? It seems to me that the lc looks better for stopping Mr. BG. Which 45 or 410 load?

Thoughts?
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I guess it really depends on WHAT .410 load you're talking about, but I'd rather have a .45LC than a .410 anything.

It depends, are you talking about a long gun or a handgun?

2 or 3 inch bbl pistol.
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

VIP Member
    For two legged varmints then it’s 45LC, now the no legged kind I would use the .410.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    As an upland bird hunting round the .410 gets no respect at all.

So out of a short barreld handgun even when loaded with 4 or 5" buckshot" seems like a mighty poor choice.

Most hunters dont think a .410 is enough gun for a 16 oz. quail!

For .45 Long Colt load: 45 Colt ANTI-PERSONNEL Std. Pressure Low Flash Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
    For a .410 load: DUPO 7 Short Magnum
    Both are good choices, haven't shot them personally but I imagine the .410 Ddupleks would have less recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    For .45 Long Colt load: 45 Colt ANTI-PERSONNEL Std. Pressure Low Flash Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
    For a .410 load: DUPO 7 Short Magnum
    Both are good choices, haven't shot them personally but I imagine the .410 Ddupleks would have less recoil.
    Both excellent suggestions. I have seen the BB Anti-Personnel round, but not the other. It looks to ne better than most.

I also think that indoors, all of the 410 loads would penetrate less sheetrock.

But overall, I'm not seeing the 410 as a defensive round. With the one exception you submitted.

TOF
    The .410 pistols are IMHO for those that collect one of everything, those that don't know a great deal about guns or so PC they don't want to hurt the bad guy just help him find himself.

Out of a 3 inch barrel the 410 is worthless at any significant distance and not the equal of .45LC when close.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Pretty much what I felt. Even the slugs look like the equal of a 9mm at best.

The Dupo shows promise, but nothing else. The Dupo website has videos of that 410 versus 4 layers of denim then 10% gelatin. I wanna say it was at 20 yards. It has petals that fragment off and penetrate 6 inches, while the core penetrated 16 inches. That's a 2.5 inch shell. Not too bad.

The .45 Long Colt with 250-255 grain lead bullets traveling 700-900 fps is more sensible than a silly, ungainly .410 revolver and these so-called specialty loads. The only thing the .410 revolvers are good for are sucking in the unaware. Was a great marketing scheme but may have run its course. Smith & Wesson introduced the Governor just as the fad seems to have abated somewhat.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links