Does 9mm have enough stopping power? - Page 6

Does 9mm have enough stopping power?

This is a discussion on Does 9mm have enough stopping power? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The FBI mininmum penetration test of 12" in ballistic gelatin for defensive handgun calibers is always a good start when selecting your carry round. I ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Does 9mm have enough stopping power?

The FBI mininmum penetration test of 12" in ballistic gelatin for defensive handgun calibers is always a good start when selecting your carry round. I carry 147 gr standard pressure JHP's in my carry 9mm's, 180gr JHP's in my Glock 23, and 230 gr JHP's in .45acp. For the Glock 32 and 33 in .357SIG, its Hornady TAP 147gr JHP @1250 fps.....which probably would be completely off the picture below.

Last edited by zonker1986; September 28th, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

FBI Report on Shooting

I've attached a FBI follow up report on a shooting. 3 Officers and 1 Bad Guy. Bad Guy a 45acp, Officers used 40 S & W and .223/5.56. As this shows placement is everything!

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!
    Attached Files
    tcon67 likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Absolutely.
    +1 Absolutely

I am a retired LEO. I was on the job for 32 years. If I had a dollar for everyone I saw shot to death with just a .380 I could buy a nice steak dinner.
    tcon67 likes this.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

I absolutely believe that as i have done some pumpkin shots and water jug test and boy does the .380 have power out a 2.7 inch barrel and even more out a longer barrel. That is why i choose to EDC my P238, i put another 100 rounds through it remington 88gr HP ammo and she swallowed them whole without any issue
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

In terms of energy, velocity matters a whole lot more than size of the projectile. energy=1/2(mass*velocity^2)
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    What are your thoughts?
    I always think of this when people ask this question about a 9mm... Nuff said

9mm.jpg
    gottabkiddin and 10thmtn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by laguna0seca View Post
    In terms of energy, velocity matters a whole lot more than size of the projectile. energy=1/2(mass*velocity^2)
    so speaking in .380 terms you would go with a higher velocity bullet vs a heavier bullet? Many people say to use FMJ for penetration because HP will not expand reliably but i will continue to carry my HCD ammo and hopefully not have to find out if it does....
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

True, but not when you add the hollow point to the equation....

It dumps a large amount of it's energy on impact, unless it gets clogged that is..

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Another trip into the great-sucking-black hole-vortex of a ballistics discussion at DC.
    guardmt likes this.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Pointblank View Post
    I am a retired LEO. I was on the job for 32 years. If I had a dollar for everyone I saw shot to death with just a .380 I could buy a nice steak dinner.
    then you must have been totally comfortable carrying a .380ACP as your primary duty weapon, right?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Yes, but since higher kinetic energy is only loosely related to real-world effectiveness...
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Here is my two cents. In most civilian concealed carry events out in public a 9mm with a quality hollow point is a great round for self defense. I look at shooting situations for civilian concealed carriers in two parts. First is shot place, 2 x 124 grain hollow points entering a person's chest through the sternum do the trick. As for the "ONE SHOT STOP" it doesn't matter anyway, most every shooting I've ever heard of has multiple shots being fired. More times than not a person is going to fire more than one shot simply due to stress and being in the heat of the moment, and that will bring ones training into perspective as to how well they can do follow up shots under extreme stress. Second is going to be tactics. Saying that you made your good shots on the bad person, a person is going to have two choices 1 is to break contact and move to a position that will give them a better advantage on the BG or 2 is to close with the BG and continue to engage until there is no more threat. With good shooting, strong tactics and a whole lot of luck one should survive a potential lethal encounter.

As to the overall stopping power of a particular round, I think there are way too many variables that come into play for example the makeup of the person, are they on some sort of mind altering substance, how determined they are to fight and such. I personally saw a suicide bomber in Afghanistan take two rounds to the chest from a M240B and three rounds from a M4. He was still able to get up and move close enough to blow himself up and injure 3 US Soldiers.

there was a study done by medical examiner that basically says that any caliber can do you in, the difference is shot placement and how quickly the person goes down and bleeds out. a .22 can kill you just like a .45 can, but the .45 would probably cause more trauma resulting in a quicker death

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    there was a study done by medical examiner that basically says that any caliber can do you in, the difference is shot placement and how quickly the person goes down and bleeds out. a .22 can kill you just like a .45 can, but the .45 would probably cause more trauma resulting in a quicker death
    I don't think a medical examiners point of view on how efficient a particular round is in killing someone and how fast has any baring on how effective a 9mm round is. I don't think that self defense with any sort of weapon is about killing someone else. When you are talking about using a tool such as a gun or knife or other deadly object in protecting ones self, someone is likely going to either be killed or seriously injured. Stopping a treat against your life can mean anything from posturing yourself to show the BG that you can protect yourself to firing possible lethal shots.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links