Golden Saber?

This is a discussion on Golden Saber? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; carry them in my 9mm, 40 and 45 I use the bonded GS to prevent jacket seperation....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Saber?

carry them in my 9mm, 40 and 45 I use the bonded GS to prevent jacket seperation.

2. Remove Ads

Must be bonded

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son
    I fired some into wet pack beside some Gold Dots. The Golden Sabers were 200gr +P and all of them seperated from the jacket.

All of the Gold Dot's stayed together. I'll take some pics and post. Now that I know how.

This is just what happend in my unscientific test, on that given day, in my little part of the world. In other words, I'm no expert, or balistics expert.
    The Saber is a awesome round BUT they must be the bonded ones or they will come apart. I have never had or seen a bonded Golden Saber come apart. Makes me kind of wonder why they make the non-bonded ones.Hmmmmmm
    Be Safe & Shoot Str8

Quote Originally Posted by Packing26
    The Saber is a awesome round BUT they must be the bonded ones or they will come apart. I have never had or seen a bonded Golden Saber come apart. Makes me kind of wonder why they make the non-bonded ones.Hmmmmmm
    Uh, because it doesn't really matter that much in the real world, maybe? Ever hear of someone surviving a gunshot wound because a few grains of (sharp, still moving pretty fast) jacket material came off the big frickin' heavy chunk of lead *after* it was inside their body? Given that all the separations I've seen were fully "flowered," they're not falling apart until they've already done some serious damage.

Every time I've shot them into soft backers, the jacket penetrated well into the cavity before it stopped (or, in most cases, didn't separate at all), and shooting them into mud with gravel kept them together pretty well, for some reason.

I too like the GS. I used them in my Ruger P97DC, which they no longer make : ( . I have had a different experience than some here though. I used the 185 gr. +p loads & I had quit a bit of muzzle flash. I'de say maybe 12 in. worth. They are accurate though, my friend & I went to the gun range he was using a decked out 1911 & I had the Ruger & at 10 yds., my pattern was pretty tight ( all rounds were in a 4 in. circle ). That was firing fast too as if to dump the whole mag into an opponent.
    Now I realise there are several factors involved here as far as accuracy was concerned, but the Ruger was almost straight out of the box where as he had his 1911 for several months & had practice with it.

VIP Member
    I do not think it matters much if the jacket separates, unless your shooting a bear.

I had the opportunity to see the damage created by a 185 gr +P GS shortly after the perp attempted to murder one of my co-workers with it. It went through the windshield over his right shoulder and through the plexi-glass barrier on the cage. The hole created was very impressive. So impressive that I now carry it in my personal weapon. Sorry, no real life experience with the .40 GS.

Discussions from those who tested the GS in gelatin indicate it expands after clothing and, in some cases, the jacket is loose, but doesn't seperate. As somebody mentioned, a seperating jkt isn't necessarily a bad thing in people. If I planned for shooting through car bodies and windshields, then I might pick the bonded version, since it was designed for that. Don't think the bonded version was created because the GS design needed improvement on non barricaded subjects.

Doesn't anybody remember the .357 mag. 125 jhp or sjhp that routinely had jkt seperations and fragmented on human targets? The same bullet whose effectiveness has not been exceeded (or perhaps equaled) with any of the LE this, or bonded that, in any other caliber.
    Last edited by Nnobby45; August 26th, 2006 at 07:24 PM.

Tightest group in my testing with 2 Glock 26s. Cheaper than dirt has 9mm for 8-9 a box .40 was $9-$11 plus shipping I think.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i have carried them in the past and still have a box of .357 Sig around here somewhere....
    Its the load that Sulliven County Sherriffs Dept issues now for G22's...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I use the 230gr GS for carry and they function perfectly fine in any gun I've tried them in so far. They're far from inferior and one of three defensive loads I'd carry without hestitation (provided all three fed reliably). In no particular order: Rem. Golden Saber, Fed. Hydrashock, Speer Gold Dot - all in 230 grain of course.
    Jack

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I use the Golden Saber in .45, .38 Super, and 9mm handloads as well as their factory rounds in .45 and 9mm. I've also used their 125-gr. .357 mid-power Golden Saber in my SP101.

I killed one deer using a .38 Super and a 147-gr. Golden Saber handload in which the bullet was moving just under 1200 ft/sec, certainly above the roughly 1000 ft/sec velocity envelope for which it was designed. The deer was struck broadside and penetration, jacket and all was complete. The animal was about 14" thick.

This picture is of the Golden Saber handload mentioned above after being fired into super-saturated newsprint that had soaked 24 hours and was drained 30 minutes before shooting.

When fired into water, the bullet and jacket did separate, but I don't see the round as being "ineffective" because of it.

This factory 230-gr. Golden Saber was fired into water from a 5" 1911 and did not suffer bullet/jacket separation. For me, about 1 in 5 do.

This one struck bone and expansion is not nearly so uniform and "nice" as when homogeneous test media is used. The bullet jacket was also recovered and was found in the last couple of inches of the wound track, near the expanded bullet.

"Anecdotal" after action reports I've received from folks using the Golden Saber have been positive in 9mm and .45. Both the standard pressure 124 and 147-gr. 9mm Golden Sabers seem to "do good" as do the 230-gr. GS's in .45 ACP. I'd think that the 185's would too, but I have no knowledge of how they react from either users in real world shootouts or from personally shooting critters with it.

Here are a 380 ACP 80-gr expanded DPX and 102-gr Golden Saber that were fired into super-saturated newsprint.

Best.

Okay, now I'm wondering how the bonded versions compare to the standard stuff.
    Jack

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I have not tried the bonded version. I have read tests by folks who have and the gist seems to be a bit less expansion, but no jacket/core separations.

Best.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    I bought 2 25-round boxes of Golden Sabers - 165 gr. BJHP for my XD-40 for $9.99 each. That seemed like a good deal to me. Should I go back and buy more at that price?

Dang I hate your pricing, if you can find it up here be prepared to pay $28 for a bx of 25

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp View Post
    Hello. I have not tried the bonded version. I have read tests by folks who have and the gist seems to be a bit less expansion, but no jacket/core separations.

Best.
    Thanks for the info, that seems to be in agreement with what little I've heard about them. Always glad to have your input on topics like this.

I'd think the reduced expansion in the bonded GS would lend itself to a bit more penetration - a plus in barrier penetration and/or medium sized game hunting ... just my mental meanderings on that though.

I've got a few boxes of different .45 loads I've been wanting to function test coming from Midway today. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the range later this week and try them out.
    Jack

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links