Opnion on 9mm ammo/gun match up with Federal HST LE 147 and Speer LE 124+P

This is a discussion on Opnion on 9mm ammo/gun match up with Federal HST LE 147 and Speer LE 124+P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tested 100 rounds in the G19 (mostly Federal) and CM9 (mostly Speer) . Zero feed issues. Recoil of the CM9 with the +P was very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opnion on 9mm ammo/gun match up with Federal HST LE 147 and Speer LE 124+P

tested 100 rounds in the G19 (mostly Federal) and CM9 (mostly Speer) . Zero feed issues. Recoil of the CM9 with the +P was very manageable.

My plan is to use the Federal LE HST 147 in my G19 and Speer LE 124+P in my CM9 (research indicated the shorter barrel could benefit from the +P round).

Make sense?

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    As a general rule the heavier bullets lose less velocity out of shorter barrels.

But if the velocity is within it's design envelope it shouldn't really matter.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    As a general rule the heavier bullets lose less velocity out of shorter barrels.

But if the velocity is within it's design envelope it shouldn't really matter.

Jim
    so have I got it backwards? Maybe the +P is better in the Glock because it handles the kick better?

Mac you cant go wrong with either Gold Dot or the HST. I was using the 124+P but have since switched to the standard pressure 147gr in my G26 and PM9. Check out Tnoutdoors9 on you tube, he does some great ammunition tests for 9mm,40 and 45, I think that may help answer some questions.

I'd run the 147's in both pistols.

Makes ammo shopping a whole lot easier.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I stagger load between the two. POI variation at normal SD distances is negligible.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The HST rounds are not as dependant on velocity in terms of expansion. They have a much wider range. The Speers on the other hand are much more dependant on velocity. If I were you and you do not need a bonded round and are partial to the HST round, I would go with 147's.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

My round of choice is either the Gold Dot, or Golden Saber in the standard pressure 147gr offering.... Either or will perform just fine in the BG.

Outa the two that you mentioned, I'd opt for the Federal LE HST 147gr, but only because of the heavier round. JMO, YMMV
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; September 24th, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I'd run the 147's in both pistols.

Makes ammo shopping a whole lot easier.
    Agreed. With that said though, I may be traveling in the opposite direction now. I've been using 147 gr HST's in my P2000, but just picked up a beautiful P7 - a pistol that tends to not run as well with 147's because of the delayed gas piston operation and was designed around the 124. So I may be moving to 124 +P for both the P2000 and the P7 now.

Both rounds are top notch though, along with the Winchester Ranger-T series I think those are the most widely acclaimed 9mm SD rounds today. Can't go wrong with either.

Can't get any better than Speer +P 124 grain load, just stick with that.

I run the 147 +P HST in my G19 and the standard 147 HST in my CM9. I find the recoil more manageble in the CM9 with a standard load and can get a quicker follow up shot. The CM9 is my summer pocket gun so thin clothes during that time doesn't warrant a +P so I am fine with that. If you are comfortable with +P in your CM9, run that.

124 gr.+p Gold Dot or Golden Saber in my G-19.

Both feed flawlessly in my Glock and accuracy is quite acceptable.

They are quality reliable performers in documented actual shootings as are your choices.

Use what you like and hit what you shoot and you will be just fine with either of your mentioned rounds in either of your guns.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    Agreed. With that said though, I may be traveling in the opposite direction now. I've been using 147 gr HST's in my P2000, but just picked up a beautiful P7 - a pistol that tends to not run as well with 147's because of the delayed gas piston operation and was designed around the 124. So I may be moving to 124 +P for both the P2000 and the P7 now.

Both rounds are top notch though, along with the Winchester Ranger-T series I think those are the most widely acclaimed 9mm SD rounds today. Can't go wrong with either.
    Wow, that's news; my P7, P7M8, and both of my P7M13's have no problems with 147's whatsoever.

But, run what you like. There's no arguing the 124+P's are good rounds.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Mac, like you I have been thinking about trying 147 gr. I use Winchester Ranger 127 +p+ in my HK and M&P and in my PM9 have using mostly Ranger and occasionally HST 124+p, but I am curious about the relative recoil of 147 in the PM9 and have just picked up a box of Ranger 147 to try in the PM9. I want to try the HST 147 +p as well.

I have never shot 147, but most people say it recoils less and that might translate to faster split times for me in the Kahr. By the way, I don't have a shot timer, but just downloaded a free shot timer app for the iphone. After I get to the range, I 'll report back on both the ammo and the app.

Here's the URL for the app App Store - ShotTimer

just wanted to say thanks to all above for great feedback and link to the shot timer from bklynboy, and to add that I definitely think the standard pressure 147 had less recoil than the +P

also I wanted to try the Rangers but they were restricted; delivery to LE agency only

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links