9mm defense rounds - Page 2

9mm defense rounds

This is a discussion on 9mm defense rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; it's been over 24 hours and nobody said it so i will, a 9mm just won't cut it, if it ain't a 45 you might ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 9mm defense rounds

it's been over 24 hours and nobody said it so i will, a 9mm just won't cut it, if it ain't a 45 you might as well just have a rock ......like other have said, whatever kind you use, make sure your gun likes it and that you can make it hit where you want....i use speer gold dots 124's

Go here and check out different bullets for yourself. Not the end all be all of testing, but certainly good info.

tnoutdoors9's Channel - YouTube

I've watched them all and I can tell you the Gold Dot in 124+p is a great choice (easy to find too). The Federal HST in 124+p or 147 and 147+p are also very intriguing. My "favorite" 9mm round is the CorBon DPX 115+p. Those copper bullets do good things. Drawback being $40 for 20 rounds. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by glock42 View Post
    what is the best 9mm personel defense load
    I can only say what I use which is 147 grain Speer GDHP. Can't say with certainty that it's the best.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I can only say what I use which is 147 grain Speer GDHP. Can't say with certainty that it's the best.
    I think ANY Gold Dot is "the best". NYPD uses the 124+p in all their duty weapons, among a whole bunch of others. Tried and true, plenty of real life shooting data on them, and I think I can trust GD too.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glock42 View Post
    what is the best 9mm personel defense load
    Anything you wouldn't stand in front of ;-)
    glock42 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like the others have said, anything that's on Dr. Roberts' list will work plenty well enough.

Note that he did not list the rounds in any kind of order - so from that list, just pick what's most readily available to you, and start trying them out in *_your_* specific defensive pistol(s). Not "his" Glock. Not "my" Glock. *_YOUR_* Glock. Every single pistol is a little different, based on production variances alone: make sure your chosen SD/HD rounds functions well in *your* specific, unique, pistol.

It doesn't matter if you land a somehow magical bullet with amazing terminal ballistics, if that bullet can't find its way out of the barrel because your gun won't feed/fire the round correctly or reliably.

In this life-and-death situation, you'll want to have done your due-diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Go here and check out different bullets for yourself. Not the end all be all of testing, but certainly good info.

tnoutdoors9's Channel - YouTube

I've watched them all and I can tell you the Gold Dot in 124+p is a great choice (easy to find too). The Federal HST in 124+p or 147 and 147+p are also very intriguing. My "favorite" 9mm round is the CorBon DPX 115+p. Those copper bullets do good things. Drawback being $40 for 20 rounds. Ouch!
    This is the round I carry in my Glock as well. I have used it for real once - to shoot a very large pit bull that was killing our dog. The round went in the front shoulder, and broke the skin just in front of the opposite side rear leg - no penetration. Dog immediately dropped our dog, trotted 5-10 ft away and fell over dead.

Yes, they are more expensive than other SD rounds, but I feel comforted carrying them, and they work and shoot well in my Glock.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    In my Glock 26 & Kahr K9 (3.5 inch barrels) I like the 115 grain federal +p+ load. 98B I think is the stock number.

I Know that If I had a 4 to 5 inch barreld 9mm I would go with a heavier bullet, a 124 grain Hydra-Shock or Gold Dot.

If you arent using Black Talons, you arent safe. They may be a little more expensive, but its worth it. You can hit a BG anywhere on his body, and the round does the rest. The bullet expands into a miniature AC-130 gunship. It flies around inside the body, laying down fire to all vital organs. The bullet then exits the BG, and goes into "seek mode". It'll hover for up to 12 minutes, looking for other BG's in the area. It has built in algorithm's to seek out possible ambush points also. It can neutralize up to 25 BG's in a single shot. Imagine what a 7 round sling of these can do. You can protect your whole family from any threat in a 10 mile radius. The media told me so.

OK, ignore everything i've said so far. Start paying attention.........NOW!! You cant really go wrong with any of the commercially available JHP ammo out there. It's all quite good, and the differences between them is pretty small. Alot of it boils down to what your gun likes the best.

I prefer Federal HST when I can get it, but usually carry Ranger T +p in my 9mm. Which, by the way, IS a perfectly adequate defense cartridge. Not my personal favorite, but I have one and am not a bit afraid to carry it.

I subscribe to Tntoutdoors9's channel on YouTube and find it informative. However, I think the only really valid results thus far have been his new tests with SIM test material, shooting jugs of water proves nothing. I am happy to see so many people choosing the Golden Saber line. I think it's a very sound choice and I carry it in 147 grain in all my 9mm's. I prefer the 147 grain weight for two reasons, one is guaranteed penetration regardless of clothing and secondly, it's a subsonic load. I won't go quite as deaf in my house should I have to use it.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I prefer Federal HST when I can get it, but usually carry Ranger T +p in my 9mm. Which, by the way, IS a perfectly adequate defense cartridge. Not my personal favorite, but I have one and am not a bit afraid to carry it.
    Agree on the Fed HST. I buy as much as possible when I can find it.
    ...T. Ray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links