9mm defense rounds

This is a discussion on 9mm defense rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what is the best 9mm personel defense load...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 9mm defense rounds

9mm defense rounds

what is the best 9mm personel defense load

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Ones that function in your gun well.
    joker1 likes this.

I carry Remington Golden Sabre 9mm +p 124 grain JHP in my GLOCK 19, may someday switch to Speer Gold Dot 9mm +p 124 grain for it's bondedness. Lots of great SD HP ammo out there but definately make sure whatever you pick works good in your pistol.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Ones that function in your gun well.
    Pretty much. I could only use ball ammo through my 3913 until i had some work done on my ramp.

VIP Member
    I go with Golden Sabers, as well, since I can afford to cycle them regularly.

Short answer: There is no best.

Longer answer...read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Choose one of the rounds listed under 9mm. Keep in mind that, performance-wise, they are all pretty much equal; some may be better in some areas than others, but they all tend to show good expansion after going through things like heavy clothing and still penetrate the 12" FBI minimum. You may find that some are harder to find and/or more expensive than others. Buy a box or two. Load all of your carry magazines to full capacity, and see if your pistol fires them reliably, and if you think they are accurate and controllable in rapid fire. If you are satisfied, no need to look any further; you've got a great load for your piistol.

Don't worry about what other people use.
    glock42, tcon67 and oneshot like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I carry Remington Golden Sabre 9mm +p 124 grain JHP in my GLOCK 19, may someday switch to Speer Gold Dot 9mm +p 124 grain for it's bondedness. Lots of great SD HP ammo out there but definately make sure whatever you pick works good in your pistol.
    I carry this same load. It functions well in my guns and has a decent track record. It's somewhat cheaper than other defensive loads, so I see no need to change ammo.

thanks for the advice

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Anything modern that works well in your pistol. Winchester Ranger T-series for me... +P+ 127 grain in my Glock, 147 grain in my PF-9.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I have Hornady FTX in 115gr in my S&W SD9 right now. I like the Ballistic tests this load has demonstrated and it feeds well.

I carry the 147gr standard pressure Golden Sabers in my 9mm. I have a couple of mags loaded with the 124gr +p Gold Dots too, either or will do the deed if required.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Depends, there are several with excellent ballistics. I shoot some of those better of those much better out of my 2 EDC guns than some other rounds though they are fine rounds.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Cuda66;2041979]Short answer: There is no best.

Longer answer...read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Choose one of the rounds listed under 9mm. Keep in mind that, performance-wise, they are all pretty much equal; some may be better in some areas than others, but they all tend to show good expansion after going through things like heavy clothing and still penetrate the 12" FBI minimum. You may find that some are harder to find and/or more expensive than others. Buy a box or two. Load all of your carry magazines to full capacity, and see if your pistol fires them reliably, and if you think they are accurate and controllable in rapid fire. If you are satisfied, no need to look any further; you've got a great load for your piistol.

QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To long answer.

And, "Don't worry about what other people use".[/
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Kahr PM9 with Speer GDHP 124 gr. +P
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Winchester , speer or remington defense ammo in +p is best. in standard ammo hard to beat silvertips..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links