CCI Stingers Cost Twice As Much As Mini Mags. Is It Worth It? - Page 2

CCI Stingers Cost Twice As Much As Mini Mags. Is It Worth It?

This is a discussion on CCI Stingers Cost Twice As Much As Mini Mags. Is It Worth It? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by g26az Back in the early 80's, I bought a box to try out. Shot a small jackrabbit with one from a Ruger ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCI Stingers Cost Twice As Much As Mini Mags. Is It Worth It?

Quote Originally Posted by g26az View Post
    Back in the early 80's, I bought a box to try out. Shot a small jackrabbit with one from a Ruger 10/22, and it blew him into two, and nearly three pieces. Figured they had just a little too much expansion for small game hunting. As for SD, the only handgun that I moght possibly use in that role is a NAA mini-revolver that I carry when I'm not carring a gun. Not sure how it would work out of that short of a barrel, though.

I shot the old ones and the new ones from a NAA Mini. The old lead ones (MPB OR Aguilla made, I forget) actually fragmented as designed from the tiny barrel (as tested in wet newspaper if that matters). The newer ones, and Stingers, keyholed in that gun. Bottom line is they will fragment from snubs but I wouldn't trust it against people.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Great points made here from everyone, thank you so much for your input.

I watched a Youtube video last night where a guy was reviewing the Stingers. He took took a Stinger and Mini Mag apart and measured the difference in powder. The interesting point that he made though was about the primer that CCI puts in their ammo. He talked like it had more primer than standard ammo from other manufacturers. I've heard people complain about the bulk Federal ammo not always firing and containing an "X" number of duds per box. Have you guys noticed that the CCIs don't misfire at the same rate as other ammo, especially the bulk Federal?

We sell multiple brands at the range where I work. I don't really see any brand with consistantly bad performance. Sometimes a Remington fails, sometimes a Federal, maybe a CCI. The problem is more frequently the gun and the maintenence. We sell thousands of rounds a week of rimfire.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    What do you think, are Stingers worth twice as much as Mini Mags? Are Min Mags as effective as Stingers for half the money?

On one last note, I posted here because some people do consider .22 to be a SD caliber for home defense. I do believe a case can be made for using a .22 rifle for home SD.
    Probably good in a rifle. But one mistake I often see is people advocating these to be used in 22 pistols, such as the Walther P22. The stingers are slightly longer than a regular .22LR and will not chamber all the way on some .22 pistols. In which case it is common for them to explode out the back of the bullet when fired. There are notices in the Walther P22 manual as well as on CCI's websites not to use stingers in certain guns.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    I have a .22lr pistol that is sensitive to what I use. It hates Federal. It will work moderately well with ordinary Remington, but sometimes it won't cycles the slide. Mini Mags reliably cycle the slide.

I've tried Stingers and keep a few boxes in the house. They work very very well and I can feel the difference in the total energy easily. There is even a tad of muzzle tilt that I don't perceive with the other stuff.

If my pistol would reliably cycle with plain old basic .22lr that is what I would use.

I do keep my mag filled with Stingers in the unlikely event that would be what I can get to for SD, but that is not my purpose in having a .22. And, there may be good arguments why Stingers aren't the best choice for SD because the bullet is about 25% lighter---

Bottom line-- personal preference, what the gun will handle, and budget.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

My (new) Ruger 10/22 is still a bit finicky and tends to like the higher priced .22. Sucks. I tried cheap lead, cheap jacketed and the more I spent the better it cycled. Good thing that even expensive .22 is still a hell of a lot cheaper than centerfire otherwise I'd be pissed :)

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    We sell multiple brands at the range where I work. I don't really see any brand with consistantly bad performance. Sometimes a Remington fails, sometimes a Federal, maybe a CCI. The problem is more frequently the gun and the maintenence. We sell thousands of rounds a week of rimfire.
    I am taking your word in regards to this so please don't take it that I'm trying to discredit your real world experience but I do see on here occasionally people saying that rimfire ammo is known to misfire (its implied to be more so than with others) and Federal bulk as well is somewhat often mentioned to be questionably reliable ammo. So with all of that being said, I'm a little confused on different impressions some people are left with when talking about these matters. Perhaps the guys that talk about bulk Federal ammo being so bad that they would never buy it happen to have guns that won't feed well with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I have a .22lr pistol that is sensitive to what I use. It hates Federal. It will work moderately well with ordinary Remington, but sometimes it won't cycles the slide. Mini Mags reliably cycle the slide.

I've tried Stingers and keep a few boxes in the house. They work very very well and I can feel the difference in the total energy easily. There is even a tad of muzzle tilt that I don't perceive with the other stuff.

If my pistol would reliably cycle with plain old basic .22lr that is what I would use.

I do keep my mag filled with Stingers in the unlikely event that would be what I can get to for SD, but that is not my purpose in having a .22. And, there may be good arguments why Stingers aren't the best choice for SD because the bullet is about 25% lighter---

Bottom line-- personal preference, what the gun will handle, and budget.
    Very good point about Stingers being a little light in the grain area, making it a poor choice for SD.

A .22 wouldn't be my first choice either for home SD but its not something I'd rule out in a SHTF scenario. If I ran out of my 40 S&W and 00 Buckshot don't think for a minute that I'd hesitate to pick up my .22 rifle.

i have never found the Stinger to be accurate

No Stingers for me. The couple of boxes I've tried were not accurate, displayed entirely too much velocity variation over the chronograph, and actually had less energy at 100 yards than a high-velocity solid. I'm not particularly interested in "explosive" expansion at closer ranges.

Besides, I've not had any problems dropping small game and critters with more traditional .22 Long Rifle loadings.

For self-defense with .22 Long Rifle I would choose high-velocity solids, and only solids, no matter what length barrel was being used. rifle or handgun. I would desire penetration above all other considerations.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    No Stingers for me. The couple of boxes I've tried were not accurate, displayed entirely too much velocity variation over the chronograph, and actually had less energy at 100 yards than a high-velocity solid. I'm not particularly interested in "explosive" expansion at closer ranges.

Besides, I've not had any problems dropping small game and critters with more traditional .22 Long Rifle loadings.

For self-defense with .22 Long Rifle I would choose high-velocity solids, and only solids, no matter what length barrel was being used. rifle or handgun. I would desire penetration above all other considerations.
    When you say, "solids", you mean round nose? NOT hollow points? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I watched a Youtube video last night where a guy was reviewing the Stingers. He took took a Stinger and Mini Mag apart and measured the difference in powder. The interesting point that he made though was about the primer that CCI puts in their ammo. He talked like it had more primer than standard ammo from other manufacturers. I've heard people complain about the bulk Federal ammo not always firing and containing an "X" number of duds per box. Have you guys noticed that the CCIs don't misfire at the same rate as other ammo, especially the bulk Federal?
    While I have no direct knowledge (but would welcome same), I would not assume that the very same powder is in the Mini Mag and the Stinger. Might be - might not. Anyone here have the straight scoop from CCI?

The other thing I'll note is that bulk-pack .22 ammo, regardless of brand, will almost always have more duds and lesser accuracy than the 'regular' stuff packed in 50- and 100-round boxes. I don't think I've ever had a dud with Mini-Mags, Winchester 100-packs of any flavor, Blazer or Fed Am Eagle sold in bricks, but I've been consistently disappointed with Winchester and Remington bulk pack stuff (just haven't tried the Fed bulk yet). Forget about reliable feeding in my bull-barreled 10/22s; feeding is better in the stock 10/22s, but ignition failures run around 5% or higher. The bulk ammo I've tried even results in failures to fire in the reworked 77/22.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    While I have no direct knowledge (but would welcome same), I would not assume that the very same powder is in the Mini Mag and the Stinger. Might be - might not. Anyone here have the straight scoop from CCI?

The other thing I'll note is that bulk-pack .22 ammo, regardless of brand, will almost always have more duds and lesser accuracy than the 'regular' stuff packed in 50- and 100-round boxes. I don't think I've ever had a dud with Mini-Mags, Winchester 100-packs of any flavor, Blazer or Fed Am Eagle sold in bricks, but I've been consistently disappointed with Winchester and Remington bulk pack stuff (just haven't tried the Fed bulk yet). Forget about reliable feeding in my bull-barreled 10/22s; feeding is better in the stock 10/22s, but ignition failures run around 5% or higher. The bulk ammo I've tried even results in failures to fire in the reworked 77/22.
    Gasmitty, you are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with me your experiences with the bulk stuff. I've been wanting to stockpile some 22s. I do have a box of bulk Federal but I'm not going to stress over it. I'll just be sure to buy the regular stuff in the 50 - 100 round variety. I'm still going to test out my Mini Mags and Stingers but from my responses on here, I suspect I'm going to like the Mini Mags and find that the Stingers will be effective in close distances and accuracy will be contingent upon how well my particular rifle likes or dislikes them.

I never never never buy bulk 22 LR. Cases (bricks) of 50 round boxes only. Never bulk. The price differential is just not worth it to be honest.

Not an expert on Ammo, but have had a lot (20 years or thereabouts with CCI's) of experience with Mini-mags and CCI stingers. I carry a Ruger Mark III .22LR semi-auto pistol for personal defense.

I have conducted some non-scientific experimentation with standard .22, standard hollowpoints, mini-mags, and CCI stingers by testing them on milk jugs filled with water to compare the shock dynamics. Standard .22 left jugs with about a 3 inch hole out the back. hollowpoints.. about 8 inches. Mini-mags left it as a single piece, spread almost flattened out. CCI's left the jug scattered in 8 or 10 pieces. One fellow mentioned inaccuracy over 100 yds, and he may be right. But for my purposes.. self-defense.. most likely one will be dealing with targets closer than 10 to 15 meters.

For simple target practice, I use the cheapest.. standard non-hollowpoint ammo and that's what I would use for squirrel or rabbits if I still hunted them. Larger varmits, coyotes, or dogs, and I would use hollowpoints or mini-mags. But for personal defense, when I am packing, I put CCI's in it. It will do the most internal damage and be least likely to have much bullet intact to exit and hit someone behind the target. When talking self-defense.. no good reason to skimp on the cost. So as one gentleman said.. it depends on your application. I notice some mentioned problems with CCI's in certain semi-auto's, but I have never encountered that in my Mark III, or in my 10/22 for that matter.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Most semi auto guns have a warning about shooting Hyper velocity ammo in their guns. I know I've read them in Marlin 60 and Ruger 10 22 owners manuals. There is enough more pressure to cause the bolt to batter the back of a rifles receiver. Ive seen the damage they do to marlin 60s bolt buffers and hammers. CCI designed the Stinger to help a revolver gain back velosity it looses both at the cylinder gap and the short barrel.

I do use them in revolvers, lever and bolt action rifles. As a varmint round they are great out to 70-75 yds. After that accuracy fades quickly. the 75 yd mark shot from my rifle is where the stinger drops to under the speed of sound or Sub Sonic. That sonic crack that you hear is the point that it crosses from hyper sonic to sub sonic. the miniture sonic boom is hard on accuracy. My marlin 25 at 70yds will easily shoot into 1 1/4" with Stingers. but at 100yds it opens up to 3" or more. So I limit my shooting to under 70yds and enjoy an accurate hard hitting varmint round. DR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links