Carry Ammo for LCP?

Carry Ammo for LCP?

This is a discussion on Carry Ammo for LCP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to figure out what carry ammo i want to run in my Ruger LCP. Today I tried a box of Corbon 90gr ...

Thread: Carry Ammo for LCP?

Carry Ammo for LCP?

I am trying to figure out what carry ammo i want to run in my Ruger LCP. Today I tried a box of Corbon 90gr JHP and the gun hated it. The first round off a full magazine caught on the feed ramp every single time, and then there were various other catches and jams and whatnot through the session.

I was wondering what carry ammo folks have had good luck with specifically through the LCP before i go buying more to try. Just for additional info, I carry Speer Golddot in my 9mm (HK P2000SK).

VIP Member
    I like Corbon Powrball for the LCP. It's a hot little load, so I don't shoot a whole lot of it. I've never had feed problems, but the round ball might resolve yours. I also like it because it is crimped, and doesn't suffer from the setback that my LCP is prone to inflict on cheaper ammo.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I've had some issues with the Speer Gold Dots hanging up on the feed lips as well. I got a box of critical defense, I have not shot them yet but the hollow point is narrower and they seem to feed ok. I won't know for sure until I fire off a box.

I had the feed ramp polished on my LCP and now Gold Dot works just fine!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Ball ammo for .380 in my opinion, whatever feeds/fires reliably.

I gave up on the LCP and went to a Kahr PM9, no regrets.

One of our three LCPs had significant "smiley face" jams, even with FMJ ammo. It went back to Ruger twice (on their dime), and they essentially rebuilt the gun. I asked them to test it with 100 rounds the second time (they usually test with 24 rounds) and they did. I ran that gun through a low light pistol class, and it functioned fine. Ruger's customer service is great!

You may want to try some other ammo, but if you still have issues, do not hesitate to call Ruger. They will fix it up for you.

I run FMJ in my LCPs, for maximum penetration. Winchester White Box 95 gr FMJ has a flat point, and I've not had any issues with it. You can see testing of various loads at www.goldenloki.com. Bear in mind that the FBI calls for 12-15 inches of penetration in gel.

Hope this helps.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Links