Ranger T-series compared to Gold Dots?

This is a discussion on Ranger T-series compared to Gold Dots? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My local FFL has prices as follows: Gold Dot: 9mm 124gr +P, 50 for $24 Ranger-T: 9mm 124gr +p, 50 for $27 I know that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ranger T-series compared to Gold Dots?

My local FFL has prices as follows:

Gold Dot: 9mm 124gr +P, 50 for $24
    Ranger-T: 9mm 124gr +p, 50 for $27

I know that Gold Dot is "Unicore Bonded" and uses a "low flash, clean burning powder," and that the T-series are not bonded. Does the T-series also use low flash powder? How do these rounds stack up? Should I save money and buy Gold Dot. As a side note, both function well in my LC9 and M&P9.

I think the Ranger T (Tactical) series are low flash. Both will do the job intended well. If you have not preference, save a little money with the Gold Dot.

I like the rangers, but that is my preference. The expansion tests I have seen has them performing pretty darn well. IIRC a bit better than Gold Dots, but not quite as well as HSTs. Nothing wrong with Gold Dots....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I don't split hairs or lose any sleep over it. Years ago I used to be a caliber/ballistics freak, studying every load in depth and research them to death. All I got was a headache.

Both the bullets you mention perform essentially the same, which is extremely well. I think the "low flash" powders are more marketing hype, than have any real advantage over another. For me, it's not a deal breaker either way.

My problem is where I live, finding one brand over the other at any given time in my local gun shops is a crap shoot. I may be able to get Gold Dots two or three purchases in a row, and then not find any in stock the next 5 times I'm looking to buy.

The other option is to buy online and pay a lot of shipping because of the weight, or waste a lot of gas driving from gun shop to gun shop to try and find a specific brand. So, I just stick with the major name brands with good reputations for working, and get whatever is available at the time. Speer Gold Dots, Hornady TAP, Ranger-T, Federal HST's are the ones I try to stick with.
    joker1 and RemMod597 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

sgb
    Both are acceptable and the lowest $$$ of the two would be what I was purchasing.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Both perfrom well.

Whichever one shot reliably and accurately out of my pistol is the one I'd be purchasing.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

both are good. go with the lower price to save $$.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Both will do wonders when applied to the affected areas liberally,BTW,the Ranger T's are the Black Talons,without the "Black" coating.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Flip a coin, heads Gold Dots, Tails Ranger Ts. If you have tested both in the guns you intend to carry them in and they function well, flipping a coin is about as scientific as you need to get. Both rounds have been proven for years by Law Enforcement and passed with flying colors. The only thing that would sway me towards the Gold Dots is if I had to shoot through a barrier such as glass or something. Since I don't see much call for that in civilian concealed carry both will work great. I carry 180gr Gold Dots in my 40cals, and 147gr Ranger Ts in my 9mms.

As everyone mentioned. They will both have the same end result. Save the $ and get the GD's. That is what I use in all my 9mm's.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I can't help you decide either...I carry Ranger T's in my 9mm and Gold Dots in my .38 snubby.
    Both are outstanding, IMO...I'd hate to have to live on the difference.
    and a box of 50 for what most others charge for a box of 20 or 25 SD rounds.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Both have shown to be Very Good SD rounds. What ever you shoot best is the round I would go with!

Footnotes:

The LE Dept. I'm consulting for uses the Ranger T series and the County ME states he can tell when he is examining that it was Range T by the star shape of the bullet. The only Ranger round that doesn't use "Low Flash" powder is the 357 sig.

I personally would go with the Ranger T as I've seen the performance in critical situations and the three dollars difference is that much. Note I do carry Gold Dot +P in my PPS when it is not in Walther's (S & W) repair shop.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I'm shooting a .40, so I don't know if this really helps, but... I absolutely freaking love the Rangers in 180 grain. They fired much more smoothly with less recoil and easier followup shots than the Gold Dot's that I tried out. It may not matter as much in the 9mm, though.

You have no bad options. Go for the least expensive.

I use Gold Dots. Partly because I can never find the Ranger T's or HST's, partly because they have a proven history in real life shootings and not just "Jello Killings".

However, I did stumble upon this video in which a 127gr +P+ Ranger T fails to expand, and I have concluded, NO pistol bullet is 100%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links