Just bought some Remington Golden Saber 124 grain JHP and question

This is a discussion on Just bought some Remington Golden Saber 124 grain JHP and question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought four boxes of 25 rounds each, in three of the boxes the bullet jacket looks the same, the jacket is bright and new ...

Thread: Just bought some Remington Golden Saber 124 grain JHP and question

I bought four boxes of 25 rounds each, in three of the boxes the bullet jacket looks the same, the jacket is bright and new looking. In the last box, the jacket looks alot darker and duller. Is this normal? Will it change the performance of the bullet and has anyone seen differences in boxes of bullets like this before?

Nope. It's probably just been sitting on the shelf a little longer. No need to worry... as long as the ammo stays dry and hasn't been exposed to huge temperature extremes, it'll keep a very long time.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    The jackets on the bullets are brass, and brass tarnishes with time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

OK, thanks, I guess it makes sense that the one box is older than the rest. So it is just exposure to air over time? They didn't get wet I hope. I'll try to post a picture so you can see the difference. I'm going to shoot that box anyway and keep the others for carry in the Ruger 9mm.

I wouldn't worry if they got wet. Remington seals the case neck with something that looks like tar ant puts laquer on the primers. I've fired ammo thats gone through the washer and dryer.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mbell1968 View Post
    I bought four boxes of 25 rounds each, in three of the boxes the bullet jacket looks the same, the jacket is bright and new looking. In the last box, the jacket looks alot darker and duller. Is this normal? Will it change the performance of the bullet and has anyone seen differences in boxes of bullets like this before?
    Mine have the same tarnish. The manufacturer told me that happens when people handle the bullets and don't wipe them off. It's just a little tarnish. Now worries mate. :-)
    One more step and it's on!

VIP Member
    Good to go; you'd know from the appearance of the box if they got wet.

Happens to my carry ammo all the time. Once they sit around in the mag a month or four I fire them off and load up fresh ones.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Happens to my carry ammo all the time. Once they sit around in the mag a month or four I fire them off and load up fresh ones.

I haven't rotated my ammo since I loaded my mags.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    The only reason to do that is just to occasionally shoot the carry ammo. There's no other real reason to rotate ammo; ammo does not deteriorate or "go bad". I have ammo that I loaded in the 70's and 80's that shoots just the same as the stuff I loaded this summer.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

You probably won't have any trouble feeding it to a Ruger.
    My Belgian Browning Hi-Power, now, is a fussy girl ... she won't feed Golden Saber 124's at all.
    OAL is too long.
    The Browning is the only one that ever, ever gave me that problem with that otherwise excellent ammo.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I fire them off just to keep a feel for my carry ammo. That and it's fun to shoot milk hugs full of water with hollow points.

Sponsored Links