Help me pick my SD ammo

Help me pick my SD ammo

This is a discussion on Help me pick my SD ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, So i'm gonna buy some ammo for a few of my guns since I recently got my CHL. For the 9mm with a 3" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my SD ammo

Help me pick my SD ammo

Ok, So i'm gonna buy some ammo for a few of my guns since I recently got my CHL. For the 9mm with a 3" barrel, I'm thinking Speer GD in either 147gr or 124 +p. In my 40 S&W with a 3.5" barrel i'm going with either 180 or 165 gr. Federal HST and for my 1911 with 3" barrel Speer GD in 180 or 165 gr. If i'm reading barrel length and ballistic result correctly, which I'm probably not since math is my worst subject, LOL, I'm thinking for the shorter barrels the lighter weight bullet is better for expansion. Thanks for any input.

Read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Pick one of the loads in each caliber. Bear in mind that they are not listed in any particular order, that they are all pretty much the same as far as effectiveness, and that some may be harder to find and/or more expensive than others.

Buy a box or two. Load all of the magazines you plan on using for carry/SD to full capacity. See if your pistol shoots these rounds with 100% reliability, and with what you consider acceptible accuracy and control.

That way, you'll have a round that works in YOUR pistols, not what some anonymous interwebz yayhoo tells you you should carry.

If you think a lighter round is better, go for it. If you think a heavier round is better, go for it. Personally, I'd go for the one that shoots better.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

Pick one of the loads in each caliber. Bear in mind that they are not listed in any particular order, that they are all pretty much the same as far as effectiveness, and that some may be harder to find and/or more expensive than others.

Buy a box or two. Load all of the magazines you plan on using for carry/SD to full capacity. See if your pistol shoots these rounds with 100% reliability, and with what you consider acceptible accuracy and control.

That way, you'll have a round that works in YOUR pistols, not what some anonymous interwebz yayhoo tells you you should carry.

If you think a lighter round is better, go for it. If you think a heavier round is better, go for it. Personally, I'd go for the one that shoots better.
    Excellent advise. Many of my pistols favor different ammo than others.

I like the GD's personally - and they shoot well in my pistols. The 124+p's work well for me in the 9's. the 165's in my .40
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Winchester Ranger bonded for everything I carry. Gold Dots are very sensitive to velocity (barrel length) in regards to penetration and expansion. HSTs are a great choice... Consistent and reliable expansion, even through most barriers. For your 3.5" barrel, I'd stick with a 180 grain round.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Go with Remington Golden Saber or at least try them. If you have concerns about bullet/jacket separation, get the bonded version. They are a fine round, reliable and proven to work well. Don't buy the testing on you-tube.

Go with what you can buy and shoot and function in your gun. Me, I have been lucky to have access to buy and shoot Cor-Bon DPX in 9MM, .40S&W and .45ACP. These work well for me and they function the guns with no issues and hit at point of aim on the target at 21 feet.
    All said and done, your mileage will vary......YMMV!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

This.

(FWIW, I carry Federal HST 180gr in my G23, and when I carried a 9mm, I carried HST 147gr +P).
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

147gr in the 9mm/180gr in the .40.....heavier bullets give you better penetration. Period.

you can buy both at Wally World in the Winchester White box. They are very decent loads.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

You can look at all the pictures and tests you want online, and read ballistics tables, and advertising....

But shoot whatever you choose, plus your next two choices, and see if its all accurate and reliable. Talking about what works on the internet, or in somebody else's different gun isn't going to prove anything in your gun.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

No shortcuts, buy and try...you'll find your own answers!
    So much ammo...so little time!
    Get a box of the main brands mentioned so far; it won't be hard to narrow it down.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just found the WWB 147 JHPs at Wally World and bought all 4 boxes available ($19.99/box of 50). I'll try them out shortly with both my XD9sc and MK9Elite. I presently have both loaded with Ranger 147+Ps. Agreed with all. Carry what shoots well and reliably.

VIP Member
    Gold Dots, HST or my favorite, Corbon DPX!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think the bullet you can reliably put on target would be your best choice. Whether that is Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ or the standard pressure 115gr Hornady CD. Where you put it is more important than what you put there.

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like there will be a lot of range time in the near future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links