Hornady XTP

Hornady XTP

This is a discussion on Hornady XTP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How does this ammo square up for self defense, I've been thinking of getting some (158 grain) for testing out of a short barrel 38 ...

Thread: Hornady XTP

Hornady XTP

How does this ammo square up for self defense, I've been thinking of getting some (158 grain) for testing out of a short barrel 38 Special.
    Their Critical Defense opened up every time, but 110 grains is just too light for me.

Limited expansion, great penetration.

I've used it (under the Fiocchi Xtrema label) in a couple of my wheelguns. Been happy with it.

A buddy of mine swears by it for handgun hunting deer in .357mag, .44 mag, and .45 acp.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Is there any major difference between the Fiocchi stuff?

The bullet is the same, just loaded by Fiocchi. I would expect that firing a 158gr XTP from a snub would yield minimal expansion if any. I would not be surprised to see a bullet undeformed except for rifling marks. The XTP is designed with a shallow hollowpoint and a thick jacket at the nose. The only thing in common with the Critical Defense is the manufacturer.

I prefer expansion in my defensive ammo, your ideas or needs may be different, that's why there's more than one ammo company.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

You have to be careful about picking ammunition for the snubs. For the full-sized handguns, and some of the ammo lines you can substitute the "hunting" version of the round without any issues.

Like I can do with my S&W 327 TRR8. The performance of Hornadys CD ammo vs their Leverevolution line with my handgun is minimal. Now, both of those rounds use a faster burning powder that was designed to shoot out of revolvers. Hornady just increased the bullet weight to go from the CD line to the Leverevolution line. All of the tests that I've seen done with revolvers and both of those product lines led me to buy the Leverolution line because I don't have to special order the ammunition. The performance from a 4" barreled or longer revolver and both lines has no difference in expansion. The difference is in how fast the bullet hits the target is there, but the penetration is almost the same at all distances up to 50 yards (which is where almost all comparisons stopped).

The way the physics of ammunition ballistics, most importantly dealing with expansion, takes everything into account. The biggest issue with snub nosed revolvers comes from energy lost due to the shorter barrels. Because so much energy is lost with a barrel under the manufacturers minimum test length, snubbies need lighter loads to get the maximum effect out of the ammunition.

The way that modern ammo is designed now, and how well it performs, I would not suggest going with the heavier loads. I personally think you would be making a decision that would be less than optimal in a self defense situation.

If you really want a heavier round, then look at another manufacturers product designed for handguns with more weigh to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    How does this ammo square up for self defense, I've been thinking of getting some (158 grain) for testing out of a short barrel 38 Special.
    Their Critical Defense opened up every time, but 110 grains is just too light for me.

Same here... I like the heavy stuff for penetration depth to the vitals and or bone crushing. I like the CD round too and agree, every example I've seen opened up just as advertised. Couldn't get it to run reliably outa my SigP238, but outa my revolvers that portion of the reliability issue is all moot.

Good stuff IMO, but for .38 special and up, 124gr is as light as I'm gonna go, and even then I would opt for the heavier grain bullet.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I use Gold dot short barrel 135 gr. for snubs.

Here is a more comprehensive read: New Page 2

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

While I don't have any experience with 158XTP in 38sp, I have tested 124XTPs in Fiocchi and Black Hills +P loadings in "clothed"wetpack and chronographed them as well. At almost 1250fps out of 4" barrel, the Black Hills load impressed me with penetration and expansion. At less than 1000fps, the Fiocchi load out of 3.1" barrel barely expanded. Based on that, I wouldn't expect much expansion out of 38sp snub?

Links