Glock and reloading ammo - Page 2

Glock and reloading ammo

This is a discussion on Glock and reloading ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ring i have loaded thousands of 40 JHP and lead that i have shot out of my glock and HK... with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Glock and reloading ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    i have loaded thousands of 40 JHP and lead that i have shot out of my glock and HK... with the factory barrels... shooting lead is not a issue...

shooting lead and not cleaning your gun is a issue... its not hard
    What are you using for a load with the .40 lead?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    WSF,, 180grbullets , dont remember the GR. load, but i get 1100 fps i believe... so its close to a max load... with lead if you drop it to 900fps you should stop the leading...

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    i have loaded thousands of 40 JHP and lead that i have shot out of my glock and HK... with the factory barrels... shooting lead is not a issue...

shooting lead and not cleaning your gun is a issue... its not hard
    X2. I have shot lead out of my G35 with a factory barrel for years. I shoot thousands of rounds a year with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I shoot a 175 grain hard cast bullet over 4.3 grains of TiteGroup. Gives me a 169 PF from the G35.

I've shot lead out of a G17 for a couple years before I sold it,never had an issue,I reload for most popular pistol calibers and have never had a kaboom
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I reload for my Glock 30 and initially used a Storm Lake barrel for those loads. After having battery issues, I now use the OEM barrel and have had no problems--and I reload lead 95% of the time. Not a hint of lead buildup nor the infamous Glock bulges. The .40 caliber is the one that has the issues.
    I too have been using lead in my Glocks for for over 20 years without difficulty but I can't not recommend it unless you know the risks and keep your barrel exceptionally clean.
    I recently got a KKM 9mm barrel for my G17 and not only do I get a little less leading, group sized cut in half. Reliability with all bullet shapes remained at 100%. KKM is more money but now it is the only one I would get for future Glocks.

I shot 200 Gr SWC's in my G-21 in the 1990's before aftermarket barrels became common, more than 25,000 rounds. Never had an issue and never had a leading issue. They ran at 180PF for IPSC. I reload FMJ for my 9MM Glocks and 40 Cal G-35. The G-35 has an aftermarket barrel in it, but never had an issue with the first 10,000 rounds in the factory barrel, but it was with FMJ 200 GR Round nose. Paying close attention and doing good Quality Control will let you reload for almost any gun out there. Some are just more picky than others.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Many if not most competition shooters who shoot Glocks shoot reloads in them. Although Glock says its warranty is voided by shooting reloads, this is a common industry practice and many gun manufacturers also have this same provision in their user manuals.

Lead bullets are a different issue, especially those of soft lead. In Glocks, they can lead to excessive fouling and dangerously high pressure levels.

Most folks who want to shoot lead bullets from a Glock get a third-party barrel with standard rifling. However, shooting reloads with other than lead bullets in a stock Glock is no different than shooting reloads in any other pistol. What's important is that the reloads are carefully made and conform to accepted ammunition standards.
    This is good advice. Let me add that I have shot many thousands of lead through my G17 and G21. If you use lead be very careful to clean the barrel often. If you go to a third party barrel, let me but in a strong recommendation for KKM. You pay a little more than a Lone Wolf but I think it is worth it. Do some searches regarding customer satisfaction, LW vs. KKM.

I've reloaded for all of my glocks for I'll say the better part of 15yrs now and I've only had one SINGLE feed issue in my wife's G26 and this was just because
    I missed a imperfection in the finished round when it came out of the press. We have both put thousands of reloads thru the glocks we take to the range without issues ( G17,20,26,27). I never used lead bullets though, I always loaded either FMJ or the cheaper " copper plated" bullets for no real reason then they just seem cleaner all around from the press to the range
    G

Check out hickok45 on youtube. That guy shoots a LOT and he reloads for his glocks with factory barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

New to reloading

Hi I own a Glock 22 I have been saving up my brass from when I go shooting to reload Glock brass do I need some sort of trimming tool to deal with the billowing at the bottem end of the brass or would just having the Dillion reloading dies work?

I have a G-RX Sizing Die from Redding that does the full length case reforming after a 40S&W is shot out of a not fully supported barrel (read that as Glock and some others). This gets the case to original factory and SAMMI spec to reload. All my 40 cases go thru the die. You use it on a single stage press put it in the bottom and press it thru to the top and remove it, repeat for each case. The Dillon machine will not get rid of the bulge, I know because I have two of them.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have a G-RX Sizing Die from Redding that does the full length case reforming after a 40S&W is shot out of a not fully supported barrel (read that as Glock and some others). This gets the case to original factory and SAMMI spec to reload. All my 40 cases go thru the die. You use it on a single stage press put it in the bottom and press it thru to the top and remove it, repeat for each case. The Dillon machine will not get rid of the bulge, I know because I have two of them.
    So your saying buy a single stage with that Redding die. Put all my ammo through that then put it through the Dillon press is their any kind of die set provided by Dillon that can handle the same job?o

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links