Glock and reloading ammo

This is a discussion on Glock and reloading ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive pretty much decided to start reloading my own 9mm ammo to start with. I know its a big bad NO NO to fire reloads ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Glock and reloading ammo

Distinguished Member

Glock and reloading ammo

Ive pretty much decided to start reloading my own 9mm ammo to start with. I know its a big bad NO NO to fire reloads from a Glock especially lead bullets. After doing some research I think if I was to get a different barrel such as one from Lonewolf that would take care of the problem? I'm just asking for a check on learning.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Ive pretty much decided to start reloading my own 9mm ammo to start with. I know its a big bad NO NO to fire reloads from a Glock especially lead bullets. After doing some research I think if I was to get a different barrel such as one from Lonewolf that would take care of the problem? I'm just asking for a check on learning.
    swapping out the barrel would eliminate the issue of using reloads or lead

Many if not most competition shooters who shoot Glocks shoot reloads in them. Although Glock says its warranty is voided by shooting reloads, this is a common industry practice and many gun manufacturers also have this same provision in their user manuals.

Lead bullets are a different issue, especially those of soft lead. In Glocks, they can lead to excessive fouling and dangerously high pressure levels.

Most folks who want to shoot lead bullets from a Glock get a third-party barrel with standard rifling. However, shooting reloads with other than lead bullets in a stock Glock is no different than shooting reloads in any other pistol. What's important is that the reloads are carefully made and conform to accepted ammunition standards.
    jem102 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I reload for my Glock 30 and initially used a Storm Lake barrel for those loads. After having battery issues, I now use the OEM barrel and have had no problems--and I reload lead 95% of the time. Not a hint of lead buildup nor the infamous Glock bulges. The .40 caliber is the one that has the issues.
    jem102 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I reload for the 40 cal gloak but use fmj only. I have had no issues yet, but if I do, I'll send you pics of my hand.
    aus71383 and AS90 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Glock 40 and 10mm have less of a safety margin in their construction than do the 9mm and 45 auto chamberings. It has to do with the amount of steel surrounding the cartridge and the pressure of the round. Wheelweight lead that has been hardened by the addition of 50/50 solder will aid in keeping a 9mm OEM barrel clean. A lower pressure 45 auto can handle softer alloy. In a conventionally rifled replacement barrel, lead bullets are far less wearing than jacketed bullets. Lead bullets can be driven faster with lower pressures. Any type of barrel will need to be kept clean.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member
    I was thinking of reloading .40 cal as well for Glock as it is my primary HD and CC caliber. If I am correct as to what "gunthrop" said above the problem with .40 cal and Glocks is that they don't have a fully supported chamber and more prone to "KABOOMs" from a weak case. Wouldn't in that case a after market barrel with a fully supported chamber such as Lonewolf or KKM help fix that problem?
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I was thinking of reloading .40 cal as well for Glock as it is my primary HD and CC caliber. If I am correct as to what "gunthrop" said above the problem with .40 cal and Glocks is that they don't have a fully supported chamber and more prone to "KABOOMs" from a weak case. Wouldn't in that case a after market barrel with a fully supported chamber such as Lonewolf or KKM help fix that problem?
    I don't carry or shoot Glocks, but it's my understanding that the case head support problem was eliminated with the 2nd generation pistols and .40 barrels now have the same case head support as all other Glock barrels.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Deleted - I misinterpreted a previous post.

Distinguished Member
    Think I'm going to stick with reloading 9mm to start off with until I get the process down. It doesn't seem too difficult as long as I triple check my work, and pay attention to detail.

NRA Member

I personally don't reload any 40. caliber out of a Glock,because of the unsupported case,and the spike in 40 caliber ammo,but I do in my 9&.45 with KKM barrels,you can use Glock barrels if you use jacketed ammo,Midway usually has a good buy on 124 grain JHP bullets.

i reload 9mm, 40 s&w, and 45 acp for the glock. i use a aftermarket barrel when i shoot reloads in all three cals.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Administrator
    Also check out EFK Firedragon barrels.
    Glock

Distinguished Member
    May I ask what brand barrels you use?

NRA Member

i have loaded thousands of 40 JHP and lead that i have shot out of my glock and HK... with the factory barrels... shooting lead is not a issue...

shooting lead and not cleaning your gun is a issue... its not hard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links