Did my first .380 penetration test

This is a discussion on Did my first .380 penetration test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by defensive007 i guess everyone has their opinions I simply shared my experience with this ammo and am sure any BG wouldnt want ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Did my first .380 penetration test

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    i guess everyone has their opinions I simply shared my experience with this ammo and am sure any BG wouldnt want 6 or 12 of these through their body no matter what anyone says....CONCEAl-ABIITY is the key on why the .380 is such a popular round? pocket carry #1
    No offense, but I really get tired of hearing people use the, "Well if .380 is so bad, why don't you step in front of it?"

That argument is illogical in so many ways it makes my head spin.

1. I don't want to get shot with ANYTHING! I don't even like needles!

2. If I HAD to be shot, I'd prefer that the BG was carrying .22 or .25 or .32 or .380, etc., rather than 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP, and I'm sure most of us would agree. (Hell, Kathy Lee Gifford took a 9mm FMJ to the head, and she survived due to modern medicine).

3. I could give example after example of a BG staying in the fight after being shot multiple times... Off the top of my head I can think of an officer putting 22 rounds of .40 into a BG before he finally dropped, and 17 of the 22 were center mass hits. I remember hearing about an officer who took two rounds of .25 in the face at contact range and then that same officer put 9 rounds of .40 into the BG. There was a well publicized story about an officer shooting a man over 10? times with .45 Corbon DPX, and the BG didn't fall till he bled out.

The moral of the story is that handguns suck, so you should choose a "proper" caliber, like 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP. Sure, it's nice to carry a pocket gun at times, but .38 SPL generally outperforms .380 by a long shot.

4. This is a good thread to review on BUGs. BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums
    zonker1986 and 357and40 like this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    No offense, but I really get tired of hearing people use the, "Well if .380 is so bad, why don't you step in front of it?"
    this forum has a deadly love affair with underpowered mouse guns. I just pray it does not get a few members killed if they ever have to rely on their carry mouse weapon in a lethal encounter.

Laziness and convenience seem to win out over ballistic common sense.
    357and40 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I get so frustrated with people testifying that their sub-caliber is so amazing. Read the FBI data. Can you, at that point, still wonder why the most respected source globally on ballistics does not endorse 380?

Regarding defensive007's quote of "CONCEAl-ABIITY is the key on why the .380 is such a popular round? pocket carry #1," S&W 360 357 magnum j-frame gets pocket carried by me daily... You can carry a service caliber too...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I get so frustrated with people testifying that their sub-caliber is so amazing. Read the FBI data. Can you, at that point, still wonder why the most respected source globally on ballistics does not endorse 380?
    because some no-name cop from Ohio did a study that said it doesn't matter what caliber you carry.....amazing how that no-name, undocumented study, has become the "Ammo Bible" of this forum. "Forget what the FBI says.....my LCP is just so convenient."
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I get so tired of others criticizing the choice of what someone decides to carry. Carry what you think best. I'd rather anyone carry a .22LR they're confident with over a .44 Mag they can't handle. Any caliber kills, all calibers fail.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

agree 110%
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links