Winchester PDX1 9mm 124gr +P vs Winchester Ranger Bonded 124gr +P (RA9BA)

This is a discussion on Winchester PDX1 9mm 124gr +P vs Winchester Ranger Bonded 124gr +P (RA9BA) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For all I can tell, these are essentially the same round. Does anyone know if/how they are different?...

Thread: Winchester PDX1 9mm 124gr +P vs Winchester Ranger Bonded 124gr +P (RA9BA)

Winchester PDX1 9mm 124gr +P vs Winchester Ranger Bonded 124gr +P (RA9BA)

For all I can tell, these are essentially the same round. Does anyone know if/how they are different?

2. Remove Ads

The do appear to be similar, but the PDX-1 comes in a 20 round box for about $20. The Ranger comes in a 50 round box and Ammunition To Go sells it for about $25/box - personally, I'd buy the Ranger.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

my very unscientific eyes say the rounds appear to look exactly alike

Kinda looks like the PDX-1 is a blend of the Ranger Bonded and Ranger T-Series.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I don't know if this helps but attached are the Winchester Website data sheets. IMHO I still perfer a T-series round.
    Attached Files

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Ona-

Thanks man. And no question, the T-series is an outstanding round! I just like to mix bonded and non-bonded in my mags, in case I have to shoot through my car window to stop a carjacker, or through my bedroom door to stop someone breaking in. I feel like having non-bonded provides excellent damage potential on an unshielded target (door, wall, window, etc) and bonded for going through those things.

PDX1 and Ranger Bonded are the same except that the Ranger Bonded are not nickel plated and the PDX1 does not have sealed primers. When you buy the Ranger Bonded you may be getting an older design of the Ranger Bonded round as it has been through several changes. NEVER SHOOT THROUGH A BEDROOM DOOR WITHOUT IDENTIFYING THE THREAT........IT'S CALLED PRISON TIME FOR YOU!!!!!
    Gen 4 G26, Gen 4 G23, 442-1

38 -

Where are you getting this info?

Check out these two photos. You can see that the .40 S&W 180gr PDX1 (Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 40 S&W Winchester Supreme Elite 180gr Bonded PDX Ammo [S40SWPDB1] - $20.95) and the 180gr Q4369 (50 rds - 40 cal 180 grain Bonded Hollow point Winchester Q4369 ammo | SGAmmo.com) look EXACTLY the same.

From left to right: (All bullets are 180 grain .40 S&W) Winchester JHP from Walmart, Win PDX1 and Win Q4369 Bonded

pdx_rangerbonded_1.jpg
    pdx_rangedbonded_2.jpg

Here is what has always made sense to me, but know that this is just my speculation:

The PDX1 was designed specifically for the FBI. The FBI issues Glock 22s/23s loaded with 180gr ammunition. Why would the FBI need PDX1 in any other caliber and weight? Therefore, it makes sense TO ME that the PDX1 in 180gr IS a totally new bullet, but that the PDX1 in every other weight and caliber is just a Ranger Bonded bullet in a commercial "civvie" 20rd box. (Like I said, this is just MY speculation).

Here is what it says on Winchester's website:

:The new Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1, which was chosen by the FBI as their primary service round, is now available in a full line of popular handgun calibers. The Bonded PDX1 is engineered to maximize terminal ballistics, as defined by the demanding FBI test protocol, which simulates real-world threats. The new Winchester Bonded PDX is offered in 9mm, 40 Smith & Wesson, 45 automatic and .38 special."

It's much more likely that the FBI told them to develop this round rather than Winchester developing this round randomly when they already have a Bonded line of premium LE ammunition.

Here is some denim/jug testing of the 9mm PDX1:

9mm PDX1 124gr +P: Winchester PDX1 Bonded 9mm +P 124 gr JHP test with Denim - YouTube

(I couldn't find anything to compare it to, as the other videos by this guy with 9mm Ranger Bonded bullets were 2nd Gen, not 3rd Gen).

Here is the .40 comparison:

180gr PDX1: Winchester .40 S&W 180 gr PDX1 Supreme Elite Bonded JHP - YouTube

180gr Ranger Bonded: 40 S&W - Winchester Ranger Bonded - 180 Gr. JHP Ammo test - YouTube

Hope this helps in some way even though much of it is aimed at the .40 S&W caliber.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Links