7.62x39 Stockpile

7.62x39 Stockpile

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 Stockpile within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to hoard a few thousand rounds of AK ammo. This will be in 7.62x39. Thought of switching to 5.45, but don't want ...

7.62x39 Stockpile

I am looking to hoard a few thousand rounds of AK ammo. This will be in 7.62x39. Thought of switching to 5.45, but don't want to have to buy 2 new rifles just to save a couple dollars. Figure I will aim for about 5000 rounds. I am not sure if one type would be better for storage over another. I noticed that there is polymer and lacquer coatings. Would on be desirable over the other?

My first thought is to go with whatever is cheapest, but perhaps one brand is better than another.

Really looking to find out:
    Polymer or Lacquer?
    Surplus Corrosive or Non Corrosive?
    And Particular Brand or Just buy the best deal?

Any insight is appreciated.

VIP Member
    If you are concerned about shelf life I don't think it really matters.

As to the primers, I prefer the non corrosive. I buy Wolf or Brown/Silver Bear and have never had any problems.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Moderator
    The laquered stuff can be problematic if you shoot enough to get the gun hot...which on an AK dosent take long. If a laquered round sits in a hot chamber, it can and will stick as the laquer gets soft. Once it does that, it can be a nightmare to clean out.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Think I will just go with the cheapest non corrosive.

Will have to be leery of lacquer

I have about 2,500 stored up.Mine are the non corosive type,but I have varried the type of shell.Some are soft point,some are FMJ and some are hollow point.That way I can varry the type depending on the use.I also reload and have plenty of components for future use.sj

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Lacquer is not a big problem if you clean regularly. I spray mine with non-chlorine brake cleaner, a little brushing if necessary and everything comes out, and I mean everything.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Lacquer is not a big problem if you clean regularly. I spray mine with non-chlorine brake cleaner, a little brushing if necessary and everything comes out, and I mean everything.
    The problem is exacerbated by the fact that steel cases do not expand and fill the chamber like brass does. This lack of expansion allows the powder debris to flow back into the chamber, making it dirtier than with brass cases. Get enough of it, and the cases stick in the chamber. More frequent cleaning than with brass cases is the easiest solution. Often, just a few passes with a chamber-sized brush and a couple of patches will solve the problem if it happens in the middle of a shoot.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The laquered stuff can be problematic if you shoot enough to get the gun hot...which on an AK dosent take long. If a laquered round sits in a hot chamber, it can and will stick as the laquer gets soft. Once it does that, it can be a nightmare to clean out.
    Listen to the man, and heed his advice. Believe me, it's much less work to listen to his sound advice than to learn it the way I did ... the hard way!
    And he's right about it being a nightmare to clean out!

"Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Links