Avoid "Ranger Bonded 9mm 124gr +P (RA9BA)" from www.sgammo.com

This is a discussion on Avoid "Ranger Bonded 9mm 124gr +P (RA9BA)" from www.sgammo.com within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 38 The PDX1's are more expensive but they are current design. You are taking your chances of getting old designs when you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoid "Ranger Bonded 9mm 124gr +P (RA9BA)" from www.sgammo.com

Quote Originally Posted by 38 View Post
    The PDX1's are more expensive but they are current design. You are taking your chances of getting old designs when you buy the Ranger Bonded stuff. There have been too many design changes to where you don't know what you'll get.
    PDX are good, but so are the rangers, only difference I believe is one is bonded and that would be the ranger if I am not mistaken. Both open up and look like a mean vicious flying 6 bladed knife. I carry the PDX in my 1911, and the LE ranger in my Sig 220 at work! I have no doubt that it will take someone down in 1 well placed shot!
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem View Post
    PDX are good, but so are the rangers, only difference I believe is one is bonded and that would be the ranger if I am not mistaken. Both open up and look like a mean vicious flying 6 bladed knife. I carry the PDX in my 1911, and the LE ranger in my Sig 220 at work! I have no doubt that it will take someone down in 1 well placed shot!
    PDX-1 is bonded, too.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by 38 View Post
    The PDX1's are more expensive but they are current design. You are taking your chances of getting old designs when you buy the Ranger Bonded stuff. There have been too many design changes to where you don't know what you'll get.
    If you're going to spend that kind of money on the PDX1, I see no reason to buy anything other than a load with the Barnes TAC-XP bullet like the Corbon DPX or Black Hills offerings, as the PDX1 hasn't proven to be all that reliable in its 9mm form, but it is VERY reliable in its 180gr .40 S&W form.

Here is one example of the PDX1 124gr +P failing on a simple denim/newspaper jug test by getting plugged with denim:

Winchester PDX1 Bonded 9mm +P 124 gr JHP test with Denim - YouTube

Yes, it's just ONE failure, but if that isn't considered a catastrophic failure for a so-called "modern" hollow point, I don't know what it is.

Here's the Corbon DPX 115gr +P load in the exact same testing by the same person in the same gun:

CorBon DPX 9mm +P 115 gr with Denim - YouTube

Take it as you will.

P.S. Out of curiosity, is there any reason you (or anyone) require a bonded bullet? I understand the need for LE officers in the 9mm setting, but the premium .40 S&W and .45 ACP JHPs do just as well or better than their bonded counterparts.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I'm not surprised that Sam was willing to work with you. I've had real good luck with their ammo & no problems to date, & their service is always so fast & they respond quickly to e-mail queries.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links