Law enforcement use of HST-40Caliber 155gr.

This is a discussion on Law enforcement use of HST-40Caliber 155gr. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My questions are --Do Law Enforcement use HST 40 caliber 155gr.? How successful is this round of ammo in stopping a criminal? Thank-You for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Law enforcement use of HST-40Caliber 155gr.

Law enforcement use of HST-40Caliber 155gr.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My questions are --Do Law Enforcement use HST 40 caliber 155gr.?

How successful is this round of ammo in stopping
    a criminal?

Thank-You for any information you have on this ammo's
    street performance!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    It is a name brand quality self defense ammo. It has just as good of a chance as any other quality self defense round if placed properly.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How successful is this round of ammo in stopping
    a criminal?

Thank-You for any information you have on this ammo's
    street performance!

Some other forums have people like Mas Ayoob as members and he said in a thread I read that there wasn't much (if any) data of actual shootings with the Federal rounds. But it seems everyone who has used it, tested it, etc has been pleased with the result. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it is really the best you will get IMO. Just know that stuff like the Gold Dot in 180 or 165 IS tried and true on the street and much easier to find. I am not a Gold Dot rep or anything, but there is a LOT of data on that bullet. Best performer I have seen and read about is the CorBon DPX, but wow, it is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post

While I can't tell you the answer with 100% certainty, I can tell you that it is highly unlikely that many LEAs use 155gr .40 S&W from any manufacturer unless performance through intermediate barriers is not considered important.

Why?

The reason .40 S&W has become as popular as it has in LE is because of the performance of the 180gr bullet through intermediate barriers. Sure, the .45 ACP also does well through barriers, but the capacity of most handguns chambered in .45 ACP is less than ideal in a LE setting. The .40 S&W excels because it allows for similar capacity to 9mm handguns, but like I mentioned before, it is more consistent through intermediate barriers.

I have heard on the internet that the Border Patrol uses the 155gr Win Ranger, but I did hear that on the internet...

I do know with 100% certainty that the Phoenix PD and nearly all the surrounding suburbs use 180gr .40 S&W ammunition, but I can't remember off the top of my head which brand it is.

I hope this helps you in some way.

P.S. I'd suggest reviewing this thread over at M4Carbine.net: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Considering that the average armed citizen has such a small chance of having to shoot through windshields, car doors, walls and so forth, the difference between 155 grain and 180 grain on .40 S&W is a non issue, IMHO.

The last I checked, the Connecticut SP uses 155 gr. HST.

That is my primary round.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Considering that the average armed citizen has such a small chance of having to shoot through windshields, car doors, walls and so forth, the difference between 155 grain and 180 grain on .40 S&W is a non issue, IMHO.

The last I checked, the Connecticut SP uses 155 gr. HST.

That is my primary round.
    I forgot to mention that the 180 gr HST penetrates consistently to 12" according to in house testing done by ATK with while the 155 gr HST penetrates to 10.5" consistently. [ Source: http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf ] Any round that doesn't penetrate consistently from 12" to 18" is a no go for me. (12" to 18" is the FBI standard).

The 155 gr load is also nowhere to be found on Dr. Robert's list of rounds vetted to FBI standards. [ Source: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887 ]

I would probably be comfortable with the 165gr load, but after having tested over 200 rounds of the 165 gr HST, I've found I don't like the recoil characteristics.

P.S. I'm not saying that your choice is the wrong choice, I'm simply stating why I believe the 180 gr load is superior to the 155gr load. To each his own.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Last I heard, a hell of a lot of citizens were still getting carjacked. Just a month or so ago a victim shot and killed during a carjacking.

I'm not sure the last time I heard of a LEO being carjacked.
    Aceoky likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

As a LEO I would say that the HST, in any weight really, should perform more than adequately. Every LEO performance test I've seen has the HST up there at the top or a close second to Speer Gold Dot and a few others. I believed in it so much that I replaced my department's Hydra-Shok supply with it, and had the department qualify with the issued Hydra-Shok before I replaced it with HST. It's what I carry every day off-duty (new dept. uses Gold dot, so I'm not complaining about that).

The LE stuff is Bonded which means the bullet has a better chance of saying together after penetrating auto glass.

The trade of is that the bullet may not fully expand once making contact with the target.

Either way, HST ammo is top shelf stuff and availability may be a greater challenge as it usually gets bought out pretty quickly.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    The LE stuff is Bonded which means the bullet has a better chance of saying together after penetrating auto glass.

The trade of is that the bullet may not fully expand once making contact with the target.

Either way, HST ammo is top shelf stuff and availability may be a greater challenge as it usually gets bought out pretty quickly.
    Federal Tactical HST isn't bonded. They do, however, make a bonded bullet, and it's called Federal Tactical Bonded.

From ATK's LE website:

"Tactical® HST®

The next generation in high performance duty ammunition. HST® offers consistent expansion and optimum penetration for terminal performance. A specially designed hollow-point tip won't plug while passing through a variety of barriers and this bullet holds its jacket in the toughest conditions. HST is engineered to provide 100% weight retention through most barriers and impressive expansion."

http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...cticalhst.aspx

"Tactical® Bonded®

The edge you can carry into any situation. When the situation leads to a lethal force encounter, rely on your backup, your experience and our Tactical® Bonded® ammunition. Made exclusively for law enforcement, it achieves accuracy and terminal performance unmatched by any other ammunition today. Tactical Bonded is your single, best choice for precision accuracy and barrier penetration. Tactical Bonded® Handgun offers an extremely accurate hollow point with 100% weight retention through most barriers, excellent jacket integrity and consistent 1.5 caliber expansion. It performs exceptionally well in shorter barrels."

http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...calbonded.aspx

Check with your City/County Purchasing Dept. They've probably advertised for bids on their ammo-of-choice. They may also have an annual contract for same.

My agency still mandates 155 gr Hydro Shocks. While I don't agree with the decision, and would like to have heavier bullets( I could care less if they were 200 gr FMJ), I know they have worked well for us in the past, and people have not changed that much. They still bleed.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

KoB
    My best friend works for Customs (Feddy Gov) in MI, and his duty pistol is a HK P2000 .40 and they are issued Federal 155gr .40 ammo HST

PM, PHP KMB, I, 32*

Two, well one, more choices for you:

Both of these loads are the same, they just have different packaging. The load is the FBI issue Winchester 180 gr. 40 S&W load. (LE version of the PDX1). I'm astonished at how cheap it is.

50 rds - 40 cal Winchester Ranger 180 gr Bonded Hollow Point ammo Z Q4355 | SGAmmo.com

50 rds - 40 cal 180 grain Bonded Hollow point Winchester Q4369 ammo | SGAmmo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links