critical defense/ short barrels

This is a discussion on critical defense/ short barrels within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hornady CD 115g FTX $16.99...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: critical defense/ short barrels

KDV
    The perpetual changes which have been rung upon the wealthy, the well-born, and the great, have been such as to inspire the disgust of all sensible men.
    Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers No. 85

2. Remove Ads

Hey guys,

Was able to hit the range today after school, and decided to use up all 40 of my CD rounds.
    Let me say, they fed perfectly through my XD40 subcompact, were spot-on accurate, and left very little powder residue behind. They did kick pretty good, since they're a hot load, but I was overall impressed. I'd feel just fine carrying this round.

Neither the deer shot with the 240 gr fired from a .44 mag at 1800 fps, or the one hit with the 100 gr Nosler ballistic tip from a 25.06 at 3450 fps survived single well placed shots to the vitals. Just sayin
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

And your point is? Not really sure what you're "just sayin" ?

Quote Originally Posted by KDV View Post
    9mm 147 Grain T-Series Winchester Ranger LE - 50 Rounds - Surplus Ammo

147gr Winchester Ranger-T 147gr...$29.99/50.

Cheaper and better, all across the board.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hi Cuda66;

Isn't that the "rebadged" Winchester Black Talon bullet? Looks like a more reasonable price.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, its something that I dont feel the need to discuss with you, but I have killed alot of stuff with various calibers and projectiles. From African plains game to whitetail deer.
    Served my country abroad and seen alot of stuff first hand. And into my 17th year of LE work, still seeing it.

Now that in itself sure as hell dont mean I am an expert. But what I know, I didnt get from the inet or a book. But, what I have read in a book, I went out and tried to prove through practical means. An example is Elmer Keiths theory on large heavy bullets. I shot all kinds of animals with his recommended loads over the early years, and then tried modern HP ammo. Deer, hogs, gemsbok, wilderbeast, and even a rogue cow. And after all these years, I have found out Keith was correct. Reliable , predictable penetration to organs is what brings down critters. And the same principle applys to humans.

Shooting or having shot a person or people doesnt make you anymore a ballistic expert than being a cook makes you a nutritionist.

Heres my advice, and you can take it or leave it, just something for you to look into. Scrap all the crap about kinetic energy touted by the experts and embrace the Taylor KO formula. That is the beginning of ballistic understanding.
    Couldn't agree with you less but thats why these internet debates are fun. Get to see lots of different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hi Cuda66;

Isn't that the "rebadged" Winchester Black Talon bullet? Looks like a more reasonable price.
    Ranger-T is an improved Talon (improved for more reliable expansion after barriers). The older Ranger SXT was a rebadged Talon bullet sans molycoat; tends to plug.

The "civilian' SXT was a completely different bullet.

I think that the Ranger-T is one of the better bullet choices out there, no matter what caliber you're talking about...and yes, they are usually considerably less expensive than the "civilian" offerings from various ammo companies, especially when bought in bulk.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

RKM
    Most tests I see of Ranger-T shows that it stills plugs after a few layers of clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    And your point is? Not really sure what you're "just sayin" ?
    Light and fast, or heavy and slower. Or somewhere in between, well placed shots get the job done, considering reasonable penetration is achieved.

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

we have a case of " thread slippage" here
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

[QUOTE=BioGLoCK23;2052101]Boattail, take a look at this guys ammo test on YouTube...

tnoutdoors9's Channel - YouTube

His reviews, tests, and demos are top notch in my opinion.[/QUOTE[
    I just looked at them, thanks. Good info, and it seems as if the CDX performs as advertised.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    The ironic part is that the "flex tip" Hornady installs in the hollow point cavity has actually caused less reliable feeding for some, as if the tip extends too far out of the cavity the round may get stuck and will not chamber. I've seen this happen personally in an XD.

The best short barrel loads are the Speer Gold Dot short barrel loads, and I've also seen some promising testing of the Winchester PDX1, specifically in .380 ACP.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think these are the flex tips you are referring to. I believe that is the rifle rounds that the flex tip extends beyond the jacket.

All I am saying is that a decade ago, I would not have even considered a 9mm or .38 spcl. for a self defense gun. Since then, with bullet designs and increases in performance, they are now viable. Thats the reason that I am interested in new designs. Anything to up my odds, I'm in favor of.

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    we have a case of " thread slippage" here
    LOL! Yep, my bad.... Trying to create an comparison with rifle bullet technology. I guess it only made sense in my head!!!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links