124 vs 147 gr 9mm - Page 2

124 vs 147 gr 9mm

This is a discussion on 124 vs 147 gr 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [QUOTE=Eagleks;2052990]A couple of my guns have issues with 147 gr HP .... so I just don't use it so I don't accidentally have it in ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 65
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 124 vs 147 gr 9mm

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array sigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    540
    [QUOTE=Eagleks;2052990]A couple of my guns have issues with 147 gr HP .... so I just don't use it so I don't accidentally have it in the wrong gun and then have an issue when I need it most. Make sure your gun likes it, before you rely on it.[/Q+PUOTE]

    I know what you mean. My PPS does not like 147gr but 124gr is flawless. I use any of the 3: Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST. I really don't care to use +P.


  2. #17
    VIP Member Array smolck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,190
    I honestly think people overestimate the difference between 124 and 147 grain bullets. I mean really, a 23 grain increase is something none of us can tell by hand. And in a human target, where live bone, tissue and muscle exists there are too many variables to say a minuscule 23 grains is going to make a difference and not even worth discussing. And since we will never be able to be accurately replicate something that resembles a human target with those variables (LIVING bone, muscle, and tissue) nobody can say definitively what will or won't happen with ANY bullet. Velocity is king IMO. My logic is simple, the 55 grain bullet in a .223 is far more destructive than a 230 grain bullet form a .45acp. Why? The .223 is traveling over 2500 fps. So if I can get a 115gr +p bullet moving at 1200fps or more in my 9mm, that is the best bullet IMO. Why do you think the .357 magnum is such a documented man stopper? Because it launches a 125 grain bullet at 1300 fps.

    Again, we are talking about ballistics in human targets (unless you all are carrying SD rounds because of the recent rash of flash gelatin mobs taking over) and therefore you can't ever say with certainty that bullet "X" will perform better than bullet "Y" because the target will not be standing still, will not be hit in the exact same spot, nor always in soft tissue.

    And yes, I realize all the points I made are arguable, but until we can get the government to let us use rapists and child molesters as our ballistics medium, we won't ever have the data we all want so badly.

  3. #18
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    I stagger load Speer 124gr +P GDHP and Federal 147gr HST. Both are on DocGKR's list of meeting the criteria for SD rounds.

    With that said, there is a slight variation in the perceived attributes of each of the two. Stagger loading allows taking advantage of the positive of those perceived variations, with virtually no down side. The logic being there may be some gain, but no loss.

    Most likely an aggressor will be shot more than once, eliminating the need for counting/round position.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  4. #19
    Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern AZ
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Again, we are talking about ballistics in human targets (unless you all are carrying SD rounds because of the recent rash of flash gelatin mobs taking over) and therefore you can't ever say with certainty that bullet "X" will perform better than bullet "Y" because the target will not be standing still, will not be hit in the exact same spot, nor always in soft tissue.

    And yes, I realize all the points I made are arguable, but until we can get the government to let us use rapists and child molesters as our ballistics medium, we won't ever have the data we all want so badly.
    I wouldn't limit yourself to just rapist and child molesters.

    I get your point, I mean I've seen what a .243 does to the lung of deer, it looks like pulp. That being said, when you get down to the pistol caliber's that are going so much slower, relying on proper expansion and penetration begins to get finnicky. You mention that 23gr's is hardly a difference, but you could say that about anything, i.e. a .40 cal bullet is only a little bit bigger in diameter than a 9mm bullet, but I'd still rather have a .40 S&W caliber gun in my pocket instead of my 9mm if I could. Just like if I have the choice I would rather have 147gr than 124gr, will it make a huge difference? I don't know, but isn't taking all those precautions and doing all those little things what this site is entirely about?
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array smolck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,190
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    You mention that 23gr's is hardly a difference, but you could say that about anything, i.e. a .40 cal bullet is only a little bit bigger in diameter than a 9mm bullet, but I'd still rather have a .40 S&W caliber gun in my pocket instead of my 9mm if I could.
    Again, I see your points too and while I don't agree that .40 cal is substantially better than a 9mm. But I will say this, what makes the .40 cal what it is? Larger bullet at a faster speed right? Exactly my point, faster is better. I'd rather shoot a 155 grain .40 cal than a 180 grain .40 cal.

  6. #21
    Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern AZ
    Posts
    979
    Ok. Fair enough. I think it just comes down to what each persons opinion is of that proper combo of speed and weight, either way hit em' and hit em' again.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

  7. #22
    Senior Member Array AZ Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun, AZ
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Again, I see your points too and while I don't agree that .40 cal is substantially better than a 9mm. But I will say this, what makes the .40 cal what it is? Larger bullet at a faster speed right? Exactly my point, faster is better. I'd rather shoot a 155 grain .40 cal than a 180 grain .40 cal.
    And what does this extra speed actually do?

    Nothing permanent.

    A faster bullet might create a larger temporary wound cavity, however, the difference would be measured microscopically. Human tissue is incredibly elastic, and common handgun calibers simply do not have the ENERGY required to create a permanent wound channel much larger than the bullet itself. What you want in a bullet fired from a handgun is deep penetration and reliable expansion.

    Seriously, what law or theory in physics are you using to base your opinion that "faster is better?"

    Also, you said, "But I will say this, what makes the .40 cal what it is?" I can assure you that the only reason .40 S&W still exists is because of the 180 gr load. Why? The 180 gr load has the potential to penetrate through intermediate barriers and expand just as well as a 230gr .45 ACP but has greater capacity.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

    “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

  8. #23
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Any of these are fine.

    Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

    I prefer the Corbon DPX (Barnes XPB) 115gr +P myself.

    My favorites
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array smolck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,190
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Seriously, what law or theory in physics are you using to base your opinion that "faster is better?"
    The same law that applies to rifle bullets doing 10 times more damage than any pistol round with a lot less weight but a bunch more speed.

    Also, Mas Ayoob has written (and has videos on youtube) that extensively talk about the higher velocity, lighter weight rounds being more effective in real life shootings. I'm not going to argue with you, merely having a conversation.

  10. #25
    Senior Member Array AZ Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun, AZ
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The same law that applies to rifle bullets doing 10 times more damage than any pistol round with a lot less weight but a bunch more speed.

    Also, Mas Ayoob has written (and has videos on youtube) that extensively talk about the higher velocity, lighter weight rounds being more effective in real life shootings. I'm not going to argue with you, merely having a conversation.
    Two words: Kinetic Energy.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

    “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

  11. #26
    Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Posts
    241
    If your only choice of 9mm ammunition, is NATO ball, so be it, and as we are mostly concerned with our collective ability to survive a lawful use of our carry CCW, and are not limited to NATO ball, then we listen to our peers.

    Knowing that no magic bullet exists, and it does not! I went back and forth on WW Ranger, for years, 127g +P+ or 147g non plusP, same Ranger T. As we have more or less no control on that bullet once it enters the human body, accuracy, major factor, bullet performance, ditto.

    Then the ability to return to point of aim, becomes paramount, and have more bullets strike in the same time frame, I opted for the 147g, it recoils less.

  12. #27
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,958
    Shoot a few medium sized game animals with both and then tell me what you think, if you don't think sectional density matters. I can't stand it when people rattle off crap they read or hear someone else say.

    Get off the couch, put the computer away and put the so called theories to the test. I bet you come back with a different point of view.

    You cannot compare rifle rounds to handgun rounds. They both work but in different ways. To compare in this discussion is stupid. TO make some of the completely baseless statements about the 40 cal or ignorrant statements like a 223 round has a velocity of 2500 fps is laughable.

    If you want mythical power from a lightweight bullet, go for it. If you want CONSISTANT performance from a heavier bullet, then fine. I'll personally take the latter, because I know better from real experience not a bunch of regurgitated BS written in Guns & Animosity.

    Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, however, if the shoe fits , wear it.
    wmhawth, bmcgilvray and Cuda66 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  13. #28
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,655
    And that should put this discussion to bed. Since few (if any) of us have had the opportunity to test our preferred SD loads on a real-life BG in a real-world scenerio, it's all speculation at this point.
    wmhawth, glockman10mm and Majorlk like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,025
    Hey, all I know is they put bigger brakes on bigger heavier trucks for a reason.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

  15. #30
    Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    My logic is simple, the 55 grain bullet in a .223 is far more destructive than a 230 grain bullet form a .45acp. Why? The .223 is traveling over 2500 fps.
    The extra damage from the rifle round is also a factor of hydrostatic shock. Velocity threshold for that is around 2200 fps, if I remember correctly. To get the additional effect that makes the rifle rounds more devastating, you still need to bump the pistol round up about another 1000 fps at least.

    Memory says the FN FiveSeven is the only handgun that gets close to that.

    So far as I can tell, bullet design has been the single most important factor determining performance.

    I just look for a lately-produced round that I can afford and work on being able to hit what I aim at with it. I won't be a first adopter, though, so it won't be too lately-produced. But there's plenty of choices even without that.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

    www.inshadowinlight.com

    http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

124 vs 147 9mm

,

124gr vs 147gr

,
9mm 124 vs 147
,
9mm 124gr vs 147gr
,

federal hst 124 vs 147

,
federal hst 147
,
federal hst 147gr jhp
,
federal hst 147gr jhp for sale
,
federal hst 9mm 124 vs 147
,
gsb9mmd
,

winchester ranger sxt 9mm for sale

,

winchester ranger t 9mm for sale

Click on a term to search for related topics.