124 vs 147 gr 9mm

This is a discussion on 124 vs 147 gr 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gaius I know there is no one right answer here, but what do you all see the various pros and cons between ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 124 vs 147 gr 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I know there is no one right answer here, but what do you all see the various pros and cons between these two loads in premium SD cartridges? Your personal choice?
    Practice with 147gr FMJ and carry 124gr HPs. Range time should give you a better idea. As far as PD ammo alone....you get what works best for you and your pistol no matter what you've heard or the hype that circulates about certain subjects from time to time.
    There is a right answer even though you don't think there is....but the best answer is not always the right answer for everyone.

2. Remove Ads

If I had a gun with a longer barrel suppose Id use heavier bullets. The 147gr are better than what they used to be from all the major manufactures. But I have a sub compact with a 3inch barrel and use 115 to 124gr projectiles.

I use 124-127 because that's closer to what I target practice with.
    USN Retired

When in doubt go with the heavy rounds. A lot of excellent postings and advice.

A subject that will never have an answer .
    Of course you can discount the extremes on both ends but then you reach a middle spread on rounds that just do not make a difference.
    The 9mm rounds have improved over the years the 115 to 124Gr JHP cover the bases well. The 147gr JHP is about the limit for a 9mm a bit much for a little 9mm to push but if you up close it will get the job done. Full size 9mm will have better performance with the 147.
    I have long ago gave up on this one best round thing. I use the 124gr JHP in my CC 9mm however I would have no problem with 115Gr JHP either and if that don't do the job then it is over.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Some of us shoot whatever is available at our local shops.
    Idahokid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Some of us shoot whatever is available at our local shops.
    That works.. around here you can buy just about anything. I burn up a lot of lower cost 115 ball sometimes they have sales that beat online bulk prices.

For warmer months: Federal HST 124g 9mm +P - better expansion through light clothing.

For colder months: Federal HST 147g 9mm - better penetration through heavy clothing.

The HST 9mm have never let me down. Shot placement is the key. I don't subscribe to bigger, better, faster, etc. I choose what I am the most comfortable shooting accurately and ignore the nay-sayers. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by CDWolfe View Post
    For warmer months: Federal HST 124g 9mm +P - better expansion through light clothing.

For colder months: Federal HST 147g 9mm - better penetration through heavy clothing.

The HST 9mm have never let me down. Shot placement is the key. I don't subscribe to bigger, better, faster, etc. I choose what I am the most comfortable shooting accurately and ignore the nay-sayers. YMMV.
    Just so you know, ALL hollow points penetrate more through heavy clothing because they expand less due to clogging.

Here's the HST chart: http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Just so you know, ALL hollow points penetrate more through heavy clothing because they expand less due to clogging.

Here's the HST chart: http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf
    Not true, as my own dept. has its test results that verify my original statement. The heavier the clothing, the less penetration you get has been our finding, especially in the .45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by CDWolfe View Post
    Not true, as my own dept. has its test results that verify my original statement. The heavier the clothing, the less penetration you get has been our finding, especially in the .45 ACP.
    Are the test results ballistic gelatin based or people based?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

In my 9mm I prefer the 147 Gr bullet, either Gold Dot or Rem Golden Saber.

My home cast bullets that I use for practice and IDPA type matches are 147 Grain.

IN my EDC in 40 S&W it is 180 gr and in my .45 it is the 230 gr Gold Dot +p

The 9mm is known to over-penetrate, so why does everyone like 147 gr. bullets? Over-penetration is not only dangerous; it is ineffective. As a bullet passes through terminal media, it is being "stopped". The work required to stop this round is done by tissue and bone, so you would want that tissue and bone to have to do a lot of work. If the bullet exits the target, then it has energy that the target did not get a chance to absorb. This energy is WASTED. So go with something with greater energy and lower penetration like a 124 gr. +P.
    Doghandler likes this.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

RKM
    I carry standard pressure 124gr HST in my G19. I often consider moving to 147gr HST or Gold Dots. The performance isn't drastically different though.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    The 9mm BALL AMMO is known to over-penetrate, so why does everyone like 147 gr. bullets? Over-penetration is not only dangerous; it is ineffective. As a bullet passes through terminal media, it is being "stopped". The work required to stop this round is done by tissue and bone, so you would want that tissue and bone to have to do a lot of work. If the bullet exits the target, then it has energy that the target did not get a chance to absorb. This energy is WASTED. So go with something with greater energy and lower penetration like a 124 gr. +P.
    Fixed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links