124 vs 147 gr 9mm

This is a discussion on 124 vs 147 gr 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm For better penetration I prefer 147. I'd take heavier if it was offered. Exactly. I carry 147g JHPs....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 124 vs 147 gr 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    For better penetration I prefer 147. I'd take heavier if it was offered.
    Exactly. I carry 147g JHPs.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    The 9mm is known to over-penetrate, so why does everyone like 147 gr. bullets? Over-penetration is not only dangerous; it is ineffective. As a bullet passes through terminal media, it is being "stopped". The work required to stop this round is done by tissue and bone, so you would want that tissue and bone to have to do a lot of work. If the bullet exits the target, then it has energy that the target did not get a chance to absorb. This energy is WASTED. So go with something with greater energy and lower penetration like a 124 gr. +P.
    So, what you're saying is:

If you had a 147gr JHP with, say 350ft/lbs energy that expanded to .6" and punched a clean hole through, exiting out the back with just enough force to be stopped in the clothes (a common place to find JHP's that fully penetrate the torso), and a 124+P with 400 ft/lbs and expanded to .6" and stopped in muscle tissue before exiting, the 124+P would be better because it had 50 (or so) more pounds of energy.

Explain to me exactly what those 50 pounds did in increasing the round's effectiveness, please.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Each year I change out what I carry in my work G17.. Last year I carried 9mm Winchester Ranger +P+ 127, and never felt under gunned.

What I did not like was the felt recoil, and the lost time in regaining the target.

There is something to be said for quickly putting multi number of rounds on target..

So this year I changed to Federal HST 147, but continued carrying Federal 124 hydro shok in my off duty G26.

Now I知 facing a dilemma. I want to carry the same round on duty and off duty...

But, due to its record of deep penetration, I知 fearful of using the 147 in a crowed urban environment.
    So now I知 back to considering 125 gr 9mm again.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Each year I change out what I carry in my work G17.. Last year I carried 9mm Winchester Ranger +P+ 127, and never felt under gunned.

What I did not like was the felt recoil, and the lost time in regaining the target.

There is something to be said for quickly putting multi number of rounds on target..

So this year I changed to Federal HST 147, but continued carrying Federal 124 hydro shok in my off duty G26.

Now I知 facing a dilemma. I want to carry the same round on duty and off duty...

But, due to its record of deep penetration, I知 fearful of using the 147 in a crowed urban environment.
    So now I知 back to considering 125 gr 9mm again.
    If you are fearful of the "deep penetration" of the 147 gr., I suggest switching to the 124 gr. +P Speer Gold Dot. In my opinion, and in the opinion of the NYPD and the entire country of France, it's the best 9x19mm load available. (Although I'm not sure I'd take advice from the NYPD, considering their hit ratio in gunfights is under 10%. 12 lb. trigger pulls just don't do it...)

There is nothing to fear when using the 147 gr. HST, however.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

典he real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection. ― Thomas Paine

I used to carry 124 +P until I read an article and seen ballistics data showing the 147 gr performs better. Especially in the shorter barrel guns.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links