What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag? - Page 2

What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag?

This is a discussion on What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by a__l__a__n Then there's the question of where that 357 bullet will end up when you miss. Quite possibly in your neighbor's house.. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag?

Quote Originally Posted by a__l__a__n View Post
    Then there's the question of where that 357 bullet will end up when you miss. Quite possibly in your neighbor's house.. or in his neighbor's house.
    Just like with any other caliber. So I don't get your point. If you aren't accurate with and cannot handle training with .357 then stick to .38. YOUR problem is solved.

All those WW2 vets didn't have any issue firing off 30.06 repeatedly.....
    glockman10mm likes this.

Thank you for your concerns.

My hearing is already in the crapper, partially from shooting people indoors without hearing protection, so that is not a concern of mine.
    glockman10mm and atctimmy like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Hornady Critical Defense, works great! Killed a brush wolf with it in one shot (it was going after my uncles chickens, didn't do it just for fun)
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Just like with any other caliber. So I don't get your point. If you aren't accurate with and cannot handle training with .357 then stick to .38. YOUR problem is solved.

All those WW2 vets didn't have any issue firing off 30.06 repeatedly.....
    Sorry my point wasn't clear enough. A 357 magnum bullet will penetrate more walls than a 38 special. Do you disagree?

I haven't said anything about difficulties with accuracy and training on 357. You must be thinking of someone else.

And as far as I know, those WW2 vets were firing those 30.06 rounds outdoors.

I use the Buffalo Bore Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil Low Flash .357 load in 158 gr. Great round that is very accurate out of my S&W 640. I've also used and liked the Hornady Critical Defense load.

The Gold Saber 125gr
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    158 Grain DoubleTap 357 Mag. DoubleTap Ammunition

Deadguy got it right on recoil control... firm grip & wrist, soft elbow... S&W 360 (13 ounce weapon with 1 7/8" barrel.)

I always use the heaviest grain weight available....

The recoil junkie above would look for a 357 magnum +P+P+ if he could find one... I think I saw Deadguy once holding a round in his bare hand and tapping the primer with an icepick....
    HA!!! it was a 50 BMG round too!
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Sorry my point wasn't clear enough. A 357 magnum bullet will penetrate more walls than a 38 special. Do you disagree?

I haven't said anything about difficulties with accuracy and training on 357. You must be thinking of someone else.

And as far as I know, those WW2 vets were firing those 30.06 rounds outdoors.
    Repeatedly, with many going off around them, constantly. As for penetration, I think you are falling for the typical internet myth. Lots of calibers are effective after penetration

Repeatedly, with many going off around them, constantly. As for penetration, I think you are falling for the typical internet myth. Lots of calibers are effective after penetration
    Permanent hearing damage occurs at 150db. An average 357 magnum round is 164 db, which is 16x the pressure level of 150 db. Sixteen times!

The issue with penetration is the safety of the neighbors. I wouldn't be too appreciative of my next door neighbor firing a 357 magnum inside his house in the general direction of my house. I doubt he would appreciate my doing the same in his direction. People ought to pay some attention to over-penetration. At least in Georgia, despite the Castle Doctrine laws on the books, the shooter is still liable for collateral damage to innocent third parties.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    In my 3" sp101 my town load is buffalo bore + p 158 grain LSWHP. My woods load is fed..357 mag. 158 grain hydra-shock.

Permanent hearing damage occurs at 150db. An average 357 magnum round is 164 db, which is 16x the pressure level of 150 db. Sixteen times!

The issue with penetration is the safety of the neighbors. I wouldn't be too appreciative of my next door neighbor firing a 357 magnum inside his house in the general direction of my house. I doubt he would appreciate my doing the same in his direction. People ought to pay some attention to over-penetration. At least in Georgia, despite the Castle Doctrine laws on the books, the shooter is still liable for collateral damage to innocent third parties.
    Again, 9mm or 38 +P will penetrate just as much. Is the .357 some wonder round? It is going to go through more walls than other rounds and kill people?

As for hearing damage, I fired 4 rounds of 9mm off inside a closed structure...... so according to your chart... 9mm 159.8 dB I have permanent hearing damage, although my yearly tests indicate otherwise. So I will take what you say with a grain of salt, duly note it, and tell you again that if big bad wall killing .357 scares you because of the loud boom or you cannot handle it adequately enough to shoot it proficiently, you are welcome to carry .38 special without penalty..... others choose to ignore internet myths however and carry the best performing round they can carry proficiently.

My 9 mm kicks and booms louder than my .357 does, well except for one .357 I have.

I have never remembered anything about the loudness of a round, when I was shooting at someone who was trying to kill me. Odd, that it happens that way, isn't it.

So, if I meet a BG who wants to kill me, I should say "can you hold on a second, I need to put on my hearing protection" ?

Maybe some need to return to the baseball bat mode of defense, as long as they don't scream too loud.

< sarcasism off >

125 gr hydrashok .357
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

In .357mag 125gr Golden Saber these have been the most controllable for me in either a snub or full size Ruger wheelgun.

Or for .38spcl 135gr+p Gold Dot Short barrel. Exceptionally controllable and I do not feel under gunned in any way.

Again, 9mm or 38 +P will penetrate just as much. Is the .357 some wonder round? It is going to go through more walls than other rounds and kill people?
    I'm not going to try to give you a primer on handgun calibers. Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My 9 mm kicks and booms louder than my .357 does, well except for one .357 I have.

I have never remembered anything about the loudness of a round, when I was shooting at someone who was trying to kill me. Odd, that it happens that way, isn't it.

So, if I meet a BG who wants to kill me, I should say "can you hold on a second, I need to put on my hearing protection" ?

Maybe some need to return to the baseball bat mode of defense, as long as they don't scream too loud.

< sarcasism off >

125 gr hydrashok .357
    Sarcasm and ridicule are not persuasive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links