What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag? - Page 3

What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag?

This is a discussion on What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by a__l__a__n I'm not going to try to give you a primer on handgun calibers. Never mind. Yes because the .357 magnum is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag?

Quote Originally Posted by a__l__a__n View Post
    I'm not going to try to give you a primer on handgun calibers. Never mind.
    Yes because the .357 magnum is a wonder round. Penetrating farther and faster than any round in existence. The mere firing of it causes walls to crumble.

Kind of like the 88 magnum

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Yes because the .357 magnum is a wonder round. Penetrating farther and faster than any round in existence. The mere firing of it causes walls to crumble.

Kind of like the 88 magnum

Take a look at Hornady's chart

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...chart-2010.pdf

and then tell me whether you still think a 9mm or a 38 special will penetrate as many sheet rock walls as a 357 magnum.

usually a full-load reversed wadcutter

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Golden Saber 125 grain JHP
    Plus 1.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Take a look at Hornady's chart

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...chart-2010.pdf

and then tell me whether you still think a 9mm or a 38 special will penetrate as many sheet rock walls as a 357 magnum.
    Can you point to actual drywall tests ( as I did) rather than some vanilla ballistic chart that covers one manufacturers cartridge out of hundreds and doesn't take into account barrel length .... and I thought you were going to actually have an intelligent discussion with me about handgun cartridges. I mean, is 12 sheets of drywall enough for you or must it go through 14-20 to be dangerous in your eyes?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

Here is some other good tests.... http://230grain.com/showthread.php?6...st-%28Adpat%29

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Can you point to actual drywall tests ( as I did) rather than some vanilla ballistic chart that covers one manufacturers cartridge out of hundreds and doesn't take into account barrel length .... and I thought you were going to actually have an intelligent discussion with me about handgun cartridges. I mean, is 12 sheets of drywall enough for you or must it go through 14-20 to be dangerous in your eyes?

The Box O' Truth #23 - ExtremeShock™ Ammo and the Box O' Truth - Page 1

Here is some other good tests.... Ammunition Drywall Penetration Analysis test (Adpat)
    I didn't see any comparison between 9mm, 38 special, and 357 at those links.

I'm not going to argue this further. I think most folks here know which of those three is substantially more powerful than the other two.

I didn't see any comparison between 9mm, 38 special, and 357 at those links.

I'm not going to argue this further. I think most folks here know which of those three is substantially more powerful than the other two.
    Exactly, you don't need to. You are worried about .357 over 38 special or 9mm but the 9mm went through 12, count them 12 drywall boards, which means no matter what caliber you carry if you miss, your neighbors and innocents could be in danger of getting hit regardless of caliber which totally blows your theory of "carry .38 instead of .357 because there is less chance of it going through drywall and killing someone" theory right out of the water.....

VIP Member
    From my S&W model-640 I use several but Speer GD .357, 135 gr. is my main carry.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I've related this single experience with the .357 Magnum here on the Forum before. I've never been a lawman but once tagged along to the scene of a shooting with a good friend who was the chief investigator for the Sheriff's office for our county. We'd been to the range shooting and were sitting at my reloading bench, cleaning and admiring the new 2 1/2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 66 he'd just acquired when the call came over his radio. He asked me if I wanted to go along.

A young woman with two kids is being repeatedly abused by a drinking/drugging husband with a very mean streak. She goes into hiding in another town, put up in a spare rental house by her boss and his wife who owns the restaurant where she waitresses. The boss also lends her a Llama Comanche .357 Magnum revolver with a 4-inch barrel for self protection in case the husband discovers her whereabouts. If you are unfamiliar with the Comanche think 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson sized revolver.

The creep discovers her whereabouts and one evening and breaks down the door and begins snatching her bald headed and beating her up with his fists in front of their children, a little boy and girl, both 3-5 years old. She retreats to the kitchen, procures the revolver and shoots twice. The first shot misses but the second centers his heart, putting him on his back on the floor, "deader 'n a mackerel." When they rolled him over he had an exit wound of less than an inch in diameter. A perfect hit and fight over.

The load used was one that I would have tagged as prone to over-penetration and it sure did with him, a skinny runt who probably weighed no more than 135 lbs.. After punching him through and through, it smacked into the sheetrock wall in the kitchen, breaking the paper backing and making a dent. It then bounced off and ended up beneath a kitchen cupboard 10 feet away. I found the bullet after the other deputies failed to. It was a 158 grain jacketed soft point, barely deformed on its lead nose. It could have almost been reloaded into another case and fired again. Sometime later after the incident, my friend disposed of the remainder of the box of ammunition that was used in the shooting by giving it to me. She was no-billed by the way and the shooting ruled justified.

It was a box of factory Federal 158 grain JSP ammunition. Not really a first choice for personal defense but undeniably effective. I shot some of it over my chronograph from a 6-inch Smith & Wesson Model 27. It clocked a hair over 1300 fps, something like 1308 fps. From the 4-inch Llama Comanche it probably gave a velocity of 1250-1280 fps.

Over-penetration certainly can be an issue but in this instance the bullet didn't have enough energy left to even penetrate a single 1/2-inch piece of sheetrock. It still could have made a nasty, or even fatal wound for someone if they had been behind the creep. In this particular instance though, the bullet didn't accomplish the stupendous penetration that is feared in so many forum posts. Of course on another occurrence, results could be completely different.

Oh, the first shot that missed. It traveled through a door opening between the kitchen and a long combination living/dining room, struck the sheetrock wall over the front windows of the house which faced the street, and exiting the house which had exterior wood siding. It is doubtful that the bullet penetrated any stud in the wall. That bullet could have been a problem. Unless its trajectory was altered by impact with the front wall of the house it likely arced over the house across the street to come down somewhere in the tiny "downtown" district in the center of this small farming community of 500 or fewer folks.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Ex Member
    I will be the ONLY one but I like the wadcutters. Nice clean cookie cutter hole, without worrying about will it open. or won't it open

Nope, you're not the only one. I like the semi-wadcutters in revolvers and it matters not to me if they have a hollow point or not.

For a "real" .357 Magnum round, stoke up some nicely cast lead 158 grain SWCs over a healthy charge of 2400 as found in the Lyman manuals from days of yore. Current .357 loadings pale to .38 Special status by comparison. That was the way do do the mighty .357 Magnum rather than these parsimonious "-P" .357 loadings currently promoted.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

It is amazing how "watered down" most loads, especially .357, are compared to the late 70s and early 80s.

Personally, I like(d) W296 for hot .357 loads.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

You know who requested the SAAMI down grading of .357 Mag pressures from 43,500 to 35,000, right?

I still prefer W296 for hot .357 loads.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

My really heavy loads were reserved for my M28, but I no longer have it. My Python loads were a little more subdued. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Guantes;

I've read that claim about lowering .357 Magnum pressures for the K-Frame Smith & Wessons on forums just in the recent past. May in fact, be true but it sure smacks of an internet rumor. No amount of searching seems to find hard documentation but rather a continuous circle of forum repetition. No matter, the .357 Magnum belongs in larger revolvers rather than smaller.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links