What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag?

This is a discussion on What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, BMC; That is possible, although I consider the source credible. I agree that the .357 Mag belongs in larger/stronger revolvers. I have years of ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What do you carry in your short barreled .357 mag?

Hey, BMC;

That is possible, although I consider the source credible.

I agree that the .357 Mag belongs in larger/stronger revolvers. I have years of hot reloads through my 27 with no ill effects.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

Hey again Guantes;

Me too on the hot loads and the Model 27. I started out with a Smith & Wesson 4-inch Model 19 as my first .357 Magnum in the late 1970s. Dreamed about a Model 19 for years. In the event, it proved to be equal to some heavy handloading I was feeding it including a dalliance with 110 grain JHPs and heavy charges of powder; Super Vel having been popular in those days. Since I already had a .38 Special revolver I only shot it with magnum ammunition. An N-Frame Model 28 came along and then it's twin the Model 27 and the shooting difference was notable. So that first Model 19 went away. Several more Model 19s have come and gone over the years and all have held up to magnum handloads just fine. The Model 27 though, is my favorite .357 Magnum of all.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Just as an aside to ALAN: You know that sometimes those GIs fought inside too. They have these things in Europe called cities and in other places they had these things called farms. These farm thingies had houses. Sometimes those pesky Germans hid in these cities and these farm house things.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

BMC,

I also was a fan of and loaded hot 110 jhp's, having had positive street experience with Super Vel.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    BMC,

I also was a fan of and loaded hot 110 jhp's, having had positive street experience with Super Vel.
    I remember one particular handload using 110 grain Sierra JHCs (they called them hollow cavities back then) and Blue Dot. It was a near max load as found in the 1978 Sierra manual. Was a screamer over the chronograph screens from the 4-inch Model 19 and the fire ball would singe one's shoe laces. It was dazzling, even in daylight. Nighttime shooting was glorious. A similar load using Unique was almost as bad.

Later, I went off lightweight bullets at "enhanced" velocities. The expansion didn't pan out as dependably as was suggested. Expanding bullets have probably come a long way since then.

Speaking of SuperVel. I once administered a finishing shot to a downed buck deer using the SuperVel .38 Special +P 110 grain load. SuperVel was all it was cracked up to be and velocity was over 1300 fps from my revolver. Fired point blank into the deer's heart from his left side, the bullet pierced the heart and ranged far down into his left front leg, executing a nifty turn in there somewhere. I cut it out just above the knee joint. It could have been reloaded for all the "expansion" it accomplished.

The deer did expire though.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

In a model 60, Remington 158g 38+P. In a 686, 158 g .357...unless I load it with 38+P that day. Frankly, if I've shot someone in self defense and the bullet goes thru them and kills someone else, that belongs in "Act of God" territory. I can have some impact on where the bullet hits. How it turns inside the body & where it exits is not in my hands.

My S&W M60 carry load is Speer Short Barrel .357 135gr. HP.

Quote Originally Posted by bsms View Post
    In a model 60, Remington 158g 38+P. In a 686, 158 g .357...unless I load it with 38+P that day. Frankly, if I've shot someone in self defense and the bullet goes thru them and kills someone else, that belongs in "Act of God" territory. I can have some impact on where the bullet hits. How it turns inside the body & where it exits is not in my hands.
    Sounds great in theory but won't work out that way. You acquired the responsibility for that bullet when you pressed the trigger. After all, a bullet unfired won't have opportunity to deflect.
    Magnum likes this.

S&W 686plus 3" loaded with Fiocchi extrema 158 gr jhp. Big gun, big bang, job done! Tack driver!!
    Magnum likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Good question. I just picked up a Ruger SP101 in the short barrel .357. I have Speer Gold Dots +p short barrel loads, but feel those are not the best suited for me. I hear Remington Golden Saber .357 rounds are the shiznit
    One more step and it's on!

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hobobum View Post
    usually a full-load reversed wadcutter
    Do those make a reversed hole?

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Good question. I just picked up a Ruger SP101 in the short barrel .357. I have Speer Gold Dots +p short barrel loads, but feel those are not the best suited for me. I hear Remington Golden Saber .357 rounds are the shiznit
    I have the S&W M 60 short barrel and load with Speer Gold Dot short barrel .357. It gives a little more punch, good penetration, low recoil, and I don't have to mess with the cylinder build up using +P's.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    My LCR 357 is stoked with 140 gr Tactical 357 Mag lead-free, low flash-short barrel ammo from Buffalo Bore.

Boom, Boom. Out go the lights.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links