In case of warewolf...

This is a discussion on In case of warewolf... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm I wonder if the silver was to hard to make proper contact with the lands and grooves of the barrel? Do ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: In case of warewolf...

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I wonder if the silver was to hard to make proper contact with the lands and grooves of the barrel? Do you remember what they deduced as the problem?

Reason I ask is that years ago I cast some lead that was too hard and the base of the bullet did not melt properly to form a good seal, so the gas blew right past it as it traveled down the bore, creating a molten mess in the barrel. You couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with them... But the early years learning sure was fun!
    That sounds about right Gman, but it has been so long I couldn't swear to it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

How about you get a 6 pack of coors light, mount it on the wall and call it a day.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Pure silver rests between lead and copper in terms of hardness, so should not have a problem with lands and grooves.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thanks for the reply guys, although I'm not looking to actually shoot them. Aren't silver tips jacketed in aluminum?

Silver melts at 961.3 degrees more or less,I'm not sure how high the temp on my casting machine goes,but I could always melt the lead with a propane torch,and then hand dip it into bullet molds,If silver doesn't seal like lead,you could always seat a copper gas check on the base,If I cast 200 grain 45 acp bullets they will cost almost $8.50 per bullet so a 1911 8+1 is gonna be about $76.50,which means werewolf hunting ain't for po folks
    OD* likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's much easier to stop a warewolf before you have to shoot them with silver bullets. Simply hang a picture of Nancy Pelosi around your neck.
    regards
    Ed
    OD*, tcox4freedom and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MyRite2Carry View Post
    It's much easier to stop a warewolf before you have to shoot them with silver bullets. Simply hang a picture of Nancy Pelosi around your neck.
    regards
    Ed
    And the werewolf will sue you for cruel and unusual punishment. :)
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by MyRite2Carry View Post
    regards
    Ed
    How does a picture of the walking dead stop a werewolf?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I wonder if the silver was to hard to make proper contact with the lands and grooves of the barrel? Do you remember what they deduced as the problem?

Reason I ask is that years ago I cast some lead that was too hard and the base of the bullet did not melt properly to form a good seal, so the gas blew right past it as it traveled down the bore, creating a molten mess in the barrel. You couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with them... But the early years learning sure was fun!
    Off the subject of silver bullets but a zinc based bullet was once somewhat popular among handloaders, the Harvey Pro-Tex-Bore. Was some sort of washer that was sold to drop in the base of the mold. Supposedly the finished bullets could be used without any lube with perfect protection from leading. I never used them and can't really wrap my brain around the reason for their effectiveness. Perhaps they really weren't effective as they are long defunct as far as I know.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Off the subject of silver bullets but a zinc based bullet was once somewhat popular among handloaders, the Harvey Pro-Tex-Bore. Was some sort of washer that was sold to drop in the base of the mold. Supposedly the finished bullets could be used without any lube with perfect protection from leading. I never used them and can't really wrap my brain around the reason for their effectiveness. Perhaps they really weren't effective as they are long defunct as far as I know.
    You are showing your age. :)

I didn't use them either (didn't do much bullet casting) but I do remember several friends using them.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Silver doesn't deform enough when used in bullets to be properly spun by the rifling, and also gets a lot of gas blow by.

Now silver buckshot should work nicely....
    Sky Pilot likes this.

the reason why is because silver is really hard. it will screw up your barrel which is why the accuracy is bad even at close range. do not use pure silver for a bullet. maybe if someone used silver on the side and coated the outside in lead or something that might work

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Years ago, one of the writers for a well known firearms magazine (I don't recall which now) poured some pure silver bullets and found the accuracy to be almost worthless. He/they then poured the silver into rods and milled them on a lathe, accuracy did improved, but not dramatically.
    Last edited by OD*; November 8th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

You...sir are 100% wrong on this

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Pure silver rests between lead and copper in terms of hardness, so should not have a problem with lands and grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Does a warewolf eat wares?
    When I initially read the OPs post my 1st thought was a Tupper-warewolf. Nuttin' against the OP but I proof read my posts b4 I klick the 'post' button then check it again as soon as it is posted. Must be something I picked up in Journalism 104 in high school.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Anyone look to see that this thread is 2+ years old...jus wonderin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links