"Hey look I shot 5 rounds into a water jug and..."

This is a discussion on "Hey look I shot 5 rounds into a water jug and..." within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Perfect expansion, what do you know! " Why do people post these 'reviews' on YouTube and on forums/blogs? Shooting into a water jug proves NOTHING ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: "Hey look I shot 5 rounds into a water jug and..."

"Perfect expansion, what do you know! "

Why do people post these 'reviews' on YouTube and on forums/blogs? Shooting into a water jug proves NOTHING at all. Except, of course, a rounds performance if we are suddenly attacked by denim-clad water jugs!

Curiosity resulting in experimentation without substance. It's something the ballistic jello heads and so called experts in the gun rags have programmed us to think. The beneficiary of this is ammo companies selling people bullets for a dollar apiece.

My new slogan; Think outside the ballistic jello.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I say we start using those out of control feral hogs in ballistic tests, at least get something out of it. :)

VIP Member
    I believe that hunters likely have the best understanding of bullet performance.

Nor do I understand obsessing and arguing over the perfect carry round/caliber, while there's little heated argument over the best training school.

I suppose it's the nature of the beast. My earliest memories of guns were the locals (including the sheriff's deputies - lol) hanging out in my grandaddy's store arguing over calibers and showing off their home-made ammo.
    Civil_Response and gunthorp like this.

I do believe that observing a variety of bullet performance on medium game is helpful in determining, or at the least, give a good idea of what bullets do, and how they work. Of course the animal response will be different than a human, but when you compare the chest cavity of a normal deer to that of a human, they are very close in diameter, and tissue, sans the fur.
    I personally believe it is much closer to real world testing then ballistic jello.

But I also agree that many times too much fretting is done over bullet selection. While I prefer heavier, I would not feel naked with any good well constructed bullet. It's just that I like to stack it in my favor whenever possible.

Currently I use Remington 147 +p Golden Sabers in my 9mm, and 180 grn in the 40. With the 45acp I go with the 230 weight of the GS, but really would feel just as good with ball ammo in the latter.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I say we start using those out of control feral hogs in ballistic tests, at least get something out of it. :)
    BACON!
    357and40 and tcox4freedom like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post

Why do people post these 'reviews' on YouTube and on forums/blogs? Shooting into a water jug proves NOTHING at all. Except, of course, a rounds performance if we are suddenly attacked by denim-clad water jugs!
    I guess the bigger question is why do other people care?

It is a perfectly valid scientific test when comparing one bullet to another in terms of energy. When discussing FMJ bullets, it is fairly scientific to use to compare one round to another in terms of penetration. However, nobody should read too much into those tests, especially with HP rounds, when talking about penetration of human flesh.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    This time of year we do our testing on the ballistic pumpkins. Some gun rag is sure to pay me big bucks for all my scientific research.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Curiosity resulting in experimentation without substance. It's something the ballistic jello heads and so called experts in the gun rags have programmed us to think. The beneficiary of this is ammo companies selling people bullets for a dollar apiece.

My new slogan; Think outside the ballistic jello.
    Shooting water jugs is just fun and games. For real data, go to the pro's. FBI testing is not a joke. That doesn't mean a SWC won't do the job. It probably means that a Gold Dot will do it a little more often.

idk: I thought firing into wet phone books was the standard test?

Quote Originally Posted by a__l__a__n View Post
    Shooting water jugs is just fun and games. For real data, go to the pro's. FBI testing is not a joke. That doesn't mean a SWC won't do the job. It probably means that a Gold Dot will do it a little more often.
    For real data I shoot flesh. What exactly will a Gold Dot do more often?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    For real data I shoot flesh. What exactly will a Gold Dot do more often?
    Expand.

If you shoot the same rounds into water over and over, you’ll get no relevant data in regards to a self-defense round designed for a human target.

But, if you shoot a variety of different rounds into the same material, you will be able to compare penetration, expansion, etc…

It’s not the ideal set up, but it certainly isn’t worthless.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    A buddy and i used to take all kinds of things out to the range, AND HAUL THEM BACK HOME. Things like car doors, engine blocks, assorted lumber, cinder blocks, refer doors, Just to see what would go through to the targets. What they take cover behind in movies usually won't work.
    Majorlk likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links