Would you ever... - Page 2

Would you ever...

This is a discussion on Would you ever... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry FMJ in my 1911. My 1911 dosen't feed reliably with hollows and i like the FMJ. Plus at only around 850 fps I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Would you ever...

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I carry FMJ in my 1911. My 1911 dosen't feed reliably with hollows and i like the FMJ. Plus at only around 850 fps I am not real worried about over penetration.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Shooting thru anything... including side car glass, car doors, doors at home, etc. Many uses for FMJ ammo.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Two words: Minnesota winters.

It means big, thick clothes and layers upon layers of material... When I carried a .380 in the winter it had FMJ's.
    Yeah, I'd carry FMJ in a .380 ACP as well if I lived up there as even premium .380 ACP hollow points are hit or miss at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Shooting thru anything... including side car glass, car doors, doors at home, etc. Many uses for FMJ ammo.
    Most if not all premium heavyweight hollow points will perform perfectly fine through those types of barriers. At worst, they will plug up and act like FMJ ammo. At best, they will expand and remain in the body. Besides, if you need to shoot through a car door, don't. Wait till you can put a shot on a body.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I once read a comment somewhere suggesting the compromise of alternating fmj with hp, especially with smaller calibers like the .380 to give you the best of both and to cover your bases should a hollow point fail to penetrate such as due to heavier clothing.

The day I get breast enhancement surgery is the day I will carry FMJ if I have a choice
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well lets see. I tend to carry FMJ in my .32 pistol when I carry it. When I used to carry a .22 on occasion, I'd keep FMJ in there too. In both cases, I just don't see that HP would really help much.

Many years ago when money was in short supply for me, sometimes all I could afford was target rounds. So it was a choice of buying those, or having an empty gun. Which would you choose?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I carry fmj in my Makarov, always, then fmj or jhp in my .45 ACP depending on my infatuation of the moment...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A .25 with FMJ doesn't do much; a .45 in FMJ will... It's all realtive.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Sure, FMJ, esp in .45 is a good round.
    Some older guns need FMJ.

Where do you think all the legends about the .45acp came from, using HP; well no.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    In my .45 1911's I mostly carry 230 grain hollowpoints (hydra-shock gold dot ect.ect.) But I never have ever felt undergunned the 230 grain FMJ.
    My Dad was a WW2 vet & the 230 hardball saved his bacon often. Mostly out of his tommy gun but he told me the 1911 pistol stoped 'em just as fast. Told me about how his Lt. saved his life once with a 50 yard snap shot out of a 1911. The Jerry rifleman was on a knoll drawing a bead on my Dad with his mauser as he was leading a patrol around the knoll when the Lt. leading a patrol around the other side of the knoll saw the jerry taking aim, the Lt. pointed the pistol & fired quickly the jerry rifleman dropped his rifle & grabbed his hip but was quickley cut down by a chorus M1 rifle fire.
    Dad always said that when looking over enemy dead he could always tell the ones hit by a .45 he called it "that awfull gaping hole".

With this kind of back ground all though I carry 230 grain HP's (why not?) .45 acp 230 hardball gives me all the confidence In a cartridge I will ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Yeah, I'd carry FMJ in a .380 ACP as well if I lived up there as even premium .380 ACP hollow points are hit or miss at best.

Most if not all premium heavyweight hollow points will perform perfectly fine through those types of barriers. At worst, they will plug up and act like FMJ ammo. At best, they will expand and remain in the body. Besides, if you need to shoot through a car door, don't. Wait till you can put a shot on a body.
    Not in my experience they don't. Just saying , when we've shot out windows, windshields, doors, etc..... HP"s flattened out and some times did not penetrate at all, and if they did lost major amounts of energy, whereas the FMJ's did not.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links