Would you ever...

This is a discussion on Would you ever... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was asked by a buddy of mine who isn't really all that into shooting and guns if I would ever carry FMJ ammo in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Would you ever...

Would you ever...

I was asked by a buddy of mine who isn't really all that into shooting and guns if I would ever carry FMJ ammo in my pistol. I couldn't bring myself to find a reason why I would ever empty my mags of the PDX that is in them and put FMJ's into them. Anyone have a valid reason why you would carry FMJ's?
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

2. Remove Ads

That depends upon caliber, and the reliability of the weapon.

With any caliber under a .380/38spl on the power spectrum, I would use fmj, because it is iffy as to whether or not some of those calibers would penetrate enough to incapacitate with JHPs.

If cash was really short and I couldn't buy enough SD ammo to function test for reliability in my carry weapon, I'd rather carry it with FMJ's I trust, that will still do damage, than unreliable ammo I don't trust that may cause a malfunction.

And I wouldn't hesitate to put some 158gr wad-cutters in a .38 special revolver.

It's more about being confident in your weapon, and knowing how to use it properly, than having the latest and greatest.

That being said, given the option, I like JHP.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    That depends upon caliber, and the reliability of the weapon.

With any caliber under a .380/38spl on the power spectrum, I would use fmj, because it is iffy as to whether or not some of those calibers would penetrate enough to incapacitate with JHPs.

If cash was really short and I couldn't buy enough SD ammo to function test for reliability in my carry weapon, I'd rather carry it with FMJ's I trust, that will still do damage, than unreliable ammo I don't trust that may cause a malfunction.

And I wouldn't hesitate to put some 158gr wad-cutters in a .38 special revolver.

It's more about being confident in your weapon, and knowing how to use it properly, than having the latest and greatest.

That being said, given the option, I like JHP.
    There are always some rare occasions where you can't, or something happened and that's all that you have (FMJ), but what I trying to convey to him is that FMJ isn't a good choice for carry. Sometimes it's hard to convince someone who doesn't know shooting that FMJ's will make holes, but it isn't a smart choice, even tho it is cheaper!
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem View Post
    There are always some rare occasions where you can't, or something happened and that's all that you have (FMJ), but what I trying to convey to him is that FMJ isn't a good choice for carry. Sometimes it's hard to convince someone who doesn't know shooting that FMJ's will make holes, but it isn't a smart choice, even tho it is cheaper!
    Well, its not the smartest choice.

However, people managed to kill themselves plenty for centuries without JHP. At least he has a gun and has considered needing it for defense. That puts him ahead of a significant portion of the population.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

RKM
    I wouldn't mind carrying FMJ's if I HAD to. They still get the job done. But obviously if I had a choice, which most of us do, it's HP's for me.

No, unless there was absolutely no other type of ammunition available.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Zombie apocalypse...because you only have to make a hole!
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I would not ever carry ammunition that does not expand and over-penetrates, unless absolutely FORCED to do so (either by state law, or by Geneva convention, like our military forces).

If state law said "No JHPs", I would probably get some Federal "Guard Dog" Expanding FMJ. But that would be the only time I'd carry FMJ.

As someone mentioned it all depends. In my S&W BG380 I use FMJ's. If I was going to the woods and all I had was my 9, 357, 40, or 45 and did not have a proper woods gun, YES I would use FMJ's. I hope this helps. God Bless

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Zombie apocalypse...because you only have to make a hole!
    Exactly what I was going to say- I'm not wasting my good people killing bullets on zombies that only need a hole in their heads.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Only as a second choice, but it wouldn't bother me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Two words: Minnesota winters.

It means big, thick clothes and layers upon layers of material... When I carried a .380 in the winter it had FMJ's.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Two words: Minnesota winters.

It means big, thick clothes and layers upon layers of material... When I carried a .380 in the winter it had FMJ's.
    Funny thing about that; people tend to wear the same winter stuff here in SC. Only difference is that you actually NEED it where you are.
    Our weather is warmer, but people think it's COLD here in the winter- lowest record I can find is -19F, 26 years ago. Compared to your -64F, 15 years ago.

...I think your average is MUCH lower than ours, but I guess when you're going from 110+F highs, 20F does seem cold...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Two more words: hard targets

I'll switch to fmj in my LCP during the winter.

Other than that the only other times I could see myself carrying fmj would be in a 44 magnum in bear country or the shtf scenario has occurred and I've already shot through my stockpile of HP.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links