Sellier & Bellot Ammo - Hard Primers - Have You Had Problems? - Page 2

Sellier & Bellot Ammo - Hard Primers - Have You Had Problems?

This is a discussion on Sellier & Bellot Ammo - Hard Primers - Have You Had Problems? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Kel-tec P-32 has problems with S&B ammo and light primer strikes. No problems with any other brand ammo. I've heard that S&B does use ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sellier & Bellot Ammo - Hard Primers - Have You Had Problems?

My Kel-tec P-32 has problems with S&B ammo and light primer strikes. No problems with any other brand ammo. I've heard that S&B does use hard primers on most of their ammo. However, I've had no problems with their 45ACP in my 1911s or Glocks.

Ex Member
    I have shot 3000-4000 S&B's in 9mm in my CZ with NO failures. Different guns, different ammo.

A friend of mine had a similar issue with Wolf ammo. His M&P45 would not shoot Wolf ammo because of light primer strikes. He ended up giving me his entire pile of Wolf 45 ammo. I shot most of the ammo he gave me through my (now sold) Taurus PT145 without a single FTF. Just goes to re-iterate that guns can be finicky with ammo and that's why its a good idea to test out what works best in your particular gun. My local range used to stock S&B ammo and have bought it from them a few times and had no issues with light primer strikes in my 45's. I've gone through a couple thousand rounds of S&B 9mm without any issue and its usually what I stock pile in that caliber because its been really a great performer at a really low price.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

The strain screw on my S&W backed out under shooting, and so I was getting lighter primer strikes. With S&B ammo, about 80% no fires in DA. With Blazer, about 20%. Still fired 100% in SA.

Found out about the strain screw, and turned it all the way in with locktite. No issues with any ammo, but the fact that my problem was much worse with S&B than Blazer makes me suspect they had harder primers.

Also - while I'm a big fan of revolvers and don't carry anything else, this shows that revolvers are NOT 100% reliable. Any gun can have a problem on any given day.

The only problem I have had was with a 9mm striker pistol, never had a problem with S&B with a hammer on the pistol.

fknipfer1

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I had a number of issues with S&B ammo in my FNP40, primarily failure to feed. I quit using it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

From what I've been told S&B does have "hard" primers.
    Magtech also, my experience with them hasn't been well.
    Federal primers are as "soft" as you can get.

What's funny is the indent on the .32 S&W-L bullets from Prvi Partizan appears much lighter on fired cartridges than on fired Magtech catridges, yet I haven't had one misfire with them.

My G26 doesn't like S&B (or Fiocchi, for that matter). Ridiculous number of FTEs. Shoots everything else that I've used with no problems. So much for Glocks eating anything.

My G19 sees a lot of S&B; it's the cheapest brass cased ammo I can find locally (under $10/box.) I've never had any issues with it, and my brother has never had any problems with it through his Ruger P95.

S&B is my "standard" range ammo - never had any issue with it that wasn't gun related - no failure to fire, reasonably clean. I think my CZ would shoot nails without a problem. My smaller carry pieces seem to shoot them fine, also. Two guns giving an issue might point to an ammo problem - but just to be on the safe side i'd have someone look at the guns. since you probably won't carry the S&B for SD - if the ammo is bad - no big deal, shoot it up, but in the case that it could be the pistols, might they light stike a SD round at some point?
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

S & B have been flawless in my LCP...in fact it is my carry ammo...

Hard Primers

I have been reloading 10mm and I used Sellier & Bellot 5,3 LP Boxer primers, and my Glock 20 will not set of but about 20% of them they are VERY hard primers. I will probably use them in my 44mag instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    I've fired S&B .45 for many years, never had any problem. Great ammo. I believe S&B is now owned by Magtech .
    I've fired hundreds of 12G rounds thru my shotguns over the years, many of which were S&B 12G. Never had a problem. Back when I was a member of WAC and I got down to Monroe for their shows I was always on the make for S&B 12G ammo. I've shot 0,00,000, BB, #4Buck and Slugs in my Mossy 500 and never had nary a problem.
    Best part was it was cheap. I usedta could get 25R boxes $10 per. I bought all my truck could carry. I still would if I could get it for $10 for 25R.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I had issues with SB ammo through my LC9. No issues with it in my beretta px4 subcompact, or the Glocks I've tried. Looked like light strikes and I've never had a problem with any other ammo through the same gun.

I gave a friend of mine a box of S and B .38 special rounds to fire out of his colt detective special, and he had multiple ftf problems. I shot the rest of the same box out of my Smith 586, and had no issues. I believe the colt had an exceptionally lightened up trigger. I believe this could happen depending on the firearm and the type of S and B being used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links