Sellier & Bellot Ammo - Hard Primers - Have You Had Problems?

This is a discussion on Sellier & Bellot Ammo - Hard Primers - Have You Had Problems? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the weekend, I went to the TDI Handgun 1-3 course, a 3 day course with lots of practical applications to everyday carry and life ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sellier & Bellot Ammo - Hard Primers - Have You Had Problems?

VIP Member

Over the weekend, I went to the TDI Handgun 1-3 course, a 3 day course with lots of practical applications to everyday carry and life in general. JD has done an excellent overview on the course, so I will not elaborate further on that.

In preparation for the course, I purchased 2K rounds of Sellier & Bellot .45 ACP. I took my Taurus PT-145 Mil. Pro for the weekend and planned to shoot it all weekend. Being a practical person, I also took my G21 and SA Loaded 5” 1911 – just in case. After we did some dry fire practice with roped guns, we finally got to the line for live fire.

I loaded up my Taurus and it would not fire a round, there were light to non-existent marks on the primers of the S&B rounds. I switched to my G21 which fired the rounds without a problem. After day 1 of the class, I stuck a pencil in the barrel and pulled the trigger (yes I was in a safe location and had proven the weapon clear prior to this). The pencil shot 5-6 feet up in the air.

I purchased 100 rounds of WWB and shot it the next morning in the Taurus and it all shot fine. I also shot some of my Golden Saber carry rounds and they shot fine. I then fired the S&B rounds in the SA Loaded and, while most fired, a few did not.

This all led me to conclude that the S&B ammo has harder primers than either the WWB or the Golden Sabers. Additionally, because I have not had problems with my reloaded ammo, the S&B primers must be harder than those as well.

I will not purchase any more S&B ammo based on this experience, but the brass will reload fine. Have any of you all had issues with S&B primers – in any caliber – and what weapon(s) would not reliably fire them? I appreciate any input y’all have.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I just, within the last week or two, shot up 400rds of S&B 9mm out of 1000 that I just bought from Cabela's. They were fired out of my 92FS's without a single problem. I have in the past also shot both 9mm and 7.62x39 S&B without problem. I don't recall firing any S&B .45ACP.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have fired thousands of rounds of S&B in 9mm through my SR9c, LC9 and both of my 9mm SP101s without any primer issues.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You may want to drop a few into a case gauge, or measure with a caliper. Short overall (case) length will mimic hard primers. Just a thought.

Terry

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I use them fairly regularly and never have a problem. Could it be the thick lacquer they seal the primer with is adding a bit to the problem?
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I have shot hundreds of S&B 9mm with no problems out of my Walther P99.

Never had a problem with Sellior & Belloit and have used it consistently in about 4 different calibers, although not .45 cal.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

We sell it at the range and haven't seen any noticeable problems with it. I have a few cases stockpiled because it was generally a good reliable performer, was cheap, and was sealed well.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I've fired S&B .45 for many years, never had any problem. Great ammo. I believe S&B is now owned by Magtech .

I have over 1200 rounds of this stuff out of my Walther PPS and never a problem. I love this stuff. it is cheap (got some for $9.50 a box) feeds flawlessly, and is quite accurate.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I view light primer strikes as a weapons issue, not an ammo issue. Having said that, I've never had a problem with S&B in my CZ-82.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I view light primer strikes as a weapons issue, not an ammo issue. Having said that, I've never had a problem with S&B in my CZ-82.
    I woud normally agree with you, but having two different weapons have problems with the S&B ammo that have not had problems with other ammo and both have over 2K rounds through them it sounds like an ammo issue. It is interesting that your CZ and my Glock are both European in origin. I wonder if the Euro guns are engineered for tougher primers.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I was doing my morning read in the library today and I had a "concealed carry" gun magazine with a review in it that mentioned that S&B ammo wouldn't function in the test gun. Light primer hits on that ammo. The author discontinued testing with the S&B, but other ammo worked in the gun (and now I forget what gun it was).

I have a bunch of 9mm stockpiled and never had issues, the 115gr even shoots good in my Uzi. We use it on the range, too. I hope there's just a bad lot or two out there, but I doubt if I'll stockpile that brand anymore.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have shot maybe 400-500 rounds through my Glocks and HK's, never an issue. A very accurate FMJ practice round.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I was doing my morning read in the library today and I had a "concealed carry" gun magazine with a review in it that mentioned that S&B ammo wouldn't function in the test gun. Light primer hits on that ammo. The author discontinued testing with the S&B, but other ammo worked in the gun (and now I forget what gun it was).

I have a bunch of 9mm stockpiled and never had issues, the 115gr even shoots good in my Uzi. We use it on the range, too. I hope there's just a bad lot or two out there, but I doubt if I'll stockpile that brand anymore.
    Perhaps S&B did turn out a batch with harder primers that had issues, and no doubt it became internet legend that all S&B ammo has hard primers. Again, it may be more of an issue of some gun makes having lighter firing pins/strikers or springs that just doesn't work well with harder primers. Who knows...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links