Problem with Speer Gold Dot

This is a discussion on Problem with Speer Gold Dot within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range today. Unloaded my G33 mag that was full of Speer .357 Sig Gold Dots. Two bullets were pushed down into the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda66

Thread: Problem with Speer Gold Dot

Went to the range today. Unloaded my G33 mag that was full of Speer .357 Sig Gold Dots. Two bullets were pushed down into the case and were loose, I could spin them in the case.

Has anyone had issues with these? What would be the cause? Gun or mags have never been dropped.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Went to the range today. Unloaded my G33 mag that was full of Speer .357 Sig Gold Dots. Two bullets were pushed down into the case and were loose, I could spin them in the case.

Has anyone had issues with these? What would be the cause? Gun or mags have never been dropped.

The two reasons that come to my mind are, (1) repeated chambering of said rounds by the user, or (2) a bad lot of ammunition.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but those two are the most likely culprits.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Ok, thanks. Makes sense since I keep those loaded in the gun then unload them every week to use target ammo. Maybe I should used a dedicated mag or two for the range and keep these in my carry mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Ok, thanks. Makes sense since I keep those loaded in the gun then unload them every week to use target ammo. Maybe I should used a dedicated mag or two for the range and keep these in my carry mag?

When I go to the range, I remove the mag from my G19, and I fire the round in the chamber. Any round that I chamber more than twice gets dumped from my carry mags, and I put it in with my practice ammo. Nothing could possibly be worse in a SD situation than having a malfunction on the first shot due to a misfire from repeated chambering of the same round.

Also, I keep two mags as dedicated carry mags, and I use the rest (5 mags) for training.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

.357 Sig, having very little neck to hold the bullet, has a track record of setback or even the bullet being pulled out of the case with chambering/ejecting too many times.

I wouldn't chamber any given round very many times.
    357and40 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    .357 Sig, having very little neck to hold the bullet, has a track record of setback or even the bullet being pulled out of the case with chambering/ejecting too many times.

I wouldn't chamber any given round very many times.
    Care to back this "track record" up?

The best I can give you now is:

Area PD uses G31's as duty pistols. Had a couple of issues of setback, and one of the bullet being pulled out--that is, staying in the bore, powder spilling down the magazine when ejected. According to Glock, it was too many chamberings of the round.

Take a look at a .357 sig cartridge...there isn't very much neck there to hold the bullet tight. This is a known issue.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I've pondered this and am wondering if hand feeding the first round into the chamber, magazine out, dropping the slide and then inserting the mag would cause any issues.

This way the round in question wont have to ride the slide or feed ramp.

posted via tapatalk using android.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.W.Dale View Post
    I've pondered this and am wondering if hand feeding the first round into the chamber, magazine out, dropping the slide and then inserting the mag would cause any issues.

This way the round in question wont have to ride the slide or feed ramp.

posted via tapatalk using android.
    Be careful with this, it causes sever strain on the ejector by forcing it out around the rim of the casing. the ejector typically does not "flex" out that far, when the round is pulled from the mag during the return trip of the slide, the rim raises up to the ejector from below.

I agree with the reduced kneck not being able to hold the bullet, I have some .400 Corbon rounds that are simular to the .357 Sig, it's a 45 casing knecked down to a .40 bullet. very small kneck, It also makes reloading very tricky too.
    Last edited by 4my sons; October 21st, 2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: fat fingers on the keyboard
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Had these rounds been chambered in the weapon or where they just setting in the mag? If you are unloading your mag by hand and not cycling the rounds through the gun there is no way that the bullets should be moving. If you are having bullets work loose while setting in the mag then you have some real issues with the combination you are carrying.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    The best I can give you now is:

Area PD uses G31's as duty pistols. Had a couple of issues of setback, and one of the bullet being pulled out--that is, staying in the bore, powder spilling down the magazine when ejected. According to Glock, it was too many chamberings of the round.

Take a look at a .357 sig cartridge...there isn't very much neck there to hold the bullet tight. This is a known issue.
    I have been a 357sig shooter for over ten years and never had a issue. Lucky? I don't think so. The possibility of setback is real in every caliber. More so in 357 sig? I don't think so. It's a bottle necked round and should be easier to feed than a straight walled cartridge. You're poking a .355 bullet into a .40 caliber hole.

In the begining there were some rounds that were more prone to setback but more modern loading steps have solved the problems of the past.

That's exactly what I would expect glock to say. Can't be the gun...

Sponsored Links