Settling the 9mm "124 gr. vs 147 gr." Debate

This is a discussion on Settling the 9mm "124 gr. vs 147 gr." Debate within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm glad that's settled. When they take my 45 away, I'll be perfectly happy with any flavor 9. I have seen some impressive results with ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Settling the 9mm "124 gr. vs 147 gr." Debate

VIP Member
    I'm glad that's settled.

When they take my 45 away, I'll be perfectly happy with any flavor 9. I have seen some impressive results with +p DPX.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2. Remove Ads

Settled..

hah hah
    Yoda, I am, yes.

The first one with the gun out wins. Some gangbanger pulls out a nine shot HR 22 revolver, and he starts shooting - you will be ducking and dancing. Your situational awareness and a gun that doesn't jam are your best friends.
    mrwonderful likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Has anyone noticed that any thread on a gun forum whose title proposes "settling" a long-running debate inevitably turns into a 40-page monstrosity... continuing that debate?
    Hakkaa päälle!

It's settled for me. There are no downsides to heavier.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It's settled for me. There are no downsides to heavier.
    Me too. I was tickled pink when the 147 grain loads hit the market. We're making a road trip this Easter weekend and the Hi-Power stoked with 147 grain loads may just be the car gun in the door pocket. What's not to like about .38 Special +P 158 grain performance X 13?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Me too. I was tickled pink when the 147 grain loads hit the market. We're making a road trip this Easter weekend and the Hi-Power stoked with 147 grain loads may just be the car gun in the door pocket. What's not to like about .38 Special +P 158 grain performance X 13?
    Hi-Power huh? Certainly are doing it with class. What's funny about that to me Bryan, is I too use the pocket compartment in the car door for the " car gun".

That made me think about Erich's " The Danged Load" thread, lol.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

All I can do is tell you of my experience of years of using the horrid" 147 grain round both federal hollow points and federal hydroshock hollow points. It SUCKS..Sure it penetrates but the round doesn't expand as it should. I've seen it used on both suspect and when drug dealing thugs sick their pit bulls fighting dogs on us Police..Everything changed when we wen't to 40sw and eventually finally the 45acp...I like 9mm fine...just in a 115grain or 124grain round...
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

No matter. I don't use the Federal loads. I still have quantities of the "fearsome" Winchester Black Talons on hand. I like the weight. Any expansion is just gravy. I've used them on a few on critters smaller than pit bulls and they expired "right on cue" with good hits." Some expansion was noted because of the exit holes too.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Federal HST 147
    Last edited by Rossiman; April 6th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Foo909 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I will be posting a series of videos on my youtube channel this summer regarding balistics. I will be doing more than just the typical "shoot into water jugs" testing.
    I will be testing in the following situations:

shooting JHP through car doors and into balstic media
    shooting JHP through Pylwood and into balstic media
    shooting JHP through Drywall and into balstic media
    shooting JHP through car windows and into balstic media

If you want your round tested feel free to post message me and we can work something out. I don't have the means to buy all the common hand gun rounds on the market to test them. I have the means to test every round except the .357sig.

I would love to test some Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Duty/Critical Defense, Federal, Winchester, Etc. Post message me. for more details or suggestions.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

This debate was settled long ago for me. Thirteen 115g Gold dots at +P pressures and 1252fps are stacked in the 15-round mags for my 9mm.

As to "wear and tear" of the +P's, I don't shoot it enough to matter - it will outlast me.
    Coyote Hunter
    NRA Life, GOA, DAD -- and I VOTE!

1 shot between the eyes...you pick the caliber and then tell me the results! Bet it has nothing to do with grains of bullet. Everyone will be blowing their hormone horns about ..."what a shot I had". Soon we'll all read that the perp was hit with a .177 pellet and the shooter ultimately beat him senseless with a brick found lying nearby.

Too many years listening too this BS makes me numb....
    ...T. Ray

+1 for the 147s. Even if the bullet "fails" as some ballisticians will say, (does not expand) its still driving deeper and breaking more IMO. Expansion is an added benefit, and when GS 147s expand they are NASTY! My own recovered 147 GS violently turned themselves inside out, with the pedals curling back around the base of the bullet.

In the end that's just my choice but all 9mm defensive loads will work and I would feel fine toting any of them, but if I'm paying then its 147. If not available on the shelf 124 will do fine, but no +P, I love my guns too much!

Besides let's not forget the real reason most of us choose 9mm, it's not one shot stops, it's that there are MANY more where that first one came from! (17+1 rounds as fast as possible)

"17+1 rounds as fast as possible"

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    Besides let's not forget the real reason most of us choose 9mm, it's not one shot stops, it's that there are MANY more where that first one came from! (17+1 rounds as fast as possible)
    ^ I registered just to agree with this statement. ^

My XD-S 45 ACP is for self defense (CC).
    My XD(m) 9mm is for home defense.
    I haven't really settled on a "best round" for either, and probably never will, despite having just read the previous 5 pages of this thread (and many others like it).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links