Blue Dot powder for 45 ACP

This is a discussion on Blue Dot powder for 45 ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question about using BLUE DOT powder on 45 ACP, 230 RN. I have been reading a lot of forums & donít see ...

Thread: Blue Dot powder for 45 ACP

Blue Dot powder for 45 ACP

I have a question about using BLUE DOT powder on 45 ACP, 230 RN. I have been reading a lot of forums & donít see anyone using BLUE DOT Powder on 45 ACP ammo. In the late 80ís to early 90ís I loaded my ammo for my S&W 669 9mm using a LEE turret press & BLUE DOT. I loaded everything from very light loads to compression loads with never a problem.
    I sold all my guns & equipment in 1992 to make my ex happy, I should have told her to walk. I have decided I miss it and am starting all over again. I bought a few handguns & am buying another LEE turret press. It has been awhile so I am researching first which I do on everything I can & donít see anything on BLUE DOT. I would like all the good opinions I can get on BLUE DOT & other powders for the 45 ACP.
    I do most of my shooting with my main carry gun, a Ruger P90 45 ACP. I also have a Hi-Point JHP 45 ACP. Both guns are heavy, solid guns that shoot great using all loads including +P with never a FTF Ė FTF.
    I will eventually be loading HP & others also.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you can't find loading data for a particular powder, especially on the manufacturer's website, there's probably a good reason. What powders may be suitable for small capacity cases may not work well--or be dangerous--in larger case capacities, and vice-versa. I used Blue Dot in my .41 Magnum loads prior to it becoming taboo. Never had an incident, loved its perfcormance, but if the maker says not to use anymore, I'll take their word.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I loaded a lot of .41 Magnum with BD before the warning letter came out. I found it to be a great powder.

I recently got a 10mm and have been using BD for it with good results.

I personally think BD is a little slow for a low pressure round like the .45. It will work but I would expect a lot of soot and unburned powder flakes.

Clays and W231 are good powders for the .45acp. Clays may be a tad better but I use W231 as it will work well in 9mm and .38spl, two rounds I load and shoot a good bit of. I can buy a big jug and load for three calibers.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    It doesn't work that well with .45acp. I have used it in the past but it is dirty. I use bullseye now.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

About 30 years ago, I chased the "high speed" .45 ACP bandwagon. Supersonic 200 grain speers (flying ashtrays). Hard on the ears, and harder on the gun (GM Colt). Lost interest in a hurry, real dirty, belled brass, and overall "No redeeming value". Not worthy of pursuit, on any level, let the .45 work in it's normal pressure zone and all is well. Light loads in .45 ACP with BlueDot are subject to "detonation", similar to H110 or WW296 (same powder) when improperly dosed/restrained. Bullseye,231,TightGroup, or similar speed will get you anything you need in a .45 ACP, with any bullet.

Load safe,
    Terry

I loaded with Blue Dot in bygone times and thought it worked well in straight-walled magnum revolver cartridges. I tried it in heavy .38 Special and .45 ACP handloads and wasn't all that impressed. I didn't even save the data so it must have been bad.

For me, Unique is the last word for general purpose to heavy high-velocity .45 ACP loads and sees most use. Only a powder puff target load using 185-200 grain lead SWCs sees Bulls-Eye used. This holds true for both my .45 automatics and my .45 ACP revolvers.
    ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I been using either Unique or Amer-Select for most of my pistol loads,for 200 grn LRN I use 4.0 grns Amer- Select,for 230 lrn 4.5 grns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thank everyone for your comments. It have been many years since I reloaded & I am looking forward to getting at it again. My LEE turret press & carbide 45 dies arrived yesterday. I am setting it up as I speak & the dies came with a good amount of specs & powder recommendations. I am surprised to see 9.2 gr. of BLUE DOT is recommended on 200 Grain XTP bullets. It is the only place I see it though. I think I will try W231 as it has specs for it on all bullet types & everything I have read & heard about it is good.. Eventually trying TITEGROUP, clays & a few others. THANKS AGAIN!

Hi Nitefire1;

You can't go wrong with W231 and it will yield more loads per pound than the Blue Dot. If you have a quantity of Blue Dot on hand then it would be worthwhile to develop a load for it.
    ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Blue Dot will work but it is not the most efficient powder there is for a .45.
    I used to use a lot of it when I started loading for pistols and revolvers because it is pretty versatile.

I eventually graduated to Unique and Bullseye but quit them because they smoked alot and they were filthy to shoot. A couple of hundred rounds would have a .45 Colt malfunctioning and your hands turning black from the soot.

I settled on Accurate Arms No. 5, a powder that would work for most calibers and was very clean to shoot. For medium loads and cast bullets, the difference in the cleanliness of the gun after being shot a lot was a phenomenal compared to anything else.

I still use AA5 alot today.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I've noticed the newer reloading manuals are a bit tamer than those from the early '70's when I started. There have been a lot of new powders developed, but I have large quantities of Bullseye for light target loads, Unique for moderate range work, and HS6 for +P 45 XTP's. For the magnums, Unique works well for light to moderate loads, and I use WW296 and H110 for the heavy stuff. I save Blue Dot for magnum shot shells, but 4576 works well for my 12ga slugs. My experiments with powders for accuracy and velocity are confined to the rifle calibers, but for the 45, you'll get great results with most medium burning offerings. Welcome back to the "roll your own" fraternity.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I'm new to reloading this year, cutting my teeth on .45 ACP since that's what I shoot most. I looked at the range of powders available and settled on TiteGroup, and so far there's nothing driving me away from it. It's economical both from price per pound as well as required charge (5 grains, plus or minus), and a pleasant surprise is that my very own handloads are more accurate than factory ball.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Unique, red dot, green dot, PB, 231, are all good choices for the 45. Blue dot was always used by me for 38 357 mag, 41, 44 mag cals...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Well if you want to max a .45 or .357 mag Blue dot will take you there. I used 8.6 gr with the 230 fmj for years as a match to mill spec hard ball and it was very accurate. However today I use AA#5 and WW Power Pistol to greater and much cleaner affect than Blue Dot. As an aside if you want to use Blue Dot you can get it to burn clean by using heavy bullets and as much crimp as you can.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Links