357 SIG Gold Dot question

This is a discussion on 357 SIG Gold Dot question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered some Gold Dot ammo from my local guy. They came in, and man, are they shallow. The hollowpoint cavity is shallower than anything ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZ Hawk

Thread: 357 SIG Gold Dot question

357 SIG Gold Dot question

I ordered some Gold Dot ammo from my local guy. They came in, and man, are they shallow. The hollowpoint cavity is shallower than anything I have ever seen. Is this normal for the 357 SIG Gold Dot?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I ordered some Gold Dot ammo from my local guy. They came in, and man, are they shallow. The hollowpoint cavity is shallower than anything I have ever seen. Is this normal for the 357 SIG Gold Dot?
    Do they look like the ones in this video?

The .357 SIG 125 gr. Gold Dot should be shallower than the 9mm 124 gr. +P Gold Dot since the velocity has been cranked up about 150 fps. If they used the same bullet design, it's probable that the "petals" would shear off due to overexpansion. Basically, the expanded petals of the 124 gr. Gold Dot would not be able to handle the extra stress placed on them by the increased energy and velocity as the faster a hollow point bullet goes, the more violent the expansion will be.

Now I have no idea whether or not that would actually happen, but Speer must have changed the Gold Dot design for a pretty darn good reason.
    Cuda66 likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

AZ Hawk nailed it.

If you ever pick up some .357 magnum Gold Dots, you'll also notice that they have more of a "pie plate" depression, not a shot glass...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Links