Buffalo Bore .38+P 158gr LSWCHP

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore .38+P 158gr LSWCHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought myself a j-frame. Looking for a good round to carry. People seem to be pretty into this Buffalo Bore stuff. My question is, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Buffalo Bore .38+P 158gr LSWCHP

Just bought myself a j-frame. Looking for a good round to carry. People seem to be pretty into this Buffalo Bore stuff. My question is, this j-frame is a .38+P, but the ballistics of the BB .38+P round sounds more like a .357mag. 1000fps out of a 1 7/8" barrel. Yikes. Is that safe in a .38+P gun? Buffalo Bore says it is. I know it won't be very fun that's for sure.

Heavy .38 Special +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

I'm just looking for a decent 158gr +P load and I constantly come across this specific round.

I love to read about the hot Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore loads, but until they get some actual track record on the street for taking down hostile targets, I'm sticking with stuff that does. My snubs are loaded with Federal +P 158 LSWCHP, with +P 125 gr JHP in speed strips and speed loaders for reloads. The all-lead bullet noses get beat up over time when carried in a pocket, hence the JHPs.
    Taurahe and OlCop like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Just bought myself a j-frame. Looking for a good round to carry. People seem to be pretty into this Buffalo Bore stuff. My question is, this j-frame is a .38+P, but the ballistics of the BB .38+P round sounds more like a .357mag. 1000fps out of a 1 7/8" barrel. Yikes. Is that safe in a .38+P gun? Buffalo Bore says it is. I know it won't be very fun that's for sure.

Heavy .38 Special +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

I'm just looking for a decent 158gr +P load and I constantly come across this specific round.
    I honestly have no idea as I'm not much of a revolver guy, but I do know that Dr. Roberts recommends the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. +P specifically designed for snubnose guns based on the FBI testing protocol.

See here: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Scroll up a bit to .38 Special.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    until they get some actual track record on the street for taking down hostile targets, I'm sticking with stuff that does.
    I like Buffalo Bore's 38 Special wadcutter. Nothing says "street record" like a flat-faced lead bullet.

snubbie's stretch out pretty easy...IMO BuffoloBore is a lottery... $.02

I run the BB 158gr standard pressure stuff myself. Here's a youtube video on the load that I carry. This won't settle the debate for sure, but it might give you some idea of what the standard pressure 158gr round is capable of. Buffalo Bore .38 Special 158 gr Semiwadcutter Ammo test - YouTube
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

after doing quite a bit of research on which load to carry in my LCR,settled on the Speer Gold Dot 38+p,135 gr.short barell.has good expansion and penetration even from a snubby..

Speer Gold Dot .38 Special +P 135 gr Ammo test - YouTube
    Last edited by crue2009; October 27th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.

There is really no need to use nitro swc rounds. The standard pressure loads will work just fine. However, if one wishes to spend big money, then go for it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I think I may go with the BB 158gr standard pressure. Only because the standard pressure is on par with other brands +P's, and I've read that the +P BB ammo is quite a handful. I want to be able to hit the target.

I can't find 135gr +P Gold Dots anywhere.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I have more experience with the Gold Dot. I'm not sure how much of the original weight a Buffalo Bore bullet will remain after hitting a target.

I load it in my 4 inch S&W 620. More like a low end 357 and very controllable in my 39 oz gun!
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    I like Buffalo Bore's 38 Special wadcutter. Nothing says "street record" like a flat-faced lead bullet.
    That's what I load my Model 36 with......

I also use BB standard pressure for my .642 an use their .357 in my Mod 60 or the SP

Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I used that LSWCHP load from BB many times....but I will tell you....in a J-frame....they really sting...I had a Model 36....which is a few
    more ounces heavier than a 642 etc...and it still hurt...you might be better off with the WC load or a standard pressure load.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links