.40 SW practice ammo

.40 SW practice ammo

This is a discussion on .40 SW practice ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im curious if it makes a difference on the way you handle gun if you practice with 180 grn FMJ reloads ,but use Speer Gold ...

Thread: .40 SW practice ammo

.40 SW practice ammo

im curious if it makes a difference on the way you handle gun if you practice with 180 grn FMJ reloads ,but use Speer Gold Dot 165gr. Hollow Point Ammo. as your carry ammo? Can someone clarify whether this effects your aim , I mean obviously FMJ is heavier and since you are shooting lots of it ( i shoot any where from 500-1000 rounds practicing) , it just seems that maybe I should be using a "carry " round closer in weight, I dont know , any of you ballistics guys wann elaborate?

It depends on the charge of powder. A heavier bullet driven to almost the velocity of a lighter one will have a little more felt recoil.

However, I do not think it will be enough to really notice. And shooting the lighter bullet will be that much easier.
    This is a question asked frequently, in one way or the other. Some people want to know about POI differences.

The point of impact will be higher with a heavy bullet, but probably not really noticeable at combat pistol range.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks ,I was curious because I practice with both my Glock 22 and my SW SD40 , both guns have reloads for practice both in 180grn FMJ , but the Glock has the Speer Gold Dot 165gr. Hollow Point Ammo and the SD has S&W Hornady Critical Defense 165gr Hollow Point Ammo , I suppose switching them up wouldnt matter much , but anyway , I appreciate the advice!

VIP Member
    Try it with a few rnds and see.

Practice with the same weight you carry especially with .40 S&W as 180 gr. feels TOTALLY different than 165 gr. and 155 gr.

Next time you go to the range, stagger 180 gr. and 165 gr. rounds and you will most definitely notice the difference. Hell, I carry a 9mm, and there's even quite a bit of difference between my carry load (Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P) and standard pressure 115 gr. FMJ practice/target ammo. Because of this I practice with 124 gr. NATO or +P FMJ ammo as it's more similar to my carry load.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

yea I was thinking that exactly theres got to be a bigger difference that 180 grn compared to the 165 , I can feel it , between the mags even! I was wondering though , the 180grn is alot cheaper ammo , not sure if I can get a happy medium , like 175 ?

Quote Originally Posted by 5thMarines View Post
    yea I was thinking that exactly theres got to be a bigger difference that 180 grn compared to the 165 , I can feel it , between the mags even! I was wondering though , the 180grn is alot cheaper ammo , not sure if I can get a happy medium , like 175 ?
    Nope. The standard .40 S&W weights are 155 gr., 165 gr. and 180 gr.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Maybe it's just me, but I don't even notice recoil anymore.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

no its nots you , I dont feel recoil on my .40 , after years of shooting .45 acp (10,000+) the .40 really doesnt feel any different , I suppose if youve been shooting 22's or 9's you might notice the difference!

Sponsored Links