If you had to rely on one bullet...

This is a discussion on If you had to rely on one bullet... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my 38 Special derringer most of the time. It's as reliable as a brick and it's (most importantly) convenient for me. I currently ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: If you had to rely on one bullet...

If you had to rely on one bullet...

I carry my 38 Special derringer most of the time.
    It's as reliable as a brick and it's (most importantly) convenient for me.
    I currently carry Buffalo Bore wadcutters in it, amazing penetration (but also amazing recoil).
    I've been thinking of changing the load since my wetpack test shows that the wadcutters penetrate almost too well out of a 1 6/8 barrel w/ no cylinder gap.
    So the question sits: if you had to rely on one shot from a belly gun, what would it be?

Don't tell me I need to get a revolver (because i do), I don't have the time right now.

2. Remove Ads

Honestly. You say you don't have the time right now, but you ask, "if you had to rely on one shot from a belly gun, what would it be?" as if you are considering a switch to a different belly gun. If so, why "not" switch to a revolver? It takes no more time than switching to another belly gun. There are a lot of better options out there than a single shot belly gun.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Maybe you could try something like the Glasers? Not most people's favorite round, but I would trust it. Or, maybe a Federal Hydra-Shok?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Hornady Critical Defense. If thought of collateral bystander damage, Glaser Safety or Magsafe rounds. Federal ammo is very good, but have hard primers that small guns sometimes have problems igniting.

Stay away from Glasers and designer garbage. I assume you are using +p swc from BB. Just scale it down to normal pressure loads. Better too much then not enough. Especially with a derringer.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I thought derringers could hold and fire 2 rounds. At least all of the ones I've seen do.

Still, if size were a consideration, I'd go with one of those tiny NorthAmerican Arms revolvers that are super tiny.

For me, given the choice of several small rounds or one really big one, I'd take the several small ones... even if they were 22 Shorts.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Honestly. You say you don't have the time right now, but you ask, "if you had to rely on one shot from a belly gun, what would it be?" as if you are considering a switch to a different belly gun. If so, why "not" switch to a revolver? It takes no more time than switching to another belly gun. There are a lot of better options out there than a single shot belly gun.
    Because I won't carry a gun that I haven't actually had training with. That means yes, I have trained with the derringer with pocket draw to point shooting.
    Could have I bought a revolver back than, no.

I've done plenty of testing to say that the Glaser/Magsafe bullets are not worth it for social work, but they do have their place for other reasons such as animal control.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I thought derringers could hold and fire 2 rounds.
    Mine does, but lets be honest. Your only going to get one shot off in a scuffle. The second shot is just a backupe

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I thought derringers could hold and fire 2 rounds. At least all of the ones I've seen do.

Still, if size were a consideration, I'd go with one of those tiny NorthAmerican Arms revolvers that are super tiny.

For me, given the choice of several small rounds or one really big one, I'd take the several small ones... even if they were 22 Shorts.
    The original Philadelphia Deringer, made by Henry Deringer, was a single barrel. Today Cobray makes single barreled Derringer (the common misspelling of the original).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    So the question sits: if you had to rely on one shot from a belly gun
    I'd say I had made some poor choices to put myself into that situation. Are you honestly telling me that you are carrying a pistol with only one shot? And a .38 at that? So you "hope" it proves adequate. Well, I hate to say it, but hope is not a good strategy.

VIP Member
    You really box us in with a question like that. It's analogous to saying "I carry a slingshot - tell me what is the best pebble to use for that one shot".

The fact is, it really doesn't matter that much. You'll have to make that one shot count - and if that doesn't do it, things are gonna get primal.

In the context of your question, I'd say stick with the wadcutters. You're already familiar with them, and they'll certainly make a hole.

"Second shot is only a backup"?? If you're carrying a two-holer, then remember the more effective boxing technique of a left-right combination being more "up front" effective than a single punch. Since you never know what may or may not be most effective under any particular set of circumstances, load each hole with a completely different type round and give 'em both barrels in rapid succession as a left-right combo. When limited by only two punches, give 'em both then run like hell.

VIP Member
    45 long colt

I'd like to also say, whatever bullet you choose, aim for (and pray you hit) the dude in the face.

Give the dude a break!!!!,this may be his only carry option,not everyone has expindable finances,and this may be his carry option,he ask a simple answer,and almost everyone wants to turn it into a rag about his gun.A lot of the officers on our force carry the 442 with corbon dpx,don't know the grain ,I carrie 2 G27's as B-UP.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I carry Speer Gold Dot Law Enforcement in my snubby. It was engineered for performance from short barrels. $30 bucks for 50 rounds. No complaints.
    SPEER LE 135gr + P 38 Special GDHP (OUT OF STOCK) at G&R Tactical
    Just my $.02 cent opinion.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links