Is 115 grain 9mm ammo for self-defense becoming obsolete?

This is a discussion on Is 115 grain 9mm ammo for self-defense becoming obsolete? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like 124 or 147 grain ammo is the most popular for 9mm on this site. It also seems like most law enforcement agencies ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Is 115 grain 9mm ammo for self-defense becoming obsolete?

Is 115 grain 9mm ammo for self-defense becoming obsolete?

It seems like 124 or 147 grain ammo is the most popular for 9mm on this site. It also seems like most law enforcement agencies who still carry a 9mm are using the heavier bullets, ex. NYPD uses 124 grain +p as their carry ammo. Is the 115 grain bullet the reason many law enforcement agencies abandoned the 9mm to go to the heavier .40 or ..45 caliber? Are the newer 115 grain bullets any good? Anyone carry 115 grain for self-defense and if so, why? Alot of questions but I am carrying 124 grain hollowpoints because heavier 9mm seems to be the trend.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I carry 115 in some guns.No reason other than it is cheap.Certainly this topic will have a variety of opinions.Like any caliber,shot placement is king.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

The heavier bullets seem to have better penetration, which I remember reading about in FBI tests conducted in the late 90's. Many people on this site (glockman10mm comes to mind) feel that this is pretty important. But some of those lighter bullets in +p+ go really fast, and kinetic energy= 1/2mv^2. 115 g bullet has a mass of 0.00744kg and lets just say it goes 1300 fps (roughly a CorBon jhp +p) which equals 396 meters per second. KE=583 joules. 147 g bullet => 0.0095 kg and a Golden Saber jhp goes 950 fps => 289 mps, so KE= 398 joules.

So the lighter bullets are hitting with more energy. That energy goes somewhere.

I don't really study bullet performance and this was just back of the napkin type calculation. Take it for what it's worth.

Energy may not be the best way to analyze this, but it seems to make sense to me.

My wife carries 115gr Gold Dot in her Glock because it shot the best of all the many loads we tried in it. Some people here are huge fans of the DPX, which is 115gr in 9mm (even though its all copper). There is at least one local agency I'm familiar with that uses a 115gr +P+ load, and I have a carbine and my dedicated HD Glock loaded with the impressive Cor Bon JHP+P load. Some people swear by 147gr, some 124. Nothing will ever make 9mm shooters agree.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I carry Ranger T series 124+p in 9mm because that is what was being offered and I believe will get the job done,but I would carry 115 grain 9mm if that was all that was available,Most people will tell you to carry what you shoot the best and functions well in your firearm
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I prefer the heaviest loading in every caliber except the 357 mag with 4 inch tube. Above all things, I desire penetration cause it's the only thing that you can't do without.

Energy transfer, or so called " shocking power" is to a handgun what Zeus and Hercules are to Greek mythology.
    gottabkiddin and Bullet1234 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Hornady Critical Defense is 115gr. I bought some for testing and it is currently in my carry gun. My favorite 115gr round is Cor Bon DPX 115+p. That little round will do ya just fine.

I promise you there is no difference in 115gr or 124 grain bullets. 9 grains is such a miniscule weight. I think faster is better in 9mm (in .45 I like the 230gr) so I go 115gr. The Gold Dot 115 +P+ is also a choice.

All that said, the Gold Dot 124+p is renowned and street proven by plenty of agencies, including NYPD. And it is fairly inexpensive (compared to Cor Bon anyways).

I alternate rounds in my magazines. Right now I've got Hornady Critical defense (115gr) stacked with Hornady FPD TAP 124gr and Gold Dot 124+p in two mags. Magtech Guardian gold 124 and some 115gr FMJ that was leftover from emptying a different mag. (that mag is a backup, though, that I haven't fired yet. It's prolly going to the range this weekend. It is a 10 rd restricted G17 mag that I bought used, not realizing that it was restricted. It's pretty ridiculous to have a 10 rd G17 mag in a G26.... but it was only $11, so it's good for the range... or zombies)

I'm probably going to switch to just Gold Dot 124+p once I work my way through the rest of my SD ammo. I really like the Hornady TAP, but it's more expensive and supposedly expands less reliably than the GD.

sgb
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

9mm

* Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
    * Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
    * Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    * Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
    * Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    * Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    * Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
    * Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    * Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    * Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
    * Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
    * Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

You might notice that the list does NOT include any lightweight bullets with the exception of the Barnes 115gr version. The reason - especially if you've read the beginning of this article - should be clear already, but Doctor Roberts sums it up nicely as well: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm’s, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"
    Guest1 and AZ Hawk like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I prefer the heaviest loading in every caliber except the 357 mag with 4 inch tube. Above all things, I desire penetration cause it's the only thing that you can't do without.

Energy transfer, or so called " shocking power" is to a handgun what Zeus and Hercules are to Greek mythology.
    Unless you have over penetration, with no expansion, as with small fmj stuff. Then its probably better to have 11 to 13" penetration and larger wound channel. I will duck and cover now...
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

More energy=larger temporary&lasting wound cavity,like you would get from a 124+p round.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post
    Unless you have over penetration, with no expansion, as with small fmj stuff. Then its probably better to have 11 to 13" penetration and larger wound channel. I will duck and cover now...
    I do what I do
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I use them because my CZ P-01 is more accurate with them.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post

You might notice that the list does NOT include any lightweight bullets with the exception of the Barnes 115gr version. The reason - especially if you've read the beginning of this article - should be clear already, but Doctor Roberts sums it up nicely as well: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm’s, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"
    This. ^

Besides, the speed/energy lovers should like the Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr. +P+ more than any other 9mm load since you are getting more energy and greater penetration potential than a 115 gr. bullet.

Here's the specs:

Speer Gold Dot 115 gr. +P+ : 1,277 fps @ 416 ft-lbs KE (Glock 17)

Ranger-T 127 gr. +P+ : 1,250 fps @ 447 ft-lbs KE

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P: 1,235 fps @ 420 ft-lbs KE (Glock 17)

CorBon DPX 115 gr. +P: 1,250 fps @ 399 ft-lbs KE

Federal HST 147 gr.: 1,004 fps @ 330 ft-lbs KE (Glock 17)

(Gold Dot velocity taken from here: http://le.atk.com/pdf/GoldDotPoster.pdf).

(HST velocity: http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf )

(DPX and Ranger-T velocity taken from manufacturers: 9mm Luger Plus P 115gr DPX | COR®BON/Glaser Self Defense | Dakota Ammo and http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollec...law_bullit.swf )
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links