I'm a believer in 45 ACP FMJ for defense - Page 2

I'm a believer in 45 ACP FMJ for defense

This is a discussion on I'm a believer in 45 ACP FMJ for defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Thats was related to me during my hitch in the Corps by a few of the older senior " horse Marines". ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: I'm a believer in 45 ACP FMJ for defense

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thats was related to me during my hitch in the Corps by a few of the older senior " horse Marines".
    I never tried it myself, but I can see how it could happen.

The report was that the enemy was bundled up so well against the extreme cold that when hit with the 45 , you could hear an audible " puff" and they kept coming unfazed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Hard to believe unless on drugs. It should have at the very least knocked them down I'd think. Had to hurt even if it didn't penetrate.

IIRC it wasn't just the .45's they experienced this with, the M1 carbine (and maybe the garand, but not sure) also had issues getting through the heavy clothing being worn by the other side.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    IIRC it wasn't just the .45's they experienced this with, the M1 carbine (and maybe the garand, but not sure) also had issues getting through the heavy clothing being worn by the other side.
    Yeah, they did have problems with the little .30 Carbine.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I've long questioned the validity of the M1 Carbine's poor penetration in Korea. It always seemed to offer penetration all out of proportion to it's size in my experience.
    OD* and pistola like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

C. Living in the cold country half the time people are wearing very thick winter coats. FMJ rounds penetrate this type of clothing more reliably.

seriously?... show me a winter jacket that will stop a HP bullet?

I will stick with speer 200gr or 230gr JHP flying ashtrays, thank you very much.
    Fisher10 and Rockymonster like this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've long questioned the validity of the M1 Carbine's poor penetration in Korea. It always seemed to offer penetration all out of proportion to it's size in my experience.
    Appreantlly, more "war stories" than facts.
    pistola likes this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I agree. The 45 I could see a possibility of it getting slowed enough in fabric that was dense and thick, but not the carbine. Although I had not heard that one.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Wink M1 and M2 Carbines

My uncle who fought in Korea with the 24th Infantry Division,had great praise for the M1 and M2 carbines.He wore a C.I.B.,Purple Heart,and 5 Battle Stars. I have seen his personal photos of dead Chinese and North Koreans dressed in heavy winter uniforms.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    U.S. Army Veteran

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    My uncle who fought in Korea with the 24th Infantry Division,had great praise for the M1 and M2 carbines.He wore a C.I.B.,Purple Heart,and 5 Battle Stars. I have seen his personal photos of dead Chinese and North Koreans dressed in heavy winter uniforms.
    And that, IMO, would be an opinion with validity to it.
    pistola likes this.

A round that travels as slow as 230 grain is less likely to expand when traveling through thick/tough fabrics like denim, leather, winter coats, etc. Another reason why I would agree with you here is shooting through vehicles: if someone is shooting at you and taking cover behind a car door...one of my spare mags has fmj rounds in it for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    A round that travels as slow as 230 grain is less likely to expand when traveling through thick/tough fabrics like denim, leather, winter coats, etc. Another reason why I would agree with you here is shooting through vehicles: if someone is shooting at you and taking cover behind a car door...one of my spare mags has fmj rounds in it for that reason.
    The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #3 - Pistols and Car Doors

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    After all the .45 round is still a .45 whole,without expanding,most 9mm barely get close to half inch expanded.
    It's rare to find a premium 9mm JHP which expands under 0.5," even through heavy clothing. Hell, 9mm Federal HST can expand up to 0.9" according to their website.

P.S. The only medium which will regularly prevent a premium 9mm JHP from expanding over 0.5" is sheet metal.
    Last edited by AZ Hawk; October 27th, 2011 at 07:51 PM.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I'm starting to really enjoy the "Box O' Truth"
    baren likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thats was related to me during my hitch in the Corps by a few of the older senior " horse Marines".
    I never tried it myself, but I can see how it could happen.

The report was that the enemy was bundled up so well against the extreme cold that when hit with the 45 , you could hear an audible " puff" and they kept coming unfazed.
    Read the book "Breakout" about the Chosin Reservoir campaign. The book definitely quotes our troops as stating the .30 Carbine round was useless against the winter-clad ChiComs, whereas the .30-06 from the Garand had not such problems. I suspect the .45 ACP wouldn't fare much better than the Carbine round under the same conditions.

Off topic - "Breakout" is a great read, and showed how ill-prepared we were for war in the Korean winter. Great story, too, of how hundreds of thousands of ChiCom troops entered Korea under our noses.
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links