.40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads?

This is a discussion on .40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand that they are gonna be different , but how different is enough to notice , obviously "carry rounds" have a different potential than ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: .40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads?

I understand that they are gonna be different , but how different is enough to notice , obviously "carry rounds" have a different potential than practice rounds , the end result in a carry round is the bad guy is disable , the practice round is for aiming ,predicting , so if theres a significant change in weight and recoil then I want to know , if it isnt enough to worry about than oh well , most urban firefights are gonna happen less than 10 yards , so being able to predict is important , I want the same level when I need it as when Im practicing , also just for sidebar ,someone in another thread mentioned just shooting the fmj as a carry round , one great reason to carry a round like the Speer Dot is when it hits the target ,it mushrooms and loses significant velocity ,pretty much localizing the target , fmj could go right through , killing an innocent !

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't understand why you want to change in the first place. "The good stuff" is expensive and 165 gr. Gold Dots are a GREAT SD choice. If the Gold Dots run right in your gun then I say keep what you got.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What he's saying is that despite them having the same grain weight, two different loadings such as "FMJ for target use" and Premium JHPs may very well have different powder types / different "charges" and therefore different firing characteristics. In plainer English, firing a Winchester USA FMJ may not be the same ballistic equivalent to Winchester Ranger T or Federal HST of the same grain weight.
    Speer loads their Lawman target series (FMJ) to the same velocity that they do for their "combat" (JHP) loads for each bullet weight.
    Eric357 likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I carry winchester pdx 1 that's only because its easy to find. I would have no trouble carrying any of the major manufacturers. I have always been a big fan of heavy for caliber I personally cannot tell the difference between 165 180 grain in point of impact or recoil. Honestly can any of you?
    Majorlk likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    For my H&K USP .40 S&W, I use Remington Golden Saber HPJs as my choice of defensive carry loads. I used to carry Federal Hydrashock JHPs but have switched to Golden Sabers in 2007.

I personally carry the Golden Saber 180 grainers. I have shot quite a few things with it and always had mushrooms.
    Eric357 likes this.
    One more step and it's on!

I know a DEA agent who works here in Arkansas, and he said their department uses Speer Gold Dots. That's what I carry in my Sig. I also have some magazines with Federal HST and some with Winchester Ranger-T, but Speer is my go to round.
    Eric357 likes this.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Primarily 180 grain HSTs, although I have also carried 155 Gr. HSTs, 155 Gr. Hydra-Shoks and 180 Gr. PDX-1.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I switched over to Federal .40 180gr HST, but they are darn near impossible to find anymore.

Now an observation...

It may not apply to SD rounds, but I recently did some testing of sorts to see if my new gun was a picky eater, my home cooking, or flat out had manuf. issues. 5 different brands of 180gr FMJ ammo. Every single one of them had different perceived recoil, and IIRC WWB was by far the softest, as in it seemed that it barely had enough powder to go bang. Sorry, no crono results, this was a strictly fling lead down range in reasonable rapid fire looking for Fail To Feeds (my gun hates Ten X out of Wyoming - resident rage ammo at the counter fired 3 shots, FTF every round thereafter).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by 5thMarines View Post
    Im curious as to what rounds you guys recommend for carry ?
    I recomend excessive dryfire, reload & malfunction drills with aluminum snap caps till you wear them out, and enough practice ammo & shooting classes to insure you can deliver accurate, fast fire with whatever shoots to point of aim-point of impact with your chose sights.

Chasing the ammo fairy is as realistic as believing a stripper likes you.

Chose a round from a major manufacturer that complies with FBI Balistic testing, shoots accurately in your gun and doesn't cause malfunctions.

Then, practice till your eyes bleed, do burpees, them practice again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I switched over to Federal .40 180gr HST, but they are darn near impossible to find anymore.
    Check the mail order ammo dealers (ATG doesn't have any) for the huge supply that Federal sold. It was a government contract that (I understand) fell through. My local gun store bought three pallets (roughly 3 million rounds) and was/is selling it for $19.95/50. Needless to say I grabbed 1K as soon as it went on sale. :)

Note: for those in Connecticut, it's Hoffman's that has it.

My all time favorite is the WW 155 Silvertip. Hot load and very accurate but have not been able to find them in years now so I have switched to 165 Gold Dots. Almost as accurate.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    Double Tap 125gr Barnes Tac- XP for me.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    If you're already using Gold Dots and you're not getting FTFs and you can hit what you're aiming at, then I see no reason to change. Gold Dots are a great SD round and have a good track record.

For self defense I shoot nothing but Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot as follows:
    9mm=124grain HST(M&P)
    357Sig=125grain Gold Dot(M&P)
    40S&W=165grain HST in my M&P and 180grain HST in my Gen4 glock22
    45ACP=230grain HST +P(Springfield Armory XDM)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links