.40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads?

This is a discussion on .40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently carrying a Glock 22 Gen 4 .40 cal. for personal protection. I have been using the Remington Golden Saber JHP in 180 ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: .40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads?

I am currently carrying a Glock 22 Gen 4 .40 cal. for personal protection. I have been using the Remington Golden Saber JHP in 180 grain for my protection round. I have been doing some on-line research concerning this load and others. I have found that the Golden Saber has a history of losing it jacketing on impact and in some cases not mushrooming very well or at all.
    I have looked at and researched the Hornady Critical Defense in 165 grain and the Critical Duty at 175 grain. Everything I have read and all the video I have seen on ballistic testing of these two rounds is very positive. Because of the test result meeting the FBI standard I am considering changing to the Hornady.
    However, I am concerned about the weight drop from the 180 grain I use now since I have a good supply of FMJ 180 rounds. Does anyone know if there will be much of a difference from 180 to either 165 or 175 grain?
    Look forward to some good conversation on this. So I am in the same boat concering this question as others. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Check with Palmetto State Armory concering the rounds you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    These all pass FBI/IWBA testing protocol.
    According to who? The FBI? Can you link the FBI study that supports that conclusion cause I have been looking for it but can't find it. Thanks!

I was on the Midway USA sight and watched a test video and saw comments stating that. As for the link Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA and search Hornady

I have two 40 S&W pistols and I have fired 180gr Federal HST, 180gr Remington Golden Saber, and 180gr Speer Gold Dots. All work well in my two pistols but for my XD 40 SC I use Speer Gold Dots Short Barrel.

Federal Hydra Shok Ammo

I don't know why people keep saying that Federal Hydra Shok Ammo is not good? Yes, it's an OLD technology, but would you want to get shot with one?? The Federal Premium Tactical Hydra Shok .45ACP and .40 cal round is an extremely accurate and very powerful round and even if the hollow cavity doesn't expand all the way, it still packs a whallop!! I understand the HST is all the rage now, just like how Hydra Shok was all the rage when it first came out, and a lot of bad guys are now pushing up daisies because of the Hydra Shok and still are. I use the Hydra Shok in my 1911's and Glock's and I feel 100% confident that if I ever had to defend my life with it, this powerful round would not fail me!! Since when does old mean not good?
    Last edited by Jetman45; November 9th, 2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Adding information

currently my sig p250 is loaded out with corbon 165gr jhp. thinking of trying the critical duty 180 gr rounds. roommate carries a glock 26 with 124gr critical defense

I have recently changed from Hornady Critical Defense to Hornady Critical Duty in my Beretta PX4. Why, because I liked them so much in my Kahr CM9.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

VIP Member

Re: .40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I don't understand why you want to change in the first place. "The good stuff" is expensive and 165 gr. Gold Dots are a GREAT SD choice. If the Gold Dots run right in your gun then I say keep what you got.
    That's what I keep in my PX4 for the odd occasion I feel like carrying it. Pretty much only carry my .357sigs though.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

My carry mags are loaded with Gold Dot 155gr, and my spare mags are loaded with PDX1 180gr JHP from the plain Winchester white box.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Anything bonded and in 180gr should do. I like the Winchester, Speer and Federal brand stuff. Can't really tell any difference between the three but ill always buy whatever comes in a 50rd box and is in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetman45 View Post
    I don't know why people keep saying that Federal Hydra Shok Ammo is not good? Yes, it's an OLD technology, but would you want to get shot with one??
    Noby is saying that it is not good, it is just as you said, dated, not to mention that the HST (new technology) is also cheaper.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

In my own testing, I have found the 180 grain Golden Sabers to hold together the best. Take this with a grain of salt though because my testing is far from scientific. I don't use ballistic gel and my test medium isn't consistent. That being said, I don't care if it was guaranteed to mushroom perfectly everytime and guaranteed to kill the BG with one shot, if my gun didn't shoot them well I wouldn't carry them. It gets expensive, but if you're serious about finding a good bullet for self defense, try them all and use the one that shoots the best from your gun. You can't kill what you can't hit. Practice, practice, practice. I put over 400 rounds of golden sabers through my gun before I felt comfortable that they were the rounds for me.

180 HST's for me in my G23.

Here's a link to ATK's Wound Ballistics Load Comparison for Speer and Federal:

Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Load Comparison

I use 180gr Federal HST's or Speer Gold Dots. The expanded HST's look nasty.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links