.40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads?

This is a discussion on .40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My choices after much research & info I've received on this site are Federal Tactical HST 180gr & Speer Gold Dot HP 165gr. For practice ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: .40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads?

GH
    My choices after much research & info I've received on this site are Federal Tactical HST 180gr & Speer Gold Dot HP 165gr.

For practice I use Federal American Eagle 165 gr FMJ. I always make a point of shooting at least a few rounds of the SD ammo when shooting holes in paper. Each has a different "feel".
    schwanie likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

2. Remove Ads

I settled on Black Hills Ammo 180gr JHP (XTP bullet). I also buy their 180gr FMJ for practice, so I should be getting a consistent feel regardless of which I shoot. Yes, the XTP is not the most current flavor, but it's a solid performer. And I like to spend my money supporting a local business that makes world-class ammo.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Here are a few threads on .40 ammo.

.40 S&W Ammo by MBI - 180gr FMJ

40 S&W ammo

I pretty much refuse to use anything other than Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot's.

I prefer the heavy for caliber weights...I.e 180 instead of 165 for the .40.

I prefer 180gr Federal HST or 180gr Winchester Ranger T in my Kahr CM40 3.1"

By all means, experiment all you want & read as much as you can find--I'll admit to having done plenty of both. It especially makes sense when you're talking about a marginal caliber & you're trying to eke out every advantage, no matter how small. But with a .40, both gun & ammo are at the top end of inherent capability and reliability compared to 99.99% of the self-defense guns ever carried in the history of the world. Pick any available, affordable American-made JHP, make sure your gun feeds it, and only change it out (a) if you want to, or (b) if any characteristic of the gun/load makes you feel like you're having to unnecessarily overcome some particular disadvantage. If that takes the fun out of it, then experiment to your heart's content and enjoy the hobby.

From a practical standpoint, even your FMJ "practice" ammo is flatpointed, with ballistics very similar to the old .38-40, which was viewed as pretty potent medicine. And your modern mag-fed super-reliable auto with superior sights, ergonomics, expanding ammo, etc., means you can pour out multiple times the firepower of the old .38-40 revolver. You are so well-armed it's incredible, yet you will still have to fight with all the coolness and determination you can muster if you ever are tried by fire. IMO, you don't need to sweat ammo selection.

And BTW, OP, anyone who has ever served in the 5th Marines deserves our entire country's undying gratitude. You've got mine!
    Last edited by LouisianaMan; November 20th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

my cousin gave me a box of Federal Premium LE 50 rounds for my g22. He told me not to use anything else. I guess he uses that in his duty/carry. He said they are the best. I've shot some other brands like the Remington UMC and I didn't care for those too much.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    My choices after much research & info I've received on this site are Federal Tactical HST 180gr & Speer Gold Dot HP 165gr.

For practice I use Federal American Eagle 165 gr FMJ. I always make a point of shooting at least a few rounds of the SD ammo when shooting holes in paper. Each has a different "feel".
    Great Choice(s)

I go back and forth between 165gr Gold Dots and 180gr Win PDX1, but those are my most common carry rounds. Range ammo is whatever I can put my hands on at the time for the cheapest cash outlay.

All SD rounds I've tried function flawlessly in my XD (but then again, that pistol would probably eat 7.62x39 in a pinch - everything works ...).

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I like the gold dots also ....
    Agree, Gold Dots in any caliber are excellent. Good source of ammo testing, IMO, is tnoutdoors9 on YouTube.
    YouTube

Currently I use Winchester Q4369 180gr bonded HP as my SD ammo along with one magazine of 180gr HST. Its winter time so I want the penetration that a bonded bullet gives. Come spring ill switch over to the HST again.

I only carry 155 and 180gr in my gun.

.40 SW , what are best defensive carry loads?

Quote Originally Posted by skitchk20 View Post
    currently my sig p250 is loaded out with corbon 165gr jhp. thinking of trying the critical duty 180 gr rounds. roommate carries a glock 26 with 124gr critical defense
    That would be Critical Duty 175grn and for the 9mm, 135grn.

Just sayin...

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Shoot what you use, use what you shoot, hit what your aiming at. Thats about all I can put out there

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    This my understanding. The 180 gr needs to have a barrel with a 1:14 twist. The 165 gr is supposed to be the most accurate in barrels with a 1:16 twist. Most 40's have 1:16 twist. Also, minimum OAL must be looked at more closely with a 180 gr bullet since it fills the 40 case so much, and leaves little room for the powder. Any set back greatly increases chamber pressure.
    The 165 gr will have a higher velocity, and most defense situations will be at close range, 7 yards, or less.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thMarines View Post
    Please explain in detail , I also like the 180 grn fmj to practice with , I have been using 165 grn jhp to carry , however I was wondering if moving up to 175 or 180 would make a difference or not , you seem to think possibly ,please tell me why!

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    DPX
    Its in all mine also 9,40 and 38

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links