.357 SIG or 9MM?

This is a discussion on .357 SIG or 9MM? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive always wanted the Glock 19 , I had to carry a 17 for duty carry way back in the day , never got a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .357 SIG or 9MM?

.357 SIG or 9MM?

Ive always wanted the Glock 19 , I had to carry a 17 for duty carry way back in the day , never got a 19 though , I actually like the 19 better , however ,Im also not a big fan of the 9mm , I think ballistically the 357 sig round matches up to and exceeds the 9mm in just about every way , I also like the Glock 32 , not sure which way to go , Obviously the the 19 offers a better range of ammo selections and prices , but the SIG is really interesting right now! If anyone else has a Glock 19 and a Glock 32 , please share the differences

2. Remove Ads

I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 27. This week I switched out the .40 barrel and tried the .357 sig. It is DEFINITELY a handful. I had a tough time with followup shots. With my G19, I can fire 10 rapid shots all within 3 inches at 7 yards. With the .357 sig ... I had to concentrate more. The boom was bigger, the flash was brighter, the recoil was significantly higher.

For me, I'm more comfortable and accurate with my G19. Granted the G27 platform is smaller, but I didn't feel the recoil as bad in the .40.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

I just got a 19. I like it. My first Glock. But I have an M&P in 357 SIG. I love that gun, and I love that cartridge. When I ordered my 19, I truly debated between the 19 and the 32 (same gun in 357 SIG). I went with the 9 because it is cheap to feed and you can get ammo anywhere. If there is a drawback to the SIG round, it is ammo. Hard to find and dreadfully expensive. But all hands agree that it is a stopper. I know several cops who carry it, and they love it. Some would say that it is just a 9mm +P+, and it may be on paper, but it has quite a reputation for stretching the bad guys out. Make sure you have a source for ammo, and can afford to feed it. Loading it is a bear, both reloading and loading the mags. The shoulder is tough to push the rim over, so I use an uplula. I don't think recoil is much of an issue. Of course, I have not shot one in the Glock platform. Come to think of it, I still have not shot my new 19 either. A sorry thing. But after owning a 357 SIG, I will always have one.

Well if the price is right for the 357 sig I may go that route , however if a barrel change is all thats needs , Ill stick with my G22 and change out the barrel! My biggest concern is the price of ammo , I know the round is a stopper , its more like +p++ !

While the Sig 357 does a great job of imitation for the 357 magnum, I have no use for it. It is limited to the lighter bullets, and the revolver is more versatile. The 9mm in my opinion is a better option.

However, this is my opinion, and for my needs/ likes. Not everyone has the same goals.

One could do alot worse.

But since ammo availability seems to be an issue with the Sig, I'll just stick to my " GlockZilla cartridge. The 9x25 Dillon. It shoots a 124 weight 9mm bullet at over 1700 fps.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thMarines View Post
    Well if the price is right for the 357 sig I may go that route , however if a barrel change is all thats needs , Ill stick with my G22 and change out the barrel! My biggest concern is the price of ammo , I know the round is a stopper , its more like +p++ !
    ^^^ This. That is the nice thing about the Glock .40's, you only need to swap out the barrel. Ditto for Sigs. and I think the M&Ps as well.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    While the Sig 357 does a great job of imitation for the 357 magnum, I have no use for it. It is limited to the lighter bullets, and the revolver is more versatile. The 9mm in my opinion is a better option.

However, this is my opinion, and for my needs/ likes. Not everyone has the same goals.

One could do alot worse.

But since ammo availability seems to be an issue with the Sig, I'll just stick to my " GlockZilla cartridge. The 9x25 Dillon. It shoots a 124 weight 9mm bullet at over 1700 fps.
    Why not a 147gr. bullet ye of "heavy for caliber " fame? j/k

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Why not a 147gr. bullet ye of "heavy for caliber " fame? j/k
    Well, I actually do. But up until recently they were not available from DT. Just 90 grn at 2100 fps and 115 at something else.
    But I think given the incredible velocity of 1700 fps, in this case the 124 has enough juice behind it to compensate pretty good for people.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

"[I know the round is a stopper , its more like +p++ !]"

It might feel that way, But there is NO such animal as +p++ ; )PS The 9mm ammo cost would be the factor, Of course if you reloade it would help out MUCH!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

If you reload , the 147 gr XTP is a great bullet for the 357 sig.
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

I went through the same delemma as the op. While trying (and failing) to find a g19 locally I found a honey of a used g32 already equipped with truglo sights like new for $400

I had already owned a g32 back in my pre ccw days and liked it great deal and and since I already own a g34 for cheap practice I had no qualms about going w the sig round. Being a reloaded will help as well.

I look at the 357 sig as a super 9mm where every round you buy is like getting the best +p+ 9x19 money can buy plus another 100 fps sprinkled on top just for good measure.

Practice 9mm may cost mless but jhp's that perform most like 357sig are just as expensive

posted via tapatalk using android.

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    I have a G19 and a G23. My next purchase is going to be a .357 Sig barrel for the G23. I am really impressed with the street reports on the .357 and plan on carrying that instead of my .40 barrel. I will still be able to shoot the G19 for practice at a cheaper price. What ever caliber you chose I think you will like the G19/23/32 platform for CCW.

The 357 Sig is a better round than the 9mm no questions asked ! it puts out 506-574 ft-lbs of energy, something a 9mm +P+ can't do ! It also loads easier.
    It's a superior round plain and simple. The downfall of it is it's more expensive and harder to find, for now anyway. More and more State Police and Local police are using the 357 Sig these days. VA, TX, NJ, some college police, the Secret service and CIA besides others are using the 357 now. It's just starting to become popular which means in time prices may come down, and availability will become greater. Exactly when, I don't know !

I carry 147 gr Hornady XTP in my Glock 32 and Glock 33. Got a Storm Lake G23 .40 drop in barrel so I can shoot .40 SW as well. .357SIG and .40 SW mags are interchangeable as the SIG .357 is just a necked down 40 cartridge. Don't really notice much difference in recoil between the 9mm Glock and the .357SIG, but the SIG will definitely wake up the neighbors.....and annoys everyone at the indoor range that forgot to bring their "good' hearing protection.

Rightwing likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have a 357 SIG barrel for my P229. I realize you specifically asked about the Glocks, but I will say FWIW that I keep the .40 barrel in the P229 most of the time. Reason is that the 357 SIG is louder, flashes more, is more expensive, and is more "poppy" and difficult to control than the .40, so it seems to me that for HD the .40 is better. Add to that the extra cost of 357 SIG ammo and in my mind the cartridge is more of a novelty, at least for my purposes. I will note that despite the trouble with extra recoil and flash, the groups tend to be tighter for the 357 than the .40 when I shoot them side by side, and I've read that it is more effective at longer ranges. For your average gun owner though, especially with the lighter Glock frame, I think the 9mm is a better choice if you have to choose between that and 357 SIG. Figure a much more controllable gun with far cheaper practice ammo and still very effective round and I say you've got a winner. Since you have the Glock 22 I say get yourself a 357 SIG barrel for it and have some fun, especially since with it being a little bigger you should have a better time with follow-up shots than you would with the same cartridge in the compact frame the size of the 19.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links